House Price Crash Forum

The Official Brexit - Remain Thread - All New Threads Will Be Merged Into This One

spyguy

HOLA441
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Why should a small minority of Dutch people dictate what the rest of the EU does?

Why should a small minority of bureaucrats dictate what the rest of the EU does?

You know as well as I do that if the vote had gone the way they wanted, they would have been trumpeting "democracy in action" "the people have spoken" etc. Since that didn't happen, they're trying to imply those people and their opinions don't matter.

What was the purpose of the referendum in the first place, then?

HOLA443

Why should a small minority of Dutch people dictate what the rest of the EU does?

It doesn't. Not even a large majority could. The EU is not an accountable democracy.

Don't forget that the Treaty is already signed and ratified with no deference to EU citizens whatsoever.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Interestingly the petition `Hold a general election in 2016` is gathering 3,000 votes an hour !People are pissed off.

Like the Dutch, the UK has about 20% of core anti EU types who seem to think they have the right to dictate to everyone else. They don't as you are soon to find out.

HOLA447

It doesn't. Not even a large majority could. The EU is not an accountable democracy.

Don't forget that the Treaty is already signed and ratified with no deference to EU citizens whatsoever.

So are you suggesting that the UK government holds a referendum every time it passes a piece of legislation then, or agrees to a piece of EU legislation? You would finish up with a referendum every week. Edited by campervanman

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

20% hit on Sterling, 40% hit on house prices, plenty of Euros, Cameron history, bring it on :D.

40% fall in house prices? You are having a larf. With a large number of the 2 million ex pats in Europe buying up homes in the UK there won't be any falls. The available housing stock in the UK will be even more squeezed with the returning expats, add in all those additional boomer votes for boomer friendly policies + claiming all the free stuff available in the UK + clogging up doctors surgeries and hospitals and you can see how things will go following Brexit should it mean they need to return to the UK. Personally I will occupy the house I own in the UK for the minimum period each year I need to do to become UK resident and make sure I claim all the stuff I can get ( bus pass, winter fuel allowance etc etc) and I know many others who will be doing the same.

HOLA4412

40% fall in house prices? You are having a larf. With a large number of the 2 million ex pats in Europe buying up homes in the UK there won't be any falls. The available housing stock in the UK will be even more squeezed with the returning expats, add in all those additional boomer votes for boomer friendly policies + claiming all the free stuff available in the UK + clogging up doctors surgeries and hospitals and you can see how things will go following Brexit should it mean they need to return to the UK. Personally I will occupy the house I own in the UK for the minimum period each year I need to do to become UK resident and make sure I claim all the stuff I can get ( bus pass, winter fuel allowance etc etc) and I know many others who will be doing the same.

You're not a happy camper are you?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Brexit would definitely p1ss me off. It would probably mean I would need to go on a few cruises each winter instead of 6 months in Spain as I would need to be in the UK for a few months. It would be tough but I would get over it.

You can leave the UK for as long as you like. You may lose your right to NHS treatment but if you return to the UK with the intention of taking up residence you will immediately be eligible again, at least that's how I understand it. State pension has no limits other than if some of it is benefit derived, and if you're really worried about your winter fuel allowance pop back for a week in September.

I can't think of anything more boring than a cruise, except perhaps two cruises.

You take life too seriously, relax and enjoy it.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Or not.

EU Facts: What would leaving the EU mean for expats?
Would Britain leaving the European Union see British expatriates deported en masse? What happens to their property? We answer your questions
Please do!
Could expats really be barred from EU healthcare and benefits?
It's possible, but unlikely - not least given that it would open the door to retaliatory measures from the UK which hosts its own share of expats from European nations: there are as many as 3 million EU nationals living in Britain.
British expats can also claim to pay their own way in Europe, as the UK paid £674 million in 2014-2015 to other European countries for the treatment of UK nationals. However, the UK received just £49 million from other European nations in the same year to treat those from other countries residing in the UK.

Dam it! Well what about expats deported by EU members?

Expats would also enjoy significant legal protections that would apply after Brexit. Many lawyers argue that British expats living elsewhere in the EU at the time of Brexit would have individual "acquired rights" under international law.....

......In other words, Brits who have already exercised their right to live in EU states would keep that right after Brexit.

Where's the fear?

Source :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12177399/EU-Facts-What-would-leaving-the-EU-mean-for-expats.html

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Or not.

Please do!

Dam it! Well what about expats deported by EU members?

Where's the fear?

Source :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12177399/EU-Facts-What-would-leaving-the-EU-mean-for-expats.html

Brexit = uncertainty. Nobody knows how things will pan out if the vote was to leave, it therefore makes sense to have a plan B that covers different outcomes. That applies to those living in the UK in favour of Brexit as well as those living elsewhere who are in favour of staying in.

HOLA4419

Brexit = uncertainty. Nobody knows how things will pan out if the vote was to leave, it therefore makes sense to have a plan B that covers different outcomes. That applies to those living in the UK in favour of Brexit as well as those living elsewhere who are in favour of staying in.

Everything is uncertain with Cameron's government, they change direction at the drop of a hat if they think it will win them votes, hence I have a number of different plans which I hope will cover most eventualities.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Shouldn't be allowed, you left the country, therefore your voting right with it.

Why do you think it is ok for Brits living abroad to be treated differently than citizens of the US, France, Germany, Italy and many other developed nations and lose the right to vote on issues that directly affect them? Is this part of the isolationist view of the future that you see for the UK? Brits should stay in the UK and if they leave for any reason then we will punish them by removing their democratic rights.

HOLA4422

Why do you think it is ok for Brits living abroad to be treated differently than citizens of the US, France, Germany, Italy and many other developed nations and lose the right to vote on issues that directly affect them? Is this part of the isolationist view of the future that you see for the UK? Brits should stay in the UK and if they leave for any reason then we will punish them by removing their democratic rights.

If I used to live in Devon but have now moved to Somerset do you think I should be allowed to vote in the Devon elections? I mean, I might want to move back there one day and I do drive through it once a year.

Thanks.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Are you sure they`re plebs ? Most don`t know one end of a computer from t`tother.

Petitions collecting 200,000 in just a few days is something new.

The question is just how many people do you need to start a `revolution`? Maybe we should ask the Nazis, they were the experts.