House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stuckin2up2down

Is This A Prison?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/40625616?search_identifier=72a3792d75179cc717e5cc83189e3b8d#qfc5ZAZIcVwsk6Ge.97

I mean the concept isn't too bad, but 800 quid a month and they don't even show photos of the rooms. I'm sure prions have bigger bedrooms.

A similarly depressing existence - http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/39331630?search_identifier=72a3792d75179cc717e5cc83189e3b8d#4LPg0rRCe9XFShvK.97

800ish a month is alot, can't be far off half the national average take home wage and these places are only for one person :blink:

Student accommodation let out on a 51-week tenancy basis - isn't the academic year usually nine months?

Not for postgraduate students (MSc/PhD), they are basically there all year round.

So sorry any stories you might have heard about university staff having 3 month holidays during the summer are mostly untrue.

I've lived in worse. Much worse.

I escaped it when I got a job in Germany: an opportunity that was open to my generation. It now seems to be in some doubt for today's young folks.

~£9.5k for student digs. ******ing hell.

You cansee why the universities have been throwing up student flats.

Bg noney for them

They can bleed 20K a year out of young peolpe with no money...the debts passed on to much later in their lives.

£20K x 3 = OUCH !!!

"Award Winning WiFi access throughout the building"

What the ****** ?

That must have been a hoot of an awards ceremony.

You cansee why the universities have been throwing up student flats.

Bg noney for them

They can bleed 20K a year out of young peolpe with no money...the debts passed on to much later in their lives.

£20K x 3 = OUCH !!!

And the rest....when you take into account other living costs....probably closer to £25K a year (£9K fees + £9.5K rent + £?? living costs).

£75K for a degree plus 3 years of opportunity cost....just to make your CV look average.

If you were to get a 6 stretch you'd get time to do a free degree and leave debt free, just the food and company is crap ... and your sex life maybe a little restricted.

If you were to get a 6 stretch you'd get time to do a free degree and leave debt free, just the food and company is crap ... and your sex life maybe a little restricted.

Only in gender one assumes.

I've lived in worse. Much worse.

I escaped it when I got a job in Germany: an opportunity that was open to my generation. It now seems to be in some doubt for today's young folks.

We've probably all lived in much worse (for a short time at least) but for £800 a month?

And the rest....when you take into account other living costs....probably closer to £25K a year (£9K fees + £9.5K rent + £?? living costs).

£75K for a degree plus 3 years of opportunity cost....just to make your CV look average.

Many Bristol University students are from wealthy families who have been paying around £25K p.a. for school fees.

The three or four years at university are regarded as a further necessary expense for positioning their offspring in society.

http://epigram.org.uk/news/2016/03/state-private-school-divide-blame-lack-community-uob

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/40625616?search_identifier=72a3792d75179cc717e5cc83189e3b8d#qfc5ZAZIcVwsk6Ge.97

I mean the concept isn't too bad, but 800 quid a month and they don't even show photos of the rooms. I'm sure prions have bigger bedrooms.

A similarly depressing existence - http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/39331630?search_identifier=72a3792d75179cc717e5cc83189e3b8d#4LPg0rRCe9XFShvK.97

800ish a month is alot, can't be far off half the national average take home wage and these places are only for one person :blink:

LOL :lol: That has got to be E wing! :P

We've probably all lived in much worse (for a short time at least) but for £800 a month?

In relative terms, the London dumps I lived in as a young graduate cost a lot more.

That is to say, as a proportion of my after-tax income, it might map to £1600/month today. In terms of what I had left to live on, it was even more.

But true, that's not entirely comparing like with like. It's certainly a lot compared to anything I paid as a student.

What's left of the Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles.

I'd agree about the look - the architect must have semi-retired from his job at HM Prisons.

Still, a panopticon design approach is somewhat appropriate for an ex-religious establishment - although I'd have thought God manages to see what all those late teenage boys (and girls) are up to irrespective of the doors and walls.