House Price Crash Forum

The Official Brexit - Remain Thread - All New Threads Will Be Merged Into This One

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ILLUSION OF CHOICE

You've all gotten what you wanted. All the positives of being in the EU, and none of the negative. Oh...

Yer (unelected) man there, his job is done.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/furious-nigel-farage-to-take-control-of-britains-exit-from-the-e/

And another tool speaks (Dan Hannan)

Certainly we are going to feel the effects of this decision in our bank accounts for weeks, months, and years.

And carte blanche given to the UK's own unelected bureaucrats to fleece all of us. (new boss, same as the old boss n'est pas?)

Just wait until Gidiot unleashed emergency measures on us all.

And of course, the impending market upheaval when big margins selloffs run, hedge funds, banks, and pensions collapse, with all central banks flooding the market with QE on rage virus.

On the plus side, we can no longer say that the Yanks are the dumbest bunch. We've now taken back the crown.

Oh, and Scotland thanks everybody for bringing about all the requirements for a guaranteed succession from the Union.

Final tip of the hat to Ricky Gervais:

Ricky Gevais the Voice of Hampstead

This. Signing this petition turns them from 'concerned youth' to spoiled little brats with overblown sense of entitlement. It brings a shocking news that their views and opinions are not one iota more important than anyone else's. It's a revolutionary concept for some of them, really.

A lot of the people signing the petition will probably have been just as ignored by the establishment as anyone in a northern Brexit-voting town. Young people have been shafted by tuition fees and house prices and the media treat Corbyn and the Greens as jokes. No-one's been listening to their views and opinions, either.

The people I know pushing this petition aren't Izzard-esque media luvvies in million pound London mansions. They're people who feel that their jobs and their future plans depended on European trade and free movement.

The country is split in half. It's crazy that it's taken such a big event before anyone bothered noticing.

Petition is irrelevant. Will be ignored. Most signing are from London which voted to remain anyway. They are just pathetic losers (literally) - from a generation that apparently doesn't understand either how democracy works or how to lose.

The referendum was fully representative of the entire nation and remain lost. It's over.

Agreed, I work in a school and it appears that the system does not allow anyone to fail and everyone gets a prize.

If you bitch and whine long and loud enough some middle aged biddy of a do-gooder will make some excuses for you.

It`s not good preparation for adulthood as these youngster remainiacs ably demonstrate.

Hmm. I have a doctorate and my own business. Clearly I am thick!

Indeed. Me too. I'm a leave voter, the sheer amount of hate from the left and young is amazing. I have a masters in computational science, work in a research environment ... obviously I'm thick too!

A lot of the people signing the petition will probably have been just as ignored by the establishment as anyone in a northern Brexit-voting town. Young people have been shafted by tuition fees and house prices and the media treat Corbyn and the Greens as jokes. No-one's been listening to their views and opinions, either.

The people I know pushing this petition aren't Izzard-esque media luvvies in million pound London mansions. They're people who feel that their jobs and their future plans depended on European trade and free movement.

The country is split in half. It's crazy that it's taken such a big event before anyone bothered noticing.

I was referring to the hippie London crowd, not the general public.

And I think all those petitions should be responded with this:

'The British people have made a choice, that not only needs to be respected but those on the losing side of the argument - myself included - should help to make it work.'

Listen to your leader, Remainers, as you have so far.

This hasn't half stirred everything up! Seems to be no 'plan B' from our lot although Carney seems to have the cheque book ready like some doting father waiting to bail out his wayward deb daughter. European leaders getting their panties in a bunch and behaving like sixth form girls with bitchy remarks. Lots of vitriolic spittle flying around.

Makes me laugh, I bet almost to a man the remain lot couldn't name their EMP. Glad I lived long enough to see it.

I haven't read this board for years, but it's so refreshing to witness some actual sanity!

The reaction to this result from many of those who wish to remain in the EU succinctly demonstrates the power of the media to use fear to condition people. All those who are reacting strongly against this are simply responding emotionally to something that they've been perpetually told to fear. There is no rational element to their reaction.

Not surprising, as throughout the campaign I heard absolutely no substantial arguments from the remain campaign whatsoever. It was all fearmongering, smear tactics and exploiting the unfortunate (and suspicious) death of that MP. Their campaign would only win over those voting emotionally, so it comes as no shock to me that those that were won over are now responding emotionally.

The way some people are blathering on about it you'd think that we're never going to speak to Europeans ever again, everyone with anything less than 100% Anglo-Saxon blood will be immediately deported, pizza shops and Indian restaurants will be made to close down, foreign films will be banned, you won't be able to watch Spanish football on TV any more, all BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and Porsches will be forcibly torched, and it will be impossible to go on holiday to Magaluf. Let's get some perspective here; very little will change in most people's lives in the foreseeable future.

If I see another celebrity (Noel Gallagher, James Corden, Damon Albarn, J.K. Rowling, Lily Allen, Richard Branson, Bob Geldof, Hugh Laurie, plus too many other halfwits to mention, I'm talking to you) who don't have any problems in their lives whatsoever, no economic issues to consider ever unless the entire world hyperinflates like Zimbabwe (not that any of them know that this happened, let alone understand it), and, Lord only knows, zero understanding of economics or in fact any issues of substance, decrying this as some sort of tragic day akin to the bombing of Hiroshima, I will go spare!

Do you know what Lily Allen said? “I've been crying since Swindon, not even joking. Well millennials. We're really really f*****.” She's been crying! Crying about an entirely sensible decision that she doesn't understand! Crying about an entirely sensible decision that she doesn't understand because 'millennials' (of which I assume she considers herself one) are ****ed! Although her net worth is estimated to be $20 million and she owns a massive house in the country!

Give me strength, honestly...

Totally agree. Toynbe's article was disgraceful. I'm no supporter of Farrage - but to try to link the MP's death with a poster of refugees was slanderous. For one thing, Farrage has been one of the few politicians who has consistently said that genuine refugees should be admitted to the country. I remember him being one of the first politicians asking for Syrian refugees to be admitted.

This is a popular revolt against the neo liberal elite. It goes across party lines. If we had stayed in the EU we would have had no control over the laws passed, no way of removing commissioners, no control over who lives here and with TTIP no control over multinationals at all. Add in the effects of automation and we were heading for a hollowed out state run for the benefit of a handful of rich old men.

I understand the anxiety of people who's livelihoods rely on trade with EU countries, However I believe we are in a strong negotiating position right now. However much the EU elite wants to punish us to stop what they view as 'contagion', they would have to destroy the German car industry to do it. Their dilemma is that we buy 20% of all German cars produced, and the VW scandal has this industry already on the hook for multi billion dollar fines. Tariffs on what are already expensive cars would finish them off. Tit for tat tariffs also have a net benefit to our economy - we import far more from them than they do us. Junker may be desperate for article 50 to give less time for other nations to ditch the EU - but he seems to have forgotten that the EU commission is about to disappear for the holidays, and until Cameron is replace there isn't anyone on our side to negotiate with either.

If I was a post brexit politician I would be doing the rounds on European tv and going on a charm offensive to the people of Europe rather than let the commission dictate the settlement. We many well see several other nations vote to leave the EU before we are actually out.

In the short term there will be some volatility (although that doesn't seem to have been any where near as bad so far as the Remain group predicted - and the fall in the pound largely due to speculators getting burnt on calling the result incorrectly). Long term we get democratic control back, we delay or stop the corporate dictatorship via TTIP, we lower house prices, we reduce pressure on public services. We might even one day start to get pay rises back. There is also the ability for us to elect a Government that finally taxes multinationals fairly - this alone could bring in tens of billions. The icing on the cake would be to see some of the corrupt merchant bankers who have done so much to ruin our democracy depart our shores - or better still like Iceland end up in jail. The pitchforks are out.

+1 great post - completely agree.

We've got to keep our nerve and remember the propaganda and manipulation didn't stop now the ref is 'over' - if anything it will intensify and get harder to discern as opinions get scattered and more diffuse now the tight focus of 'in/out' has gone.

I agree we should be looking to make the most of this window of opportunity over the summer to do some clever manouevering of our own, we would feel much stronger if a couple of other nations annouced refs too and give us some support. I just hope we've got the clever stratagists and negotiators we are going to need leading this....

The EU badly misplayed their hand here, and we should remember their patronising intranigence in the 'negotiations' - if they had given just a little more it may well have swayed it. Now they have to try and look even harder to project a confident face to both their own citizens and the wider world - pretending they don't care...they'll make us pay / suffer (don't get any ideas anyone else....) it's really showing them up for the power hungry arrogant old fools they are and confirms we made the right call to reject this undemocratic incarnation of the EU - hopefully a more sensible version will emerge from the chaos eventually.

Do you think the behaviour of a lot of Remainers since the vote came in is as much because they have had no time whatsoever to contemplate losing?

How many of us (Brexiters) actually, genuinely, believed it was possible? I was expecting defeat (hoping for victory), I had already come to terms with it, that we'd be bullied into voting to stay. I was just happy after all these years to get our say and for me to be able to personally reject the EU.

For me they're reacting like a toddler whose parents have finally stood up and said "No". They react by throwing another tantrum as they've never not got their way before..

Do you think the behaviour of a lot of Remainers since the vote came in is as much because they have had no time whatsoever to contemplate losing?

How many of us (Brexiters) actually, genuinely, believed it was possible? I was expecting defeat (hoping for victory), I had already come to terms with it, that we'd be bullied into voting to stay. I was just happy after all these years to get our say and for me to be able to personally reject the EU.

For me they're reacting like a toddler whose parents have finally stood up and said "No". They react by throwing another tantrum as they've never not got their way before..

Yes. Lots of toys out the trams shit going on here now .