House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Occulus Rift, Vr Etc

I just tried the Occulus rift in the setting of a supermarket. I now feel sea sick with a headache. I've never been sea sick in my life but I imagine this is what it feels like. I've played computer games since forever and assumed I'd be used to the ...sensation of quick movement but nope, I now feel bleurgh.

Edit: I was testing whatever is the latest version in June 2016.

I just tried the Occulus rift in the setting of a supermarket. I now feel sea sick with a headache. I've never been sea sick in my life but I imagine this is what it feels like. I've played computer games since forever and assumed I'd be used to the ...sensation of quick movement but nope, I now feel bleurgh.

maybe it was the supermarket setting.....

In my experience, it wears off over time. I played six hours of Skyrim in VR the other day with no problems, whereas when I first tried the current generation of headsets I started to feel a bit odd after fifteen minutes.

More to the point, did you pretend you were Cyclops from the X-Men? Or that bloke from Day the Earth Stood Still...blasting petty humans out of your way?

P

I ran down the isles just like I was playing quake or counterstrike. I was really missing a shotgun....and zombies.

In my experience, it wears off over time. I played six hours of Skyrim in VR the other day with no problems, whereas when I first tried the current generation of headsets I started to feel a bit odd after fifteen minutes.

Interesting. I felt absolutely fine when I was in it, only felt rubbish afterwards. I don't know which generation this is btw, I thought they had "fixed" motion sickness somehow.

I also tried a google cardboard thing and that felt absolutely fine.

Interesting. I felt absolutely fine when I was in it, only felt rubbish afterwards. I don't know which generation this is btw, I thought they had "fixed" motion sickness somehow.

The big thing about the Rift and Vive is that they run at 90fps, which eliminates most motion sickness for many people as it can accurately follow your head movements. The last VR headset I used before that was about 320x240 pixels, and probably more like 30fps.

And you're right, when I first started using one, I did find I felt weird the next day. Not exactly sea-sick, but not normal, either. It was a bit like when I was in Italy during earthquake season, and could no longer tell for sure whether the ground was moving or stationary after a few days.

Also, I was walking along a corridor at work the other day and my head jerked for some reason, and I immediately thought 'oh, was that a tracking glitch?'

Either way, it's best to avoid controller-based FPS games to start with, and concentrate on racing and flight sims, or games where you can physically move in whatever space you have available.

The big thing about the Rift and Vive is that they run at 90fps, which eliminates most motion sickness for many people as it can accurately follow your head movements. The last VR headset I used before that was about 320x240 pixels, and probably more like 30fps.

It isn't the fps that causes the nausea, but the lag between the head motion and the visual feed catching up. Of course, you can't be faster than the fps - but even then some people feel sick with the 10msec lag at 90fps... But if the motion sensor is only working at 25 samples per second then the lag will be ~ 40msec irrespective of the 90fps display. What's more, the processing introduces it's own lag - the system needs to recalculate the two display images after each head motion.

Some people are sensitive, some people aren't. VR might be the next hot thing, but it looks a bit more like 3D tv - everyone will rave about it, buy one, then after a while hardly use it as the side effects exceed the benefits.

Interesting, and a bit concerning to me as someone interested in VR (rather jealous of Mark with VR Skyrim, I really, really want to try that). I am quite sensative to motion sickness, kiddies roundabouts could be used on me as a means of torture.

It isn't the fps that causes the nausea, but the lag between the head motion and the visual feed catching up. Of course, you can't be faster than the fps - but even then some people feel sick with the 10msec lag at 90fps... But if the motion sensor is only working at 25 samples per second then the lag will be ~ 40msec irrespective of the 90fps display. What's more, the processing introduces it's own lag - the system needs to recalculate the two display images after each head motion.

Both PC headsets use IMUs that report acceleration at around 1000Hz, and sensors to correct for IMU drift about 60 times a second. So tracking is rarely a problem.

The Rift has what they call Asynchronous Time Warp, where, if the next frame time is coming up and the graphics card hasn't finished one, it will take the previous frame and warp it so it looks like it was rendered from the current headset position. The Vive has something similar, but it doesn't work as well. In particular, the Rift can support any frame rate, whereas the Vive can only do integer fractions of 90fps (e.g. 90, 45, 30, 22, etc).

1 hour later and I still feel "not quite right". And this was the latest version of the Rift, not many have it yet supposedly.

1 hour later and I still feel "not quite right". And this was the latest version of the Rift, not many have it yet supposedly.

Yeah, I ordered mine in February, and it's not supposed to arrive until August.

I've been following it since the kickstarter days as I remember VR the first time round in the 90's.

With all the money that's been thrown at VR this time round, you'd better hope they've solved the motion sickness stuff, otherwise it'll be a very expensive flop.

Regardless of how much time and money has been invested in 'testing', the real testing is going to happen with the first wave of users who buy the hardware. I reckon by this time next year we'll know whether VR has legs or not.

I still remain skeptical that it won't have any long term side effects, as it's still fundamentally strapping a monitor to your head and focusing on a screen an couple of inches away from you for extended periods of time.

I still remain skeptical that it won't have any long term side effects, as it's still fundamentally strapping a monitor to your head and focusing on a screen an couple of inches away from you for extended periods of time.

The screens right in front of your eyes is something that makes me, as someone badly shortsighted, uneasy. However with suitable lenses the focal distance could be increased, has that been done? I imagine that it must've been done because even if you can focus that close it'll be very uncomfortable very quickly. What sort of distance are your eyes having to focus at when using one?

Talking about being shortsighted is it usable with glasses?

I seem to remember posting something about this on the video games thread and was promptly told I was talking out of my ****.

Snafu, you will feel like this forever as the VR will have rewired your brain. You need a compensation feed into your head to restore your internal balance.

Edit : Selective memory, in fact I was talking about your neck muscles snapping under the weight of the thing.

The screens right in front of your eyes is something that makes me, as someone badly shortsighted, uneasy. However with suitable lenses the focal distance could be increased, has that been done? I imagine that it must've been done because even if you can focus that close it'll be very uncomfortable very quickly. What sort of distance are your eyes having to focus at when using one?

Talking about being shortsighted is it usable with glasses?

Infinity.

If looking at something 1m away then you have to focus like it's on the horizon. It's weird because your eyes toe in, but your eye focus point doesn't change. Think of it as wearing automatic glasses that do all the focusing for you.

I've been following it since the kickstarter days as I remember VR the first time round in the 90's.

With all the money that's been thrown at VR this time round, you'd better hope they've solved the motion sickness stuff, otherwise it'll be a very expensive flop.

Regardless of how much time and money has been invested in 'testing', the real testing is going to happen with the first wave of users who buy the hardware. I reckon by this time next year we'll know whether VR has legs or not.

When I was a kid I played Daley Thompsons Decathlon for 12 hours solid with my mate. The computer overheated and we had to unplug it at the wall to stop it burning the house down. I'm older now but I reckon I could do 6 hours of VR provided the headset was not too heavy and I could loll in a chair while using it.

Infinity.

If looking at something 1m away then you have to focus like it's on the horizon. It's weird because your eyes toe in, but your eye focus point doesn't change. Think of it as wearing automatic glasses that do all the focusing for you.

Interesting, might mean if it becomes really common short sightedness will become much less common than it is now. I wonder if it would be possible to have a pixel-sized array of adjustable lenses that sit over the screens to adjust every pixel's focal distance. Probably a bit sci-fi for now, but perhaps not too implausible.

Short sightedness is believed to be affected quite heavily by not being outside enough . Something to do with the light ? Not just the distance aspect.

Interesting, might mean if it becomes really common short sightedness will become much less common than it is now. I wonder if it would be possible to have a pixel-sized array of adjustable lenses that sit over the screens to adjust every pixel's focal distance. Probably a bit sci-fi for now, but perhaps not too implausible.

Nvidia have worked on displays that let you focus on different parts of the image.

I'm somewhat long-sighted now and can't easily focus on anything less than about eighteen inches away, but I have no problem with the Vive without wearing glasses. The Rift is supposed to be worse than the Vive for those who do have to wear glasses for distant vision, because there's not as much space for glasses in the headset.

In fact, one benefit is that I can watch things on a big screen that's focussed in the distance, so they're not as blurry as a laptop close up. In two hardware generations, I expect these kind of displays to replace monitors for many people.

Like Joe I've been following it's evolution since kickstarter. I got to try it for real very recently with my kids at PC World Tottenham Cout Rd, London. It was like nothing else I had ever experinced and it blew me away. I noticed on the HTC site that delivery times were down to 2-3 days, so ordered one there and then. I experienced setting up problems initially which took a couple of days to solve. Since then the kids and I have been having a whale of a time. I found the chaperone system a bit too intrusive for my liking, so discovered a way to make it more subtle in the developer menu settings which worked a treat. However I did get carried away in game and walked straight into a real wall. The funny thing is that I was so immersed in the environment, that for a second or two I didn't realise it was the bedroom wall stopping me, and though it was some invisible barrier.

Motion sickness is something that's plagued me all my life. As a kid I suffered from terrible car sickness, and most fairground rides leave me feeling green. When using Google cardboard I experienced motion sickness almost instantly. Although it's still early days I've yet to experience it with the HTC VIVE, even slightly it has to be said.

Although you have this plastic brick attached to your face, it's not like sitting an inch from your TV screen. Everything in the game seems a comfortable distance away from your eyes, so you're not continually having to refocus. The only criticism I have in this area is that the screen sharpens on what you're looking at directly. As you turn your field of vision blurs slightly, before focusing on what's ahead as you stop. I believe the Oculus Rift doesn't suffer from this as much.

I have to say I'm truly excited about VR and can't see it suffering the same fate as 3D TV/movies. Sony's effort for the PS4 later this year will bring it to the masses, and then it'll truly take off. You really must try it, honestly.

I don't have a bioport! :huh:

A bit too much of a "me too" style post this, but thanks albimac, very interesting, since motion sickness is also an issue for me. What spec machine are you using it on, I've been thinking I might have to get a new one (and since I've just had a new boiler that'll be a blow to my budget)>

A bit too much of a "me too" style post this, but thanks albimac, very interesting, since motion sickness is also an issue for me. What spec machine are you using it on, I've been thinking I might have to get a new one (and since I've just had a new boiler that'll be a blow to my budget)>

Mr Riedquat's boiler deserves a new thread!

A bit too much of a "me too" style post this, but thanks albimac, very interesting, since motion sickness is also an issue for me. What spec machine are you using it on, I've been thinking I might have to get a new one (and since I've just had a new boiler that'll be a blow to my budget)>[/quote

There's plenty of info on the required specs online. I'm using a new Alienware with a GTX 980 graphics card. If your PC is at least a couple of years old then it'll probably struggle to be frank. Radeon have released the RX480 which is apparently VR capable for sub $200. I thought about waiting for Sony's effort as we already have a ps4. However once I tried the demo I couldn't wait that long to get my hands on it. Screw the boiler, it's summer ;-)