House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Another Chain Broken

Pushed by his pushy girlfriend, my father was all set to buy a 2 bed mansion flat in St Johns Wood, London NW8 for £480,000 plus £50,000 (yes :blink: !) for a parking space. He lives in Manchester and is keeping his house there. The seller is a professional property owner, who owns the freehold to the block, not a private seller. Not a very large flat in a clean but soulless 1970's block, my father completely failed to secure any discount overall and swallowed all the sales pitch from the EA about how it had been on at £530,000 for months before a "reduction". Problem was my father was unclear under questioning about whether this included the car space or not. If it did, then he paid a very full asking price.

Under intense pressure from me and my brother, he pulled out and now seems actually quite relieved, especially as his own solicitor then confided that he thought he had been suckered. So a not so happy Xmas to the seller who almost got lucky but didn't and meanwhile my father will be renting relatively cheaply a nice place in the same area, whilst looking again to buy next year, without the pressure of travelling from Manc. for three weekends desperate to find some quick way to blow half a million quid.

Happy S. :)

You are the finest son a father could have.

Happy Xmas.

Not sure he thought that during the couple of days it took to persuade him but I think he was happy in the end. No one thinks prices are going up much whatever happens, so he can happily but next year...

Guest Bart of Darkness

Nice one Scooter, now tell him what you guys really think of his girlfriend, just to really make his Xmas :rolleyes:

Yeah, give her a good slap, the gold digging bitch!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The next bit of luck he could have is to dump his pushy girlfriend. What was her reaction to him pulling out?

Congratulations Scooter. You defended and protected your father from several influences out to inflict long term damage on him for their own interests. The true significance of your actions will become increasingly apparent in the next 3-5 years.

The next bit of luck he could have is to dump his pushy girlfriend. What was her reaction to him pulling out?

She was not amused I suspect. But then it was not her money at risk...

Nice one! You probably saved the old fella the best part of quarter of a mill in falls and unescessary interest payments over the next few years. What a fantastic xmas pressie!

Not sure about saving him £250,000 but it will almost certainly save him something-perhaps tens of thousands if there is a 5-10% fall next year-hopefully.