House Price Crash Forum

Hosting For Company Website

HOLA441

Usual trawl of knowledge from clever hpcers.

I have my site hosted with Webhostuk.net on a shared Linux server. It's been ok fir a number of years with good live chat support. I have recently though had problems with my email address being spammed though and it turns out another site on the shared space was hacked. Support hasn't been too good with blame initially being put on me and leading to drastic reinstall of OS on office PC. But now it is definitely apparent that the hosts are at fault.

I'm using a drupal site. I have heard that cloud hosting is extremely expensive. I think I pay about £120 a year for this site. We don't have video (yet) on the site and traffic is relatively low although we might want web commerce in the future.

Can anyone recommend any good trustworthy hosting companies or packages that might fit our needs. Would like a dedicated server. I know you can get dedicated virtual machine servers which are still loads of companies on one machine, thus will likely be more in our budget. Are the issues of hacking just as likely with virtual machine servers?

As usual, any help greatly appreciated.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Usual trawl of knowledge from clever hpcers.

I have my site hosted with Webhostuk.net on a shared Linux server. It's been ok fir a number of years with good live chat support. I have recently though had problems with my email address being spammed though and it turns out another site on the shared space was hacked. Support hasn't been too good with blame initially being put on me and leading to drastic reinstall of OS on office PC. But now it is definitely apparent that the hosts are at fault.

I'm using a drupal site. I have heard that cloud hosting is extremely expensive. I think I pay about £120 a year for this site. We don't have video (yet) on the site and traffic is relatively low although we might want web commerce in the future.

Can anyone recommend any good trustworthy hosting companies or packages that might fit our needs. Would like a dedicated server. I know you can get dedicated virtual machine servers which are still loads of companies on one machine, thus will likely be more in our budget. Are the issues of hacking just as likely with virtual machine servers?

As usual, any help greatly appreciated.

Virtual server sounds ideal. They might share the same silicon as other servers, but from the point of view of hacking they'll be like dedicated.

I don't know about your server management skills, but the closest thing to plain hosting would be to get a package with cpanel.

I've used Fasthosts for years. They're not particularly good or cheap, but they serve the purpose of just being there and make it easy to track my bills. But I notice they don't do virtual any more and they've rebranded as cloud - this is accurate enough, I suppose. But,

More recently I've moved to using Godaddy virtual servers. They're cheap enough and seem to work fine. I've just noticed they're pushing their cloud hosting (seem much cheaper than last time I looked) - this looks interesting.

HOLA444

Doesn't sound like a good reason to abandon an otherwise reliable hosting Co., IMO - It's your responsibility to secure your email and OS.

You don't have to spend $$$ either.

I'm paying £25 pa for a shared Linux account (Heart Internet reseller) currently hosting 3 Wordpress domains with decent (ticket-only) support and no big issues so far.

I've even trusted them with several non-mission-critical/ low-traffic client sites.

HOLA445

I have a drupal website hosted on a VPS with https://www.prometeus.net/site/

Use this link and you can get it for the special price of 36 euros a year: https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=137

They also give you 10gb backup ftp which you can host in Dallas, Tx for free

My uptime is as close to 100%, excellent company.

Spec:

CPU: 4 Core RAM: 1.8GB VSwap: 1GB Hard Disk: 50GB SSD IP addresses: 1 IPv4, 4 IPv6 Dedicated internet bandwidth: 1800 GB OS: Linux Distribution: centos debian or ubuntu Control Panel: SolusVM Virtualization: OpenVZ Type: Self managed Location: Milano, Italy

BagaIFr.png

The only other company I'd recommend is this one:

https://www.ramnode.com/vps.php

But honestly at 36 euros Prometeus is a steal.

HOLA446

One thing to throw into the mix is that google would consider where a site is hosted and where it's natural market is as part of their SERP algorithm.

UK Market = UK Server......

Something I am looking at, currently use 1and1 which hosts in Germany. Been with them for 8 years and reasonably happy but looking to move now as they are starting to employ some dodgy marketing techniques, like adding services to your account and charging you for them, the onus being on you to cancel them.

Anyone recommend any good UK hosting with a Wordpress package and a Cloudflare type CDN service....

HOLA447

Doesn't sound like a good reason to abandon an otherwise reliable hosting Co., IMO - It's your responsibility to secure your email and OS.

You don't have to spend $$$ either.

I'm paying £25 pa for a shared Linux account (Heart Internet reseller) currently hosting 3 Wordpress domains with decent (ticket-only) support and no big issues so far.

I've even trusted them with several non-mission-critical/ low-traffic client sites.

Interesting. As I said, I have been with this company a number of years but seem to get the brushoff with customer support a bit nowadays. MY email and OS were secure, thats the problem, it was another domain on the shared server which was hacked and then led to other domains being blacklisted and their emails being spammed.

HOLA448

One thing to throw into the mix is that google would consider where a site is hosted and where it's natural market is as part of their SERP algorithm.

UK Market = UK Server......

Something I am looking at, currently use 1and1 which hosts in Germany. Been with them for 8 years and reasonably happy but looking to move now as they are starting to employ some dodgy marketing techniques, like adding services to your account and charging you for them, the onus being on you to cancel them.

Anyone recommend any good UK hosting with a Wordpress package and a Cloudflare type CDN service....

Well, I have just checked and my current server is in the UK - so that's good.

HOLA449

Interesting. As I said, I have been with this company a number of years but seem to get the brushoff with customer support a bit nowadays. MY email and OS were secure, thats the problem, it was another domain on the shared server which was hacked and then led to other domains being blacklisted and their emails being spammed.

I'm not quite understanding what has happened here.

The hosting company is responsible for securing the server in such a way that known exploits against the server are repelled.

The customer is responsible for securing their website so that known attacks against it don't succeed.

Example: if someone hacks a Wordpress/Drupal/Jooma/OpenCart (or whatever) installation made vulnerable by the installation of some dodgy plug-in, one of the most common types of exploits being something called a "SQL injection attack", then that's entirely the customer's problem.

The hosting company's equipment has not been compromised. Only one customer's website has.

The hosting company should configure the server in such a way that exploiting one website does not then enable the attacker to exploit the others.

For example if I manage to get a malicious script into a hosted website which reads all the files and enables me to see the code behind them, that script should not be able to then navigate up and out of "my" directory tree into others on the server and read those too.

One very common issue with shared email hosting is that many domains share a single IP address - the IP address of the shared mail server. If one person sends spam and the IP address gets blacklisted e.g. by Spamhaus, then all the domains get blacklisted (actually, no domains are blacklisted, just the shared IP address which has the same effect). The host then needs to work with Spamhaus to get the IP block lifted. This is (un)surprisingly very common.

In any event, if the site isn't high traffic and just needs virtual hosting then a cheap virtual hosting package will be just fine.

You mention a dedicated server - the likelihood that such a server will be hacked is greater, because the responsibility for securing it moves from the hosting company, to you. With complete access to the server, you are entirely responsible for downloading and installing updates and patches. Should you open a port on the firewall by accident or without realising the implications, you could indeed find the server gets compromised. Typically you simply wouldn't be able to do that with virtual hosting.

If you were to go down the dedicated route I'd suggest you need a host like Rackspace which will manage the server for you.

However it will cost a small fortune.

So I'd stick to a good virtual hosting package for now.

Archived