House Price Crash Forum
Patient London FTB

Generation Rent: Young, Married, Pregnant And Stuck In A House Share

Mortgage repayments as a percentage of take-home pay are far lower for first-time buyers today than for those in the boom periods of 2005-07 and 1989-90.

In London, tenants in an average two-bed flat would be spending 52pc of their salary on rent alone.

They really should use regional data on both if they're going to make this comparison

oTJnkvb.png

If you can stomach it, move from the South East to the North.

Quality of Life is better.

What you may lose in wages you get back in terms of having your life back

They should not buy iPads, plasmer TVs etc.

Work hard like I had to in 1972 when there was zero global competition for wages or jobs. I had to work damn hard for my deposit for my 50p house.

So what if it's now worth £300k, I'm not giving it away etc.

IPAD's/TV's which are no longer luxury items, do not make a difference when it comes to buying property in London - trust me I know. Plus as humans we need some things to help our existence it cant all be 100% working to live.

Finding it hard to find sympathy for these two:

Three years ago, married couple Christina and Darby Manning were spending £18,000 renting a one-bed apartment in south London on a joint, pre-tax income of £45,000.

I'd question the sanity of anyone living in London on a individual wage of of less than £50k let alone joint! But then they wouldn't be able to tell us provincial losers how absolutely fabulous their life is in the big smoke. They'd rather house share with strangers as a married couple than leave and have a normal life literally anywhere else. Sorry but they are both losers.

Quite surprised to see this in the Telegraph on the back of the Civitas report. Sympathy for renters, whatever next.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/renting/generation-rent-young-married-pregnant-and-stuck-in-a-house-shar/

Whilst I support, welcome and laud anything that highlights todays obscene housing costs, especially for the young, it does seem to me that there also needs to be a change in attitude towards living with parents/relatives.

Note the comments made.....

"Mrs Manning said: “Nobody wants to be a married couple living with their mum and dad.

“My mum loved having us there, but hated the fact we couldn’t afford to live our own lives.”

Nobody? Really? It wasn't that far back in history that having multiple generations living under one roof (and often in pretty cramped conditions too!) was, if not the norm, at least accepted.

It seems to me that the ability of, particularly, the post-WW2 generations to setup a nest of their own away from mum and dad (and even gran and grandad) was one of the most symbolic indicators of increasing affluence and disposable income. But even then, just because they may have had the means to setup their own homes, didn't often mean being 100% happy at doing so. But today, if people were to say they were voluntarily living with parents they would likely typically get strange looks.

It does also seem to me that this antipathy to ones own family, and expectation to flee the nest, is a notably more Anglo-Saxon trait. I have noted that the culture (and possibly even expectation?) of multiple generations living under same roof is more prevalent in, say, Asian families - even where lack of money is not the driving force to do so. Many such people easily have the means to setup their own homes yet think nothing of continuing to live with extended family - often spending their money on extending their suburban semi to cater for it (admittedly sometimes to amazing extents).

So, yes, lets continue to beat the drum for housing affordability but please a little less of the denigration of family. When did we get to the point where it became acceptable to feel ashamed at living with ones parents?

Could it also be that the one or two generations that came to take for granted the ability to leave home at 18 and setup their own homes, on their own, was just an abberation? and that what is happening is a reversion to longer term historical patterms of living styles?

Edited by anonguest

I find it desperately sad.

My own daughter and her boyfriend are just moving down to start work in the SE having just finished uni. This is their future.

Hopefully they'll get it out of their systems and promptly move away. Jobs permitting of course.

This is the problem when you deindustrialise an entire country, and then hoard all the replacement jobs on one small area.

I find it desperately sad.

My own daughter and her boyfriend are just moving down to start work in the SE having just finished uni. This is their future.

Yes, it is very sad. I have younger relatives in the same position in their early 20s. They've made what ought to be "good" choices: studied hard to get STEM degrees, applied for lots of jobs, now earning "decent" wages in socially useful jobs. Chances of accumulating a modest amount of capital during their working lives as things stand? Close to zero.

While the Establishment monkey around with bombing nutters in the desert and arguing about Europe there is an entire generation being economically crippled.

I'd question the sanity of anyone living in London on a individual wage of of less than £50k let alone joint! But then they wouldn't be able to tell us provincial losers how absolutely fabulous their life is in the big smoke. They'd rather house share with strangers as a married couple than leave and have a normal life literally anywhere else. Sorry but they are both losers.

They moved in with one of parents which suggests that they have family in the area and were possibly born there. Are you suggesting that society is better off when people are forced to move away from friends and family? Personally I think that society should lower the Tucking cost of housing!

Edited by doahh

They moved in with one of parents which suggests that they have family in the area and were possibly born there. Are you suggesting that society is better off when people are forced to move away from friends and family? Personally I think that society should lower the Tucking cost of housing!

No and its sad that anyone has too move away from where they grew up. But they need to face reality, they are paupers who want to live in the most expensive city in the world. They got a kid on the way and compromises have to be made. They could have a house with garden in most other cities for their child to grow up in, yet they are still holding out to rent some 1 bedroom 3rd floor slave box in some shite area of London on one relatively crap London wage. They need to get real.

So basically if you were born and raised in London, you'd better be on £50K or GTFO of our your home city? Ahhh, civilised Britain.

We've moved twice now. Left London.

First job my partner was made redundant and nothing going in the immediate area. I couldn't find work at all (easy for me in London). Moved to another area with good work prospects. Rented while we found our balance and hopefully a job for me (my partner had one). House prices now sky high here.

When the Londoners move to find work we bring the rising prices with us. If any area has enough jobs it will have house prices going high.

Edited by Flopsy

So basically if you were born and raised in London, you'd better be on £50K or GTFO of our your home city? Ahhh, civilised Britain.

I agree it's a crap situation for those born in London or anywhere where you get priced out. What I don't get is these two sticking their heads in the sand. Their situation in the "good" times when they had two incomes was pissing over half their net combined salary on rent. Now their situation is now much worse, they'll be down to one salary and baby on the way (which if planned is pure madness) yet nowhere in that article did I see anything about even considering moving out of London.

I agree it's a crap situation for those born in London or anywhere where you get priced out. What I don't get is these two sticking their heads in the sand. Their situation in the "good" times when they had two incomes was pissing over half their net combined salary on rent. Now their situation is now much worse, they'll be down to one salary and baby on the way (which if planned is pure madness) yet nowhere in that article did I see anything about even considering moving out of London.

I recommend reading this book, 'Exit, Voice and Loyalty' by Albert O. Hirschmann:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exit-Voice-Loyalty-Responses-Organizations/dp/0674276604

He says that there are two mechanisms for change to happen when people are unhappy: they can either leave or they can stay and make themselves heard.

This couple have chosen to make themselves heard in a national newspaper. Yes they could leave their family, friends and professional contacts and move somewhere else. At an individual level that might improve their lives but probably they would just price a Northerner out of a house so no overall gain for society.

This crisis is ultimately a political one so I have respect for people who are trying to engage in politics (like this newspaper article) to drive change.

You can't buy much on £50K. The solution in London is simple tell everyone on housing benefit for a year to move somewhere cheaper.

If we stay in the EU we can buy a Spanish ghost town for them (a good argument for remain).

So you get told to get on your bike to find work.

Yet living near work is unaffordable.

So you then get told to fook off where you can afford I live. Which is where there's no jobs.

This is the end game of the thatcher/Blair dystopia.

So you then get told to fook off where you can afford I live. Which is where there's no jobs.

double bind ?

The only winning move is to ignore the people who want to tell you how to live your life.

They should not buy iPads, plasmer TVs etc.

Work hard like I had to in 1972 when there was zero global competition for wages or jobs. I had to work damn hard for my deposit for my 50p house.

So what if it's now worth £300k, I'm not giving it away etc.

They don't know how to work hard. When I bought my 50p house I had to work down mine 600 hours a week, eat nothing but coal dust and got a good beating from me dad for rising above my place and buying a 50p house instead of a 25p house.

They don't know how to work hard. When I bought my 50p house I had to work down mine 600 hours a week, eat nothing but coal dust and got a good beating from me dad for rising above my place and buying a 50p house instead of a 25p house.

Or have three jobs and not walk around with a £4 cup of coffee in my hand but hey tell as it as you want to see it. It's tough now and the only option if you want change is to vote out since even the remain camp believe this will reduce house prices.

In fact it will create a good amount of political and business chaos, that will enable lasting change. Yet the polls all tell us the remain vote hinges on the younger generation voting in FFS - what has this system done for you in the last 25 years ?