House Price Crash Forum

Black Friday ?

Oliver Sutton

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

FTSE 100 movers: Randgold stands alone in sea of red
Fri, 10th Jun 2016 13:37

(ShareCast News) - The widespread sell-off of FTSE 100 stocks cast a pall of gloom in early Friday afternoon trade.

Only Randgold Resources showed any fight at 1400 BST to be the sole swimmer in a sea of red.

http://www.lse.co.uk/sharecast-news-article.asp?ArticleCode=24529295&ArticleHeadline=FTSE_100_movers_Randgold_stands_alone_in_sea_of_red

HOLA444

Afternoon action might be institutional selling. And on a Friday, might mean the start of something bigger.

We've had a week of good gains, so this is either profit taking OR a complete risk off moving forward.

HOLA445

Nah - just the usual market dip that happens shortly after my cursed finger presses the "buy" button. Today it was some more Unilever.

Edit: Well, now I look, not entirely cursed. I'm 20p or so up on the deal as of this moment!

Edited by justthisbloke

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Down to brexit?

Possibly.

Which is why I want to own shares in global companies rather than domestic stuff or, worse - should Brexit happen, government scrip (aka GBP) written against a dying nation and economy.

HOLA4414

An organised sell-off?

I wonder if this 2% drop in FT was manufactured to have headlines in w/end papers crying this is what happens if UK leaves EU so if you value your investment/pensions vote Stay....hmmm...just a thought...conspiracy theory and all that..lol

nicked off the ADVFN bulletin board.

A drop wouldn't be a drop without a conspiracy!

HOLA4415

Conspiracy continues:

So, £ down a bit. Nothing exceptional. Reason given is stronger Brexit vote. Metals flat or up a touch. So why is the mining index down 2.5% when it should be up a little. Well, it would not suit the Brexit scaremongering agenda we are getting today if miners rose to cancel out banks' falls in the index, would it? But that is what should happen because of the FTSE100 make up. And how nicely timed for weekend papers. Somebody is shorting the whole market, which is not consistent with Brexit fears. Given metals prices are actually marginally up, Brexit should see miners being bought as a hedge against the falling £. But if you short indiviual shares in large volume, you show up in declarations, where you don't if you short the indices in volume and let others arbitrage the individual shares downward to give strange falls in miners. So who is shorting indices heavily rather than selling or shorting the shares that should be affected if it were genuine Brexit fears?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

A taste of what's to come if the separatists get their wicked way.

It'll be kindof entertaining if it happens, watching their pawns scream how nothing they wanted to change has changed, and all the things they were promised wouldn't happen happened. Just wish it didn't have to take the rest of us with it.

HOLA4418

Conspiracy continues:

So, £ down a bit. Nothing exceptional. Reason given is stronger Brexit vote. Metals flat or up a touch. So why is the mining index down 2.5% when it should be up a little. Well, it would not suit the Brexit scaremongering agenda we are getting today if miners rose to cancel out banks' falls in the index, would it? But that is what should happen because of the FTSE100 make up. And how nicely timed for weekend papers. Somebody is shorting the whole market, which is not consistent with Brexit fears. Given metals prices are actually marginally up, Brexit should see miners being bought as a hedge against the falling £. But if you short indiviual shares in large volume, you show up in declarations, where you don't if you short the indices in volume and let others arbitrage the individual shares downward to give strange falls in miners. So who is shorting indices heavily rather than selling or shorting the shares that should be affected if it were genuine Brexit fears?

How does the DAX down 2.5% fit in with the conspiracy theory?

HOLA4419

Nah - just the usual market dip that happens shortly after my cursed finger presses the "buy" button. Today it was some more Unilever.

Edit: Well, now I look, not entirely cursed. I'm 20p or so up on the deal as of this moment!

Global megacorp. Relatively safe haven against brexit fallout.

How does the DAX down 2.5% fit in with the conspiracy theory?

London is the global centre of the financial world. Noone is immune. Rest-of-europe carries fallout risks. And DAX is home to fewer foreign companies like miners whose real home is Russia, Australia, South Africa, etc, that dilute the effect of local (European) volatility on the FTSE.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I wonder if this 2% drop in FT was manufactured to have headlines in w/end papers crying this is what happens if UK leaves EU so if you value your investment/pensions vote Stay....hmmm...just a thought...conspiracy theory and all that..lol

nicked off the ADVFN bulletin board.

A drop wouldn't be a drop without a conspiracy!

They will sink as low as they can to achieve their gravy train staying on the tracks

HOLA4422

Afternoon action might be institutional selling. And on a Friday, might mean the start of something bigger.

We've had a week of good gains, so this is either profit taking OR a complete risk off moving forward.

Indeed, mild panic.

Each day, including today, the FTSE has been closing 2% down each day.

2% of a smaller value is proportionately bigger. We'll get a crescendo the near to the 23rd, if this keeps up.

HOLA4423

Indeed, mild panic.

Each day, including today, the FTSE has been closing 2% down each day.

2% of a smaller value is proportionately bigger. We'll get a crescendo the near to the 23rd, if this keeps up.

Errr no. Its still 2%.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

With the FTSE at 6200 how much do you think "remain" is now priced in? What do you think will happen to this and other major markets over the next week or two?

Seems to have been a fair bit of re-positioning last few days. Im waiting for the vote to be out of the way and will then look to buy the next volatility dip if it is significant - Probably around next FED mtg I would guess.

Assuming a Bremain outcome it will probably tick up for a week or two in the interim as re-positioning unfolds & Brexit DOOM receeds.