House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Circumventing Manchester..in Search Of The North West Passage

Just hate using motorways, especially when going on holiday, so boring and a real downer. To me the journey is usually better than the holiday because we get to see several market towns, some nice countryside and don't get stuck in a jam for two hours. I would sooner be strapped in a chair to watch Jeremy Kyle than have the depression of using the M6 to start a holiday.

Got a tricky one coming up in a couple of weeks...Peak district to Southport...not been before.

For all you Lancastrians I am wondering about a decent route across the northern boundary of Manchester, I always use the side of Saddleworth moor via Uppermill on the Eastern side. Is the A58 from Heywood to Bolton ring road fairly free flowing, whence I would plan to head up to Standish (via Horwich) and then Burscough....unless there is a better way other than following everybody else on the M6 from Knutsford.

Seeing a few Satanic mills en route, far more fun than a motorway service station.

Depending where in Peaks you are coming from, if you usually pick up M6 at Knutsford, simply dont. Instead stick to A roads. So, for instance, Macclesfield to Knutsford A537 (very pleasant), Knutsford to Warrington A50 (very pleasant) then whichever to Southport.

Avoid Mcr completely. Avoid M60 like the plague. Avoid M62 like the plague. Unless youre travelling late evening they are all car parks.

A58 through Heywood to M66 in Bury. Head north on M66, then A56 to M65. Follow it towards Preston. Then either drop down M61 to Chorley, or go to the end of the M65 and you can peel off somewhere in South Preston. Both better than A58 through Bury and Bolton.

Avoiding Manchester by going via the Andes would a hell of a circumvention!

And if you want to take a sensible route, it's not a good idea to start off from a place called MorĂ³n Airport.