House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

No More 'body Shaming' Adverts On The Tube

I thought this would appeal to OT.

Sadiq Khan: There will be no more 'body shaming' adverts on the Tube

Adverts which put Londoners under pressure over body image are to be banned from the Tube and bus network.

Sadiq Khan announced that Transport for London would no longer run ads which could cause body confidence issues, particularly among young people.

The Mayor, a father of two teenage daughters, warned the ads could demean women and encourage them to conform to unrealistic or unhealthy body shapes.

[more...]

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-there-will-be-no-more-body-shaming-adverts-on-the-tube-a3269951.html

This is in the wake of this horrifying advertisement from last year ...

dd6434_dd3819ab8cff44d1ac5d194e785701d7.

So they'll have to wear long robes now?

They do say that when the hemline drops that's a bad sign for the economy, So it's looking very very very bad - with London leading the way.

This is one of the ways in which radical Islam and feminism find common ground, something they seem to be doing more of these days.

And yes, there is absolutely nothing unhealthy or unrealistic about the woman in the picture. It's just how a young woman with a well-proportioned physique who takes a modicum of exercise and doesn't stuff her face with cakes all day should look. It's not like she's some ridiculous female bodybuilder with a gravy tan, no bust and big veins popping out of her biceps.

This is part of his Muslim agenda. He wants to make white women even fatter so men are less attracted to them, they have fewer babies, and Islam takes over the world a bit quicker.

Saddique the idiot

i) he's given the company more free advertising and publicity

ii) presumably any new adverts for gym membership with a healthy and fit young body will not be allowed on the underground

tw@t

She just looks like a healthy woman - healthy weight and clearly fit. How does that cause a 'body confidence' issue?

Are they also banning any advert which shows a man's bicep or any man with no shirt on?

They're promoting health. You should be doing that in the tube of all places, you'll be able to fit more customers in the train if they lose a few pounds.

Perhaps if you feel 'shamed' it's a good indication that you need to up your own game? It might actually be a drive to improve yourself in some way.

Vogue and FHM feature pretty much the same images. One gets the wrath of feminazis, one doesnt. Its not about the pictures. Its Feminazis fear that somewhere, sometime, a man could be enjoying himself that gets their goat up.

Vogue and FHM feature pretty much the same images. One gets the wrath of feminazis, one doesnt. Its not about the pictures. Its Feminazis fear that somewhere, sometime, a man could be enjoying himself that gets their goat up.

To be fair some feminists I believe object to all 'unrealistic' (ie, non-fat and/or ugly) images of women be they in any kind of publication.

Things like this are good for Mr Khan however as he gets to appeal to disparate types of voters, by doing something that the Islamists and the feminists (and by extension, feminised leftist men) will approve of.

It does seem ambiguously double-good, doesn't it?! What's known as a Political two-fer ;)

P

Similar ideas would be restricting alcohol consumption and public drunkenness and promoting women-only public spaces. I'm not saying Mr Khan would do stuff like this or that he has an Islamifying agenda - I actually don't think he does - but I suspect there are some in power that do, and this is how they may go about it.

She just looks like a healthy woman - healthy weight and clearly fit. How does that cause a 'body confidence' issue?

It is a funny one to pick out as unrealistic, as there is no suggestion the model has had cosmetic surgery or any photo-shop enhancement.

Well I suppose this diverts attention away from his mainifesto pledge ... Mr Kahn's election manifesto vowed: "Londoners won't pay a penny more for their travel in 2020 than they do today." which has now been broken as eg travel cards prices will rise in price are will not be frozen .... and this is the way most Londoners travel

And not forgetting one of his other pledges, which was to stop the building of the garden bridge, which he has now back peddled on.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-id-scrap-garden-bridge-plan-if-elected-mayor-a2954742.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-cancelling-garden-bridge-would-now-cost-taxpayer-twice-as-much-as-building-it-a3256251.html

Just to come from left field...there is probably good evidence these days that media coverage has a massive effect on body image and associated problems.

10 or 20 years now of David Beckham et al in their skivvies up on billboards. Result is body image problems, steroid use and eating disorders in blokes is actually a massive problem.

But the problem is underneath...self esteem, mental health, the "me me me" culture.

People are too weak to combat advertising and peer pressure...no self concept...no possibility of teachimg them to make their own healthy decisions. Censorship is the best way forward then, I guess...

P

Twas ever thus. In the past, it was religion. Matthew Arnold in his book 'Culture and Anarchy' (1869) writes of the case of a man who committed suicide because he believed he was beyond redemption. Self-loathing is a part of human nature and you can't get rid of it by protecting people from aspirational ideas or images.

It may not simply be the picture of the woman on the poster (who looks healthy rather than skinny), but more to do with the picture trying to promote a weight loss product.

Maybe it would be ok showing her eating fruit and vegetables, and walking up and down the stairs instead of using escalators...

Just to come from left field...there is probably good evidence these days that media coverage has a massive effect on body image and associated problems.

10 or 20 years now of David Beckham et al in their skivvies up on billboards. Result is body image problems, steroid use and eating disorders in blokes is actually a massive problem.

But the problem is underneath...self esteem, mental health, the "me me me" culture.

People are too weak to combat advertising and peer pressure...no self concept...no possibility of teachimg them to make their own healthy decisions. Censorship is the best way forward then, I guess...

P

Obesity is a societal problem many, many orders of magnitude greater than male eating disorders/steroid abuse. If it really did have causative effects, we should be encouraging it.

Was just thinking, there is a common thread running through a lot of posts lately. People struggling with a crisis of identity...born in the wrong body...wrong country...wrong class...wrong political box...fighting to define who they are by finding the right label...destined to suffer for it at the hands of the oppressor...

2014-12-12-fb322a49_large.jpg

Wonder if it occurs to any of them they might be just fine the way they are? :)

P

Paul, it's the oldest trick in the book. Frighten people with a fictional bogeyman and then offer them salvation from it, usually at huge personal cost.

Fear is one of the greatest human motivators. In the past, the fear promoted was metaphysical, (are you right with God?) then became secular (are you right with your fellow man?) The current fear is whether we fit into the right identity group; this is probably because all the previous forms of identification (religion, tribe, nationality, family) have gone.

She doesn't look remotely unhealthy.

Nor does she look unrealistic.

That's actually a subtle ad. She's not fat, but the proportions aren't quite the ideal body image (legs just a little bit robust) and the colours add to it. Very cleverly designed to make healthy and attractive girls feel bad about themselves.

If she'd been a would-ccc big fatty, it would've been irrelevant to the main target audience.

I think this particular advert originally came to prominence because there was massive Twitter outrage about it for some reason, while many other similar images went completely unremarked.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/are-you-beach-body-ready-5570223

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/the-best-and-funniest-takedowns-beach-body-ready-adverts-campaigns-bikini-photos

Great comment from Hannah Kilnmister on that stylist article.

All adverts offer something you dont have...sort of shaming you on your shortcomings.

Better ban ALL adverts.