House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

olde guto

Voter Registration Meltdown - Say Hello To I.d Cards?

We've all seen the news about the voter registration website meltdown. Ignoring the implications for the referendum I have a nasty suspicion this could be used as an excuse to reintroduce the ID card. I know that in at least some countries that have ID cards they are used as "polling cards" during elections and because you have to have one you're automatically registered to vote, you just go to the appropriate polling station and vote.

We've all seen the news about the voter registration website meltdown. Ignoring the implications for the referendum I have a nasty suspicion this could be used as an excuse to reintroduce the ID card. I know that in at least some countries that have ID cards they are used as "polling cards" during elections and because you have to have one you're automatically registered to vote, you just go to the appropriate polling station and vote.

we have the electoral role. If you are on it you can vote. No card necessary.

Indeed, the polling cards we received actually state you dont need the card to vote.

Didn't they come up with some amazing fee of 100 billion to implement it all, and therefore it was impossible ?

I asked someone whether they could make the ID card the last page of your passport, but maybe a different colour or something. But apparently that was "too complicated" which probably loosely translates as "doesn't employ anywhere near enough mind bendingly expensive consultants".

I doubt very much that they will go down the ID card route again.

Didn't they come up with some amazing fee of 100 billion to implement it all, and therefore it was impossible ?

I asked someone whether they could make the ID card the last page of your passport, but maybe a different colour or something. But apparently that was "too complicated" which probably loosely translates as "doesn't employ anywhere near enough mind bendingly expensive consultants".

I doubt very much that they will go down the ID card route again.

They'd need a clean database.

You'd have to prove who you were by adding your DNA to a computer and being genetically matched to other people.

We have a much more directly-relevant motivation. Bernard Jenkin has already claimed the meltdown should give grounds for Judicial Review. He's presumably looking to a vote-again-until-you-get-it-right scenario.

It's taken me many attempts to get written confirmation from my old UK council that I am registered to vote on June 23rd. finally got it last week.

It's a system which is run like an amateur cooking club.

Depending on what people are voting for depends on how easy they make it to register to vote......don't want young people to vote, make it hard.....do want young people to vote make it easier, extend the period.

....once the head of any household would name all eligible persons living in the home.....schools and universities can do the same......now thousands of young and mobile people have to register for themselves......many do not bother, they have little or no trust in our leaders, they feel no connection, their thoughts do not count, when in reality it is their future they are voting for not the old past its, they have had their time ?

Depending on what people are voting for depends on how easy they make it to register to vote......don't want young people to vote, make it hard.....do want young people to vote make it easier, extend the period.

....once the head of any household would name all eligible persons living in the home.....schools and universities can do the same......now thousands of young and mobile people have to register for themselves......many do not bother, they have little or no trust in our leaders, they feel no connection, their thoughts do not count, when in reality it is their future they are voting for not the old past its, they have had their time ?

The previous regime disenfranchised you for quite a long time whenever you moved house. Hence, tenants and young people were disproportionately excluded. In 2010 I counted I'd had the vote in two of seven UK general elections since reaching voting age (2015 brings it to three out of eight).

Aren't the people who waited until the last minute the same people who renew their VED at the end of the month so they can stand in a queue with a load of like minded people? :huh: