House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
newbonic

Sherwood Forest Gets New Bands Of Merry Men And Outlaws - This Time Poles And Roma!

Here's one reason why Sports Direct can afford to pay below the minimum wage :blink: - some of their Polish employees are camping in makeshift camps in nearby Sherwood Forest!

"A group of 'desperate' Eastern Europeans has been setting up camp and living in Robin Hood's famous forest - chopping down trees, killing deer and threatening passers-by with knives, it has been claimed."

From the story: "Edwinstowe man Alan Daniels, a 66-year-old retiree claims he's encountered Polish migrants, allegedly from the Shirebrook area camping in the woods.

"I've come across them making fires and sleeping out, and I told them to clear off. It's a bit dodgy, you feel threatened. What they do is camp out and look for these special mushrooms growing, because they cost a fortune. I've found playing cards with Sports Direct on them, so I assume that's where they're from."

More seriously are groups of allegedly aggressive Roma -

"Edwinstowe man Alan Daniels, 66, who found the [Roma] camp, said the inhabitants wielded knives and have previously been threatening when discovered. ...

He said: "They're a large groups of Eastern Europeans, maybe more than 20, living in the forest and causing damage.

He went on to describe 'loads of litter,' and said the large group were 'killing deer and pheasants and using knives and threatening behaviour if approached.'

Welcome to third world England....

Good to see the benefits of being in the European Union.

I love the way it describes the way he "encountered" them, as if they're different creatures.

I love the way it describes the way he "encountered" them, as if they're different creatures.

And I love how he identified Romanians 'by the way they dress' and Poles by... Sports Direct cards? I know he got upset and everything, but that's just lazy.

And I love how he identified Romanians 'by the way they dress' and Poles by... Sports Direct cards? Whatda******? It reminds me of Daily Mail's non-story from 2010 about swans being hunted and eaten in London parks.

Why is the Guardian so obsessed with Sports Direct? Genuine question.

Because it's the poster child for everything that's wrong with the current jobs market, I would imagine.

And I love how he identified Romanians 'by the way they dress' and Poles by... Sports Direct cards? I know he got upset and everything, but that's just lazy.

And I love how he identified Romanians 'by the way they dress' and Poles by... Sports Direct cards? Whatda******? It reminds me of Daily Mail's non-story from 2010 about swans being hunted and eaten in London parks.

I work with a Pole in Sheffield. I'll ask him if he can prove he's Polish with his Sports Direct playing cards :lol:

Slightly off my own topic, but BBC Radio Sheff are always belting on about the (allegedly) workhouse like conditions of Sports Direct; they cover north Derbyshire where their warehouse is.

Wasn't the Swan story completely true though?

AFAIR the story was based on the photo of a dead swan (with wings, feather and everything, certainly not butchered and most definitely not eaten) and bones of unidentified birds near a migrant camp. The camp was Romanian and the birds were most likely pigeons, so the story about Poles eating swans was 100% true except the bit about the Poles, the swans and the eating.

There've been at least 3 such stories, starting as far back as 2003 (even before UE expansion) and going all the way to 2013, in Sun and Daily Mail, and I dunno about all of them, but that particular one was a typical Daily Mail business of making shit up.

There was a small migrant encampment on a green lane that runs through the middle of the international rail freight terminal and warehouse hub out my way. Anecdotally, the warehouses prefer to use EE agency workers and drivers, so the camp must have been convenient for work :wacko: They were moved on after a few months.

AFAIR the story was based on the photo of a dead swan (with wings, feather and everything, certainly not butchered and most definitely not eaten) and bones of unidentified birds near a migrant camp. The camp was Romanian and the birds were most likely pigeons, so the story about Poles eating swans was 100% true except the bit about the Poles, the swans and the eating.

There've been at least 3 such stories, starting as far back as 2003 (even before UE expansion) and going all the way to 2013, in Sun and Daily Mail, and I dunno about all of them, but that particular one was a typical Daily Mail business of making shit up.

Carp is at the top of their poaching list