House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aeh6277

Getting Landlords Details

Do I have the right to request direct contact details to my landlord despite the presence of a letting agent??

The letting agent is very slow and incompetent, and if I have any problems I'd rather contact the LL directly.

Had a big spat with an agent over this who said I wasn't allowed details and when I pointed out he had x amount of days left to comply he spat his dummy out and told me I was trying to tell him how to do hos job. Ignorant twit.

Yes, in England at least and I imagine elsewhere in UK too.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/about_private_renting/landlords_responsibilities

Must comply within 21 days

Thanks for this!

My letting agent is just awful. Every time I contact her she basically tells me to leave her alone. I'm chasing stuff up that should've been sorted weeks ago and it's just delay after delay. Can't be bothered with it anymore, landlords details are the way forward!

The landlord's address needs to appear on the tenancy contract...something that my letting agent failed to comply with. The LA is now out of business.

when I pointed out he had x amount of days left to comply he spat his dummy out and told me I was trying to tell him how to do hos job. Ignorant twit.

Probably a natural retort of Letting Agents when their tenants know the law better than they do! :lol:

Do I have the right to request direct contact details to my landlord despite the presence of a letting agent??

The letting agent is very slow and incompetent, and if I have any problems I'd rather contact the LL directly.

I think technically his contact details should be on the tenancy. I know that Lettings Agents hardly ever do that but you definitely have a right to know who you're renting from. If all else fails, just check the land registry and send them the bill.

Thanks for this!

My letting agent is just awful. Every time I contact her she basically tells me to leave her alone. I'm chasing stuff up that should've been sorted weeks ago and it's just delay after delay. Can't be bothered with it anymore, landlords details are the way forward!

You may find the Letting Agent and Landlord are quite involved with each other. At least I found that to be so, it was his company...

Probably a natural retort of Letting Agents when their tenants know the law better than they do! :lol:

It puts the fear of God into them when we know the law. The worst thing is when they are so adamant they know what they're talking about but it's nice to put them in their place. It's quite satisfying to hear the change in their voice or see the look on their face when the penny finally drops. Professionals, my ****.

Edited by spacedin

There are two distinct pieces of legislation:

Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 provides that a landlord must supply a tenant with an address in England and Wales and until he does so no rent is due.

A landlord of premises to which this Part applies shall by notice furnish the tenant with an address in England and Wales at which notices (including notices in proceedings) may be served on him by the tenant.

Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides that the person who demands rent or to whom the rent was last paid must supply the name and address of the landlord within 21 days of a written request; failure to comply is a criminal offence.

(1) If the tenant of premises occupied as a dwelling makes a written request for the landlord’s name and address to—

(a) any person who demands, or the last person who received, rent payable under the tenancy, or

(b ) any other person for the time being acting as agent for the landlord, in relation to the tenancy,

that person shall supply the tenant with a written statement of the landlord’s name and address within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which he receives the request.

Edited by Damocles

There are two distinct pieces of legislation:

Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 provides that a landlord must supply a tenant with an address in England and Wales and until he does so no rent is due.

A landlord of premises to which this Part applies shall by notice furnish the tenant with an address in England and Wales at which notices (including notices in proceedings) may be served on him by the tenant.

Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides that the person who demands rent or to whom the rent was last paid must supply the name and address of the landlord within 21 days of a written request; failure to comply is a criminal offence.

(1) If the tenant of premises occupied as a dwelling makes a written request for the landlord’s name and address to—

(a) any person who demands, or the last person who received, rent payable under the tenancy, or

(b ) any other person for the time being acting as agent for the landlord, in relation to the tenancy,

that person shall supply the tenant with a written statement of the landlord’s name and address within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which he receives the request.

Thanks for that

I emailed the LA for the details and she has said:

"The property is on a managed basis and hence the landlord's contact details are confidential and any communication comes via ourselves."

I've also noticed the tenancy agreement has the initial and surname of the LL with the LA address, not the LL.

Can she do this? I'm also having problems now as she's saying I'm not allowed to lock the garage despite the contract explicitly stating the LL hands over the entire property including all and any outbuildings. They're breaching that part of the contract I'm sure!

How did you get on OP?

See above! :)

LA has said she will not give them to me. I'll request in writing as per Section 1 of the 1985 Act, so she has to.

She's currently in breach of the contract anyway by not providing me with a key or permission to lock my garage door(s).

Going well!

The LA either does not know the law is pretending not to know the law.

Send a formal request by post and email as follows:

[Address of property]

As tenant of the above premises I request that you supply me with the name and address of the landlord of the above premises.

You are required by Section 1(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 to supply this information within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which you receive this request.

Section 38 of the Act defines "address" as "a person’s place of abode or place of business or, in the case of a company, its registered office". Giving the address of an agent does not comply with the Act.

You are respectfully reminded that section 1(2) of the Act provides that a person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with section 1(1) of the Act commits a summary offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.

[Date]

Signed...............................

[Your name]

I'm also having problems now as she's saying I'm not allowed to lock the garage despite the contract explicitly stating the LL hands over the entire property including all and any outbuildings.

That calls for a McEnroe "Are you serious?!"

That calls for a McEnroe "Are you serious?!"

Thanks for the written request template!

I know! I sincerely wish I wasn't serious, but unfortunately I am. I'm asking for advice on another post, I'm well within my rights to lock the garage but it's kinda difficult when they won't even give you a key!

I'm trying to get the LL details now so that I can discuss this with him directly. I think she's massively underestimating my intelligence, because I'm quite young I think she feels like she can get away with stuff because 'I won't know any better'.

I know full well she's in breach of the contract!

I honestly think people should take agencies to court if they refuse to hand over the landlord details and ignore legal threats just to make an example of them. It wouldn't be wasting court time as it would make it clear that this is unacceptable.

I honestly think people should take agencies to court if they refuse to hand over the landlord details and ignore legal threats just to make an example of them. It wouldn't be wasting court time as it would make it clear that this is unacceptable.

That would involve a private prosecution which I doubt most people would want to initiate. Local housing authorities are authorised to prosecute any offence under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. If an agent fails to comply with a section 1 request the matter should be reported to the local housing authority.