House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

To Catch A Thief

Someone keeps stealing our food waste bin.

They've take it every other week for the last 6-7 weeks, even though we painted our number on it. It's only out the front on collection day, and we take it in that night.

I thought my wife was going a bit batty, but it does indeed gets nicked every 1-2 weeks (after we get a new one)

So my question is this: know any ingenious ways we can catch the thief in the act without staying at home every Monday. I've looked at UV powder, but you have to actually catch the thief to check.

Surely they're nicking it after the binmen have emptied it so any explosive devices or trackers will only blow up or track the binmen.

How odd.

One of those dashboard cameras in your front window I'd have thought.

What time does the binman come for it?

If it is your day off or week off, time for a bit of camping out and watching.

It might be stolen after the binmen come round, so then you've got a smaller window to camp out and wait. Have a video camera ready to listen to the feeble excuse from the thief - "oh I thought it was mine".

...why would someone keep taking it?...what do they do with them?....anyone else in local area got the same problem?.......have a chat with the bin men.;)

GPS tracker under the rim (relatively cheap).

Personally I'd probably want to catch them red handed.

Or just stop them nicking it. Square of concrete or solid anchor point and a chain / rope to a bolt with thick washer drilled in the bottom of the bin.

GPS tracker under the rim (relatively cheap).

Personally I'd probably want to catch them red handed.

Or just stop them nicking it. Square of concrete or solid anchor point and a chain / rope to a bolt with thick washer drilled in the bottom of the bin.

The binmen won't be very happy - and won't empty it.

I've no idea what day bin day is. The bins are on a track leading to the house so I just chuck a bag in one of them every now and then (they've got numbers on but no-one pays any attention to that, and there seems to be one bin fewer than the number of houses anyway). Sometimes they're empty and sometimes they're not. Occasionally I notce some empty bags stuck under the lid so I grab a couple if I'm low. It seems to work.

Bugs Bunny would dress up in a haram slavegirl costume and do an exotic dance next to the bin until the bin thief struck. At which point he would use an oversized mallet...

What's so good about this bin that anyone would want to steal it?

The Duke likes it so he keeps buying it.

He's bought it three times so far.

I've no idea what day bin day is. The bins are on a track leading to the house so I just chuck a bag in one of them every now and then (they've got numbers on but no-one pays any attention to that, and there seems to be one bin fewer than the number of houses anyway). Sometimes they're empty and sometimes they're not. Occasionally I notce some empty bags stuck under the lid so I grab a couple if I'm low. It seems to work.

I think that is what I would do, wrap the bones in newspaper or an old envelope and put it into another handy bin......to be honest I rarely use the food waste bin.....all crumbs the birds get, the rest such as peelings goes for compost and gets recycled. ;)