House Price Crash Forum
iamnumerate

Lewisham House Collapse

£650k for lewisham... geeze I remember when 2007 had this crazy housing bubble, glad Dave & George fixed the economy and got it back on track.

Closer inspection it is in Lee Conservation area (which is not lewisham).

I was interested to know what they did to make the place fall down.

From my amatuer observations it appeared that the house was struggling to hold the weight of the roof. The gable wall end seemed to be ok, it was at the party wall end where the roof was sagging.

The first floor external wall was bowing and it seems to be this giving way which caused the collapse. The ground floor first floor wall is still standing, which I think rules out it being caused by a basement extension/excavation.

It's mentioned that the internal walls have been removed. Would the internal walls normally carry part of the roof load? (if that is the problem). I thought that was normally carried by the external walls and the internal walls carried some of the weight of the floors.

My understanding is that the joists are normally nailed to a "wall plate" that sits on top of the walls. This stops the rafters from pushing the walls outwards. Normally the weight of the roof is distributed downwards and some internal walls play an important part in that.

I was interested to know what they did to make the place fall down.

From my amatuer observations it appeared that the house was struggling to hold the weight of the roof. The gable wall end seemed to be ok, it was at the party wall end where the roof was sagging.

The first floor external wall was bowing and it seems to be this giving way which caused the collapse. The ground floor first floor wall is still standing, which I think rules out it being caused by a basement extension/excavation.

It's mentioned that the internal walls have been removed. Would the internal walls normally carry part of the roof load? (if that is the problem). I thought that was normally carried by the external walls and the internal walls carried some of the weight of the floors.

If you look at the house on street view, you can see the roof slates had been replaced with (rather hideous) tiles. These are probably heavier, but probably no account was taken of the extra weight, with the internal structure. As soon as they started messing about with the walls, it probably gave up...

Also they removed the rather nice terracotta decoration running along the top and even stuck the same hideous tiles on the outside porch bit.

Thanks for the link, I was going to look for their plans myself so you've saved me a job :-)

I've had a look through the photos on Zoopla and some of the photos and might have found something.

This is the before image of the attic room before they bought the house. before.JPG

Underneath the floor it should look like this.

RoofJoineryNames2.jpg

The floor/ceiling joists are taking the floor load from the attic and are stopping the exterior walls from being pushed out. We know there were floor joists there because the floor in the before picture is being supported.

Here's an after photo from the daily mail.

after.jpg

This photo is taken from the first floor looking up into the attic. The floor/ceiling joists that were holding up the attic floor are not there. On the right hand side of the image I can see two lightish coloured rectangles, immediately below the rafters where the joists would tie in. I'm speculating but that could be where the joists were cut off exposing untreated wood hence the lighter colour.

If that is correct it looks like the floor joists have been removed which is allowing the roof to spread and push the external front wall outwards. Which eventually led to the front wall being pushed out and the roof falling through the gap. Which looks to be consistent with the photos of and the video of the house collapsing.

post-20416-0-89576100-1465500351_thumb.jpg

post-20416-0-54284200-1465500391_thumb.jpg

post-20416-0-48683800-1465500429_thumb.jpg

The original layout of this house is similar to mine. Where they have taken the wall out that divides the two bedrooms, that wall would have taken some of the load of the roof. In my attic there are huge timbers going up diagonally from the internal wall to another even bigger timber going across the roof half way up both sides.
No wonder this house fell in!

One thing is certain, there is no habitable property at that address. The lenders T&C must have a clause for instances like these likewise with insurance policies.

The price is so mad when you consider earnings in the capital, it's Lewisham not Mayfair yet most of the price support is a reflection of city earnings. When the economy turns London is toast.