House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spunko2010

Feedback On My Idea/business Pls

Wonder if anyone here would be so kind as to provide some feedback on this please? Been working on it for a few months on the side. It's a free Chrome/FF extension that finds & applies voucher codes into the checkout directly for you. In other words, you don't need to spend ages copying & pasting discount codes seeing if they work or not. It also 'reveals' all the codes on various UK voucher code websites like myvouchercodes so that you don't need to click to reveal etc.

https://vouch.org

If anyone wants to test it, try it on made.com for example. Add something to the basket, then go to the basket page...

Any and all feedback appreciated! Obviously this isn't related to house prices but it might save some cash ... if it works right, anyway. :blink:

Don't yet. But hoping to add affiliate commission if the user busy something, but that's proving more difficult than I thought anyway. So, I don't currently. Just a side project really.

Don't yet. But hoping to add affiliate commission if the user busy something, but that's proving more difficult than I thought anyway. So, I don't currently. Just a side project really.

You need to discuss with affiliate networks about cookie stealing. I have no idea what state of play the industry is in anymore. The first bog cookie stealer sites wiped out my business and I am just a bit part now.

Thanks. To be honest I'm not that bothered about the money aspect. Just wanted to see if anyone found it useful or not. I've used it quite a lot myself and think it is.. but I'm biased.

Also working on a Rightmove-related side project which I think the people of this forum will appreciate.

Thanks. To be honest I'm not that bothered about the money aspect. Just wanted to see if anyone found it useful or not. I've used it quite a lot myself and think it is.. but I'm biased.

Also working on a Rightmove-related side project which I think the people of this forum will appreciate.

Oh if it's good then make money out of it.

There's a lot of voucher code stuff out there though.

Can't wait to hear more about the rightmove thing.

This probably reads like lesson 1 in how to suck eggs, but is a browser plugin the best way to go? The alternative being a smartphone app.

Though of course if the idea works well enough, you'll want to do both.

Porca, yes and no... I first thought of a mobile app actually, but (currently) the only mobile browser that allows extensions is Firefox, which has like 1% of the mobile market. If/when Chrome and Android Browser allow extensionslike they do on Desktop I'll definitely develop it (although it might take a while...)

I like the idea. I'm just not sure how you'd make any money from it.

Unless you have the plug in 'pause' once it has found the voucher, tell the customer what they can save, then direct them to pay you say 10% of that, then finally complete the process.

That being complex and fraught with difficulty not least because if it doesn't quite work the way you thought it would and after paying you the commission they don't get the stated discount they're going to be a little upset about that.

You might be able to work the plug in on a subscription basis so you have to sign up for an account to acquire it, and try to monetise the customer database in some way.

DTMark, I only did a bit of testing, the best method i came across was adding in the affiliate JS when the user clicks 'TRY CODES'. I managed to get it to work in the background - until Firefox changed their content security policies recently and enabled that as default. Sod's law.

I think this is excellent - very nicely implemented OP! I wonder whether the money is not to be made via trying to take over the referral, as this is prone to being hijacked either by browser blocking or presumably the voucher sites, and so may be better to sell/license it to the voucher sites and sites like Money Making Expert. There's a big international market so not just the UK. Anyroad, all the best with it and well done. Do you do any development under contract/freelance BTW?

Thanks glad it's useful. I do find it just appears at the most unexpected time and finds a code. It'll also tell you if the merchant never offers codes eg like Next.

I don't do contracted work any more for clients it's too stressful, do you have an idea?

Thanks glad it's useful. I do find it just appears at the most unexpected time and finds a code. It'll also tell you if the merchant never offers codes eg like Next.

I don't do contracted work any more for clients it's too stressful, do you have an idea?

Yes, always have ideas although one in particular springs to mind. Happy to discuss privately.

paypal micro transaction.

you could save £5 on your purchase - pay 10p to access the code.

now count up the many transactions over the world

cha ching

the code prices could also auto slide scale. The bigger the discount, the higher the price.

then float the company for billions like Groupon. See your city investment banker for that part. Don't forget me won't you!

I like the idea. I'm just not sure how you'd make any money from it.

Unless you have the plug in 'pause' once it has found the voucher, tell the customer what they can save, then direct them to pay you say 10% of that, then finally complete the process.

That being complex and fraught with difficulty not least because if it doesn't quite work the way you thought it would and after paying you the commission they don't get the stated discount they're going to be a little upset about that.

You might be able to work the plug in on a subscription basis so you have to sign up for an account to acquire it, and try to monetise the customer database in some way.

Okay the best way to make money on this (or any good idea, no idea if this or not) is to make it free. Let word of mouth start it's work. Two years down the pipe when you have a million subscribers you charge them 60p for a years subscription. Whatsapp did something similar. It's the best way. .6 * 1,000,000 = Your house worries over.

Honey (and have browser extensions) already do something like this:

http://www.joinhoney.com

Not too worry, there is usually room for more than player in a market.

A couple of ways you could make money:

Arbitrage - if you post a deal which is cheaper on another site as part of the check out process with an affiliate link

Affiliate code - some codes are ones which benefit you (not applicable to every site)

On your own website/in an email newsletter - post the latest deals/savings people have made (ala Flubit)

Stainless, I came across Honey half way through development but in my testing literally the ONLY site it worked on in the UK was M&S. It's pretty much USA only. Plus, it's a bit different to mine, although the main function is similar. There's also Coupons At Checkout which again is US only (or so it seems).

I think on the money front it's not going to be something people pay money for, it's hard enough to get them to download it in the first place (which I completely understand).

I just looked at your website.

I would not install that. I would need reassurance that I wasn't installing malware. That means, source code and/or proper digitally-signed endorsement from someone I can trust. The latter would most likely start with the good folks at mozilla, google, and the like, who manage the official extensions list. A plugin downloaded from there is unlikely to do anything very bad, and if it happens I expect it to be discovered reasonably quickly and reported widely.

Get yourself into addons.mozilla.org (or whatever it's called) and equivalent sites, where people will find you and have less misgivings about you. Then your own site can point to there for downloads. And report back here how easy you think it would have been to slip a virus into those sites if that had been your intention!

Porca, the plugin is already verified by Firefox/Mozilla and Chrome hence the download link/buttons:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vouch/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vouch/mnidjdifhjohmbhinodndkfapjfbmdcp

How it works with Mozilla, for those who don't know is, they can either Provisionally review it or Fully review it. In the case of Vouch it is Fully reviewed. It took about 25 attempts to get verified so they are quite strict.

Chrome aren't quite as strict but they do scan it for malware.

Porca, the plugin is already verified by Firefox/Mozilla and Chrome hence the download link/buttons:

That wasn't clear from looking at the buttons.

OK, hovering over them tells me, but evidently not at midnight after a hot thai curry and a few bevvies.