House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Android Nuisance Call Blocker.

Is there a call blocker with a database of nuisance caller numbers available for Android?

I've just blocked another telephone answering machine telling me I've been involved in an accident.

A system to share this info and update a shared database, updated weekly like a speed camera database, would be good.

Kind of.

There's Whoscall app which tells you the company name of the number ringing you, or if it's a nuisance call etc. Doesn't work with all numbers but probably about 75% of the nuisance calls I get.

Or you can just use the Auto Reject list of feature of later Androids. Top-right corner of the Phonebook, select the number you want to block, then click on "Add to Auto Reject list".

I use one where I just add them myself. Haven't seen an auto update one. I suppose its difficult for a company to class another companies phone number as 'nuisance' and block it on an app for potentially millions of people - without fears of huge potential financial legal implications ?

I used Mr Number very happily for quite a while, but since an Android upgrade to 6.01 or somesuch, it wont block texts.

I think now you can only have one app managing your texts, so in order to block texts you need to hand over text management to said replacement app.

Dont like the idea of that.

Mr Number was great in that you could set it to munch calls and texts and it wouldnt even tell you it had done it.

Perfect.

I used Mr Number very happily for quite a while, but since an Android upgrade to 6.01 or somesuch, it wont block texts.

I think now you can only have one app managing your texts, so in order to block texts you need to hand over text management to said replacement app.

Dont like the idea of that.

Mr Number was great in that you could set it to munch calls and texts and it wouldnt even tell you it had done it.

Perfect.

Same on Android 5 which I have, but junk calls are the main annoyance. The standard Android SMS app lets me block numbers retrospectively.

Mr Number has just blocked it's first "scam or fraud" number.

My wife's phone rang, and when she answered, hung up. Mr Number, on my phone, blocked the same number. My wife refuses to install any call intercept software in case she misses something.