House Price Crash Forum
davidg

I'm Calling Top: M$ Pays 26 Billion For Linkedin

Microsoft has just announced it is paying 26 Billion USD in cash for professional social network LinkedIn. In 2015 LinkedIn generated 2.99 billion U.S. dollars in revenue with a user base of 440 million users. Shares jumped $60 on the news. In 2015 Net Income was 166 million USD giving a PE of 157 although I understand that if you are not making a stonking loss in the dot.com world you are doing something wrong.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/lnkd/financials

I'm calling top on this asset bubble although over at The Fool they claim it is more profitable than Facebook.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/11/how-linkedin-earns-a-higher-gross-profit-margin-th.aspx

If Microsoft really do pay "cash" the largest bill in circulation in the US is the 100 dollar. That would be the equivalent of 250 tonnes of money needing 160 SWB Transit vans to deliver it to LinkedIn's headquarters.

Edited by davidg

Microsoft has just announced it is paying 26 Billion USD in cash for professional social network LinkedIn. In 2015 LinkedIn generated 2.99 billion U.S. dollars in revenue with a user base of 440 million users. Shares jumped $60 on the news. In 2015 Net Income was 166 million USD giving a PE of 157 although I understand that if you are not making a stonking loss in the dot.com world you are doing something wrong.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/lnkd/financials

I'm calling top on this asset bubble although over at The Fool they claim it is more profitable than Facebook.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/11/how-linkedin-earns-a-higher-gross-profit-margin-th.aspx

Thought much the same.

It's just a list of peoples.

I can see you a phone book for £1B

If you did some data analysis on this list of people you could find a whole bunch of interesting things -

Who are rich people connected to

How to target your software to "networkers" that spread the message as opposed to introverts

Find companies at different market segmentation sizes and industries around the world

What about building linkedin profiles into your software so everyone can see your professional background immediately when they login via Skype or through MS Office when they share a document...

just saying....cash is worthless unless it gives you a return and that 26bn certainly buys you something you can't create on your own.

If you did some data analysis on this list of people you could find a whole bunch of interesting things -

Who are rich people connected to

How to target your software to "networkers" that spread the message as opposed to introverts

Find companies at different market segmentation sizes and industries around the world

What about building linkedin profiles into your software so everyone can see your professional background immediately when they login via Skype or through MS Office when they share a document...

So how are you ever going to make $26bn from that? It's a laughably poor acquisition. LinkedIn could have been a good company but they lost it about three years ago. Their stalling revenue and ideas got found out by the market a few months back and shares plunged. They must have bitten Microsoft's hand off.

CEO's need to look like they are innovating, be revolutionary, be radical, and be all those other corporate words, or they will be replaced.

How's Windows 10 doing...?

Hmm, I reckon the LinkedIn website is crap and difficult to navigate. I joined up when I was looking for a job. I get loads of endorsements from people I have never met, for skills I don't have. :huh: It has not enriched my life.

What a joke, expensive email spam list...

Ha ha ha! Well put sir! :huh:

Don't think the data mining of some of my former colleagues will be very accurate i.e. team members calling themselves team managers. project office admins calling themsrlves senior project managers.

I do use it but not exactly very often, maybe once every 3 or 4 months. It's hardly Facebook.

Edited by reddog

Its becoming more like FB by the day. Constant spam and 'We are Orlando' nonsense is this weeks special.

Don't think the data mining of some of my former colleagues will be very accurate i.e. team members calling themselves team managers. project office admins calling themsrlves senior project managers.

I do use it but not exactly very often, maybe once every 3 or 4 months. It's hardly Facebook.

I'm always amazed at people bigging up their careers. Whenever I'm asked about my role at company X I say "oh I was a mere pawn, a gopher, a dogsbody, the lowest of the low, definitely not someone you want to give heaps of responsibility to, I'm your original 9 to 5er".

Hiriing managers always laugh. Then when I p1ss off home around 5 and they start tapping their watch I say "remember the interview, I did warn you".

Microsoft are utterly clueless. I'm wondering what the world is going to do when they go bust and Windows doesn't exist any more.

Maybe Linus Torvalds will buy them up for $1 and open source it.

I have been trying to imagine where the synergy is, and my guess is that they will integrate Skype and Linked In - so you go on linked in and can skype call any of your contacts without having to know their number.

it would drive people to sign up as everyone hates giving their real phone number to dodgy sales people and/or recruiters.

I have been trying to imagine where the synergy is, and my guess is that they will integrate Skype and Linked In - so you go on linked in and can skype call any of your contacts without having to know their number.

it would drive people to sign up as everyone hates giving their real phone number to dodgy sales people and/or recruiters.

Ok, that's the first convincing argument I've seen, nice.

I honestly don't get Linked in. It just seems like a pissing contest to show who has the best CV at work. If Ive ever needed a job I go to an agency. Or even better, they call me.

Don't get it.

The most annoying feature for me is the infinite never-ending "People You May Know" list. It has never, ever, EVER suggested anyone I know, or know of, or have ever heard of. As fast as I dismiss a suggestion, two more pop up!

The most annoying feature for me is the infinite never-ending "People You May Know" list. It has never, ever, EVER suggested anyone I know, or know of, or have ever heard of. As fast as I dismiss a suggestion, two more pop up!

It's very good for perving on hot burds though.

Just find a hot burd - preferable a PA or recruitment consultant. Then go to the 'People also viewed' list or whatever it's called at the bottom of their page. Pervy blokes searching for hot burds have already made the common links so whatever software they have provides you with a list of hot burds.

And if you click on one of them ? Same again. It's endless.

Maybe this has something to do with the purchase.

All linked in allows you to do is to keep in touch with all the wa%%%%% and ex bosses from past employment who you are glad you will never see again..

Edited by GreenDevil

I have a slight suspicion that Ms will be able to trim a load of costs by just bungling it onto their azure infrastructure if it isn't already.