House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Where's That Insanity Thread?

She said that even if she hadn't dropped the phone, she may have struggled to dial the number in the heat of the moment.
"Saving me the trouble of having to physically dial emergency services was a godsend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36471180

---

Can you remember the old style phones where you had to let the dial return all the way back before doing the next number?

Can you remember the old style phones where you had to let the dial return all the way back before doing the next number?

And 999 meant having to go all the way around the dial for each one - deliberately so AIUI, to reduce the chance of dialling it accidentally. I'd laugh if there's a spate of emergency calls now from people talking to each other about this story when their phones are lying around nearby.

Wikipedia explains it, although I've re-read it a few times and I'm none the wiser:

The 9-9-9 format was chosen based on the 'button A' and 'button B' design of pre-payment coin-operated public payphones in wide use (first introduced in 1925) which could be easily modified to allow free use of the 9 digit on the rotary dial in addition to the 0 digit (then used to call the operator), without allowing free use of numbers involving other digits; other combinations of free call 9 and 0 were later used for more purposes, including multiples of 9 (to access exchanges before STD came into use) as a fail-safe for attempted emergency calls, e.g. 9 or 99, reaching at least an operator.[7]

And 999 meant having to go all the way around the dial for each one - deliberately so AIUI, to reduce the chance of dialling it accidentally. I'd laugh if there's a spate of emergency calls now from people talking to each other about this story when their phones are lying around nearby.

Also (per James May's Reassembler programme) telephone wires brushing together in wind could create a single pulse so that it would appear that a number was being dialled; so 111 could be easily "dialled" by the wind.

IIRC this was why numbers start with 0, as on the pulse system to get an 0 you would have to have the wires touch ten times in very rapid succession which was near-impossible by accident.

Modern exchanges still accept pulse dialling, and it is possible (though difficult) to dial by rapidly tapping the hook switch, which has the effect of pulsing the line in a similar way to how a rotary dial would.

yes/

"need to ‘dry feed,’ every two hours to fool her body into thinking she is feeding a child so she starts producing milk."

I don't know if that does it on it's own, or it's the huge surge of hormones you have when you have a baby that does it.

yes/

"need to ‘dry feed,’ every two hours to fool her body into thinking she is feeding a child so she starts producing milk."

I don't know if that does it on it's own, or it's the huge surge of hormones you have when you have a baby that does it.

Um, surely we have ample history of dairy farming to have answers to that, if you care to look them up.

Um, surely we have ample history of dairy farming to have answers to that, if you care to look them up.

Cows have to have a calf...

And then we can have veal!

Perhaps Brad should get himself a cow then.

Although, picturing that, it's possibly worse than what he's up to at the moment.

Perhaps Brad should get himself a cow then.

Although, picturing that, it's possibly worse than what he's up to at the moment.

So what are they living on?

If she's had to give up work to give him access, then has he too?