House Price Crash Forum

The Official Brexit - Remain Thread - All New Threads Will Be Merged Into This One

spyguy

HOLA441
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Partner has had to put up with full onslaught from under 30 colleagues for voting out. Just had same on BBC news in Dudley

Oh the irony that it is the indoctrinated under 30s uni graduates that were the storm troopers of high house prices.

Got to rethink boomer threads.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA443

Partner has had to put up with full onslaught from under 30 colleagues for voting out. Just had same on BBC news in Dudley

Oh the irony that it is the indoctrinated under 30s uni graduates that were the storm troopers of high house prices.

Yep, totally my experience. Younger generation wanting to stay. Cannot understand it.

HOLA444

Yep, totally my experience. Younger generation wanting to stay. Cannot understand it.

Could be a case of fear of the unknown...looking back at past you remember the hard times most fondly. GDP never brought happiness. Reading by candle light during the 74 strike was just magical.

HOLA445

Most still living at home removed from the coalface of market rents. They'll get it soon enough.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It's a bit surreal to be an immigrant in a playground in Haringey (75% In) at the moment. As soon as people notice my Boratish accent, they become all apologetic and shit, with mums leading the charge. It's as if they had just voted to sacrifice my firstborn and have my testicles removed. Oh, if I could be single just for this one day... :P

HOLA4412

It's a bit surreal to be an immigrant in a playground in Haringey (75% In) at the moment. As soon as people notice my Boratish accent, they become all apologetic and shit, with mums leading the charge. It's as if they had just voted to sacrifice my firstborn and have my testicles removed. Oh, if I could be single just for this one day... :P

Sounds like something for Barney's playbook (HIMYM). Though the shelf life may be short.

HOLA4413

But ... but ... but what happens when they want to go on their twice yearly (Sun/ Ski) holidays in Europe? They might have marginally more trouble to go through to get travel documents and won't be able to bring as much shopping back with them.

How DARE she impose this horrific, unequal, unfair situation on them! Waaaaaaah! :rolleyes:

HOLA4414

Could be a case of fear of the unknown...looking back at past you remember the hard times most fondly. GDP never brought happiness. Reading by candle light during the 74 strike was just magical.

Yeah, loved the three day week, at least the power cut part of it.

I honestly don't know, but does not feel like it is being driven by fear. It may be that subconsciously the young know that the social contract is broken. They are not going to be able to buy a home. Very often they cannot run a car. Stuff that was just natural progression for my age group. In its place I think they have just turned to hedonism. They chase the short term fix of good company, a good time and experiencing stuff. Perhaps it's not all bad as my generation was told to wok hard etc and it looks like I'll drop in harness the way the pension is disapearing. Adapt and survive.

HOLA4415

I've followed your posts here (realise you're from Poland, right?), and you come across as one very cool guy who knows what's going on. A lot of native people in the UK have no clue at all.

HOLA4416

:lol:

I think it is of a symptom of the way that the concern about the rate of immigration has been framed as being personal, in an attempt to denounce it as something that is morally wrong, rather than having an adult conversation about it, as if it were an issue of attitude that needs correcting rather than one which is about the pace at which migrants can be assimilated, socially and economically and the pace at which our society is able to adapt and evolve it's sense of identity.

It is a consequence of that personalising of the debate to foster guilt about discussing it, that these people think of the vote in personal terms, as if you have been told that you're not welcome, or not liked or wanted and so they actually feel guilt in front of you.

HOLA4417

I think it is of a symptom of the way that the concern about the rate of immigration has been framed as being personal, in an attempt to denounce it as something that is morally wrong, rather than having an adult conversation about it, as if it were an issue of attitude that needs correcting rather than one which is about the pace at which migrants can be assimilated, socially and economically and the pace at which our society is able to adapt and evolve it's sense of identity.

It is a consequence of that personalising of the debate to foster guilt about discussing it, that these people think of the vote in personal terms, as if you have been told that you're not welcome, or not liked or wanted and so they actually feel guilt in front of you.

Ignoring the issue breeds intolerance. And here we are today.

HOLA4418

What I've been noticing from day one, albeit on a very small sample size, is how kind and helpful native Brits are. I mean, in my first month here I got invited (twice!) into the house my kids were playing in front of, simply because it's oh so nice to meet you and your kids would certainly have a piece of a home-made pie wouldn't they and how is your wife by the way? Maybe their approach to immigration is an extension of that. Here's a sample of some conversations I've had today:

Me: ...and, you know, being an immigrant I understand why people would like to come here from less developed countries, I mean, we certainly didn't choose where we were born and we have every right to pursue hapiness...

She: Exactly! (moves closer, shoulders touching)

Me: ...then again, neither did you, I mean it was not your fault that you were born here and we were born there, so you have no obligation to help us out and you have every right to make decision with your best interes in mind instead of caring about ours...

She: [shock and awe] (doesn't slide away :P)

Now that I review it, it really looks like a play from Barney's book. It should consider wearing a mankini, or maybe a scuba suit. Anyway, my point is that a lot of people around here seem programmed to put other people's needs in front of their own, or at least keep such an appearance. Maybe they need to be told that just because you're a liberal leftie, you doesn't have to be a naive fool.

In regard to personalizing the issue, I think it's unavoidable in London setting, where everyone has a migrant living above, below or next to him.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

WOW!

Angry young Remainer saying that over 65s should not be allowed to vote! When he's over 65 he's not going to vote, except maybe with the best interest of his children at heart.

I completely missed the memo that its an indisputable fact that Remain was the best thing for future generations.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What I've been noticing from day one, albeit on a very small sample size, is how kind and helpful native Brits are. I mean, in my first month here I got invited (twice!) into the house my kids were playing in front of, simply because it's oh so nice to meet you and your kids would certainly have a piece of a home-made pie wouldn't they and how is your wife by the way? Maybe their approach to immigration is an extension of that. Here's a sample of some conversations I've had today:

Me: ...and, you know, being an immigrant I understand why people would like to come here from less developed countries, I mean, we certainly didn't choose where we were born and we have every right to pursue hapiness...

She: Exactly! (moves closer, shoulders touching)

Me: ...then again, neither did you, I mean it was not your fault that you were born here and we were born there, so you have no obligation to help us out and you have every right to make decision with your best interes in mind instead of caring about ours...

She: [shock and awe] (doesn't slide away :P)

Now that I review it, it really looks like a play from Barney's book. It should consider wearing a mankini, or maybe a scuba suit. Anyway, my point is that a lot of people around here seem programmed to put other people's needs in front of their own, or at least keep such an appearance. Maybe they need to be told that just because you're a liberal leftie, you doesn't have to be a naive fool.

In regard to personalizing the issue, I think it's unavoidable in London setting, where everyone has a migrant living above, below or next to him.

Right just ****** off right back to clean streets , fitness obsessed , burds are all amazing , pints are cheap as ****** hellhole that's known as Poland.

;)

HOLA4423

Why are the scots so pro EU?

My view is that outside Glasgow there are very few immigrants / migrants in comparison to the UK City's, also moving around Scotland is not a problem unlike the UK also services are not as stretched, so maybe quality of life is OK so if its not broke why fix it.

HOLA4424

Right just ****** off right back to clean streets , fitness obsessed , burds are all amazing , pints are cheap as ****** hellhole that's known as Poland.

;)

Don't hate the player.

Also, all characters, locations and events might be entirely fictional and made up with a sole intention of supporting my point. Then again, they might not.

And now I'll add a random sentence with a word 'immigrants' so it doesn't qualify as an off-topic.

HOLA4425

My view is that outside Glasgow there are very few immigrants / migrants in comparison to the UK City's, also moving around Scotland is not a problem unlike the UK also services are not as stretched, so maybe quality of life is OK so if its not broke why fix it.

Nope - Edinburgh is seriously like a junior London.

But yes services seem to be a bit less shit then elsewhere.

I actually have no idea why so many Scottish love the EU .