House Price Crash Forum

Car Tax Discs Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

They were scrapped in 2015 under the banner of efficiency that would save the government £10m a year.

So far scrapping them has actually lost £200m.

Where would we be without this kind of progress?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36468138

It may well be £200m less from road tax - but what has been the take of more onerous fines for not having one - particuarly with ANPR, there really is nowhere to hide and parking in a controlled zone (which is basically any built up urban area in a big city) without a valid tax disc will result in a parking ticket issued

You really can't drive around for long without one

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

They were scrapped in 2015 under the banner of efficiency that would save the government £10m a year.

So far scrapping them has actually lost £200m.

Where would we be without this kind of progress?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36468138

only the paper issuance was scrapped.that's the problem.

how much does it actually cost to employ the armies of data analysts(formerly paper shufflers) that decide you either need a disc,or are due one, or you haven't got one and need to be sued.

taking into account all the lawyers fees etc, that sum probably equates to significantly more than VED generates....so therefore VED is an unneccesary pointless make-work exercise that is actually detrimental to the economic efficiency of the country.

HOLA448

It may well be £200m less from road tax - but what has been the take of more onerous fines for not having one - particuarly with ANPR, there really is nowhere to hide and parking in a controlled zone (which is basically any built up urban area in a big city) without a valid tax disc will result in a parking ticket issued

Seem to be going for the scare tactics up here. Seen a fair few around that had been clamped. I don't think if caught you are lucky enough to just get a ticket.

Big sticker on the side to warn everyone else too.

HOLA449

Could be initial short-term effects of the change, we'll have a better idea after a couple of years.

I only bothered removing my disc a couple of months ago in order to shove a parking permit into the holder. Well, discs, not disc, I'd always just put the new one in over the old one, had about four years' worth.

HOLA4410

Would have been better sticking it onto the price of fuel. Maybe a tax rebate for the haulage companies/public transport etc.

Would catch out the foreign registered vehicles that way too and force them to contribute for using the roads.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Would have been better sticking it onto the price of fuel. Maybe a tax rebate for the haulage companies/public transport etc.

Would catch out the foreign registered vehicles that way too and force them to contribute for using the roads.

The state likes little hoop jumping exercises to test/condition the population in obedience.

Facebook did a thing where they deliberately put a glitch in the iPhone app to test how many users would go back to using a desktop. Stuff like the carrier bag 5p is a similar thing with the state it tests loyalty/obedience and how likely the population is to kick off.

HOLA4414

Recently discovered several vehicles in my business fleet that were assumed to be taxed when new but weren't and have been in daily use without tax travelling all over the country and none of them have been stopped.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Should have put it on fuel.

Far too sensible! It requires little beaurocracy, and would be hard to dodge.

HOLA4418

Anyone who fancies their changes could just put Irish number plates on their car; ANPR, speed cameras, insurance checks, all defeated. And if a copper did get nosy I think the paperwork involved in crossborder checking would mean he could not prove an offence. Best to declare the car SORN first so if someone goes to the bother of checking against the VIN you can say yeah I exported the car when I moved to Ireland - and now I'm back for a visit ;)

HOLA4419

Anyone who fancies their changes could just put Irish number plates on their car; ANPR, speed cameras, insurance checks, all defeated. And if a copper did get nosy I think the paperwork involved in crossborder checking would mean he could not prove an offence. Best to declare the car SORN first so if someone goes to the bother of checking against the VIN you can say yeah I exported the car when I moved to Ireland - and now I'm back for a visit ;)

The police can now access all EU country registration info and drivers info. According to a copper we met recently. All at risk if we vote out of course.

HOLA4420

My car is zero tax. As anyone else who has one will know,you still get a reminder posted to you. Then you have to go online, and tax it. They'd save a little money, if they didn't send out the reminders.

HOLA4421

My car is zero tax. As anyone else who has one will know,you still get a reminder posted to you. Then you have to go online, and tax it. They'd save a little money, if they didn't send out the reminders.

It's probably to ensure that you have insurance and an MOT in place?

If I recall correctly, classic cars were exempt from paying road tax but still needed to show a valid disc for that very reason

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It's probably to ensure that you have insurance and an MOT in place?

If I recall correctly, classic cars were exempt from paying road tax but still needed to show a valid disc for that very reason

so why not put some VED charge on the cost of an MOT instead.?

easy done, in fact I believe they have a similar system in the netherlands.

reduces the need to all that extra paper shuffling.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived