House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stuckin2up2down

Doing An Easy Degree To Earn Money

I plan on never earning enough to pay tax again. I've got my tiny home owned outright and the simple things in life please me.

Looking at a uni calculator I can borrow 9k a year to cover fees, and 8.2k a year as a maintenance grant + extra for my dyslexia.

What's to stop people from applying for an art degree with only 12 hours a week needed in uni and as long as you always hand something in you pass and then just living off the grant?

I plan on never earning enough to pay tax again. I've got my tiny home owned outright and the simple things in life please me.

Looking at a uni calculator I can borrow 9k a year to cover fees, and 8.2k a year as a maintenance grant + extra for my dyslexia.

What's to stop people from applying for an art degree with only 12 hours a week needed in uni and as long as you always hand something in you pass and then just living off the grant?

Exams.

Maybe you should study something you have an interest in?

Try the OU - You still get your student loan and DSA, plus it's amazing how little work achieves the minimum 40% pass mark - I even got 95% in one of my assignments and have been well over the pass mark in every assignment. Piece of pi$$

There was another thread on this last week i will say the same here, the fees and living allowance are paid out yearly so you have to complete year 1 to access year 2's funding etc etc

Is there any point doing a qualification in something easy-peasy? Yes there is, in answer my other question. It is if you enjoy the journey.

I'd say you might as well if it is something which you'd enjoy / find rewarding.

I'd put in a note of caution - they might well change the rules one day. That said, they'll be gunning for the median student, so it probably means a lower (not increased with inflation) payment threshold, and increase the number of years during which you have to pay - neither of which would (probably) be relevant in your case.

Nothing, although imo the repayment criteria will change in the future. There is no way the Government is going to allowed billions of pounds of student debt to be written off.

It's been a while since I've looked at the DSA funding but I thought you had to prove a need: Need a note taker, therefore the note taker is funded, it's not money in your pocket.

Try the OU - You still get your student loan and DSA, plus it's amazing how little work achieves the minimum 40% pass mark - I even got 95% in one of my assignments and have been well over the pass mark in every assignment. Piece of pi$$

I did a course with the OU years ago, the natural sciences one, I found it very interesting. Without working that hard I was getting around 85% on my assignments but this was for the level 1 course. I assume level 2 and 3 would be much harder?

If you're planning (or living) a FIRE lifestyle be aware that if you have more than, IIRC, £2k pa of divis/interest, they'll start taking repayments from you.

Nothing, I believe in the US people use these as a source of income.

Saw a Louis Theroux programme a few years ago on meth addiction in the US.

Louis asked the degenerate drug addict where she got her money from, she said that she and her husband were registered students and got student loans. This should be a warning sign for student loan market in the US.

Read about it in the comments section here:

http://documentarystorm.com/the-city-addicted-to-crystal-meth/

Nobody needs an art degree to be able to paint a brilliant picture, throw a pot, take an excellent photograph, act, dance, sing a song, write a song/poem or play an instrument.......they are gifts given not gifts learned. ;)

Nobody needs an art degree to be able to paint a brilliant picture, throw a pot, take an excellent photograph, act, dance, sing a song, write a song/poem or play an instrument.......they are gifts given not gifts learned. ;)

Well f8ck you Winks.

Every instrument I tried has been a struggle!

That's not what I would describe as 'earn'.

And to borrow money with no intention of paying it back is immoral in my book.

Nothing, although imo the repayment criteria will change in the future. There is no way the Government is going to allowed billions of pounds of student debt to be written off.

It's been a while since I've looked at the DSA funding but I thought you had to prove a need: Need a note taker, therefore the note taker is funded, it's not money in your pocket.

I did a course with the OU years ago, the natural sciences one, I found it very interesting. Without working that hard I was getting around 85% on my assignments but this was for the level 1 course. I assume level 2 and 3 would be much harder?

Level 1 don't even count towards the degree (points wise)...I've just finished 60 points plus working 6 days a week, with two final EMAs that were due on the 31st May. One of the hardest things I've ever done...It depends how long you want to spend a week. If you're sure that you can do a degree over three years (120 points a year), then expect to do 50 to 60 hours a week plus (esp when TMAs an EMAs are due), or you can stretch it over 6 years, doing 60 points a year.

At the moment, your looking at £5k to do 120 points...I pay transitional fees, so my degree will cost me £6k in total...

That's not what I would describe as 'earn'.

And to borrow money with no intention of paying it back is immoral in my book.

One-to-one, face to face, with real people or local businesses - I agree. Dealing with the ******ed up network of the state, I disagree. Work the system. Or get ******ed by it.

Well f8ck you Winks.

Every instrument I tried has been a struggle!

Nobody says that practice does not make perfect........but a degree is no proof of a gift.....only the gifted that practice and persevere can create their own qualification that others will quickly verify......no strings attached. ;)

Nobody says that practice does not make perfect........but a degree is no proof of a gift.....only the gifted that practice and persevere can create their own qualification that others will quickly verify......no strings attached. ;)

That is the way to fail at guitar! One of my friends has a degree in music. He is a small pianist!

Level 1 don't even count towards the degree (points wise)...I've just finished 60 points plus working 6 days a week, with two final EMAs that were due on the 31st May. One of the hardest things I've ever done...It depends how long you want to spend a week. If you're sure that you can do a degree over three years (120 points a year), then expect to do 50 to 60 hours a week plus (esp when TMAs an EMAs are due), or you can stretch it over 6 years, doing 60 points a year.

At the moment, your looking at £5k to do 120 points...I pay transitional fees, so my degree will cost me £6k in total...

My understanding was that level 1 courses count towards the point total but only the grades of the level 2 and 3 courses are taken into account when determining the degree classification but it's been ages since I've looked into the OU so I’m not really sure.

By now I would have lost any transitional protection so if I was to restart (something I'm tempted to do but the cost if putting me off) I would be paying the full whack. So in my case it would end costing ~£16k, which strikes me as very poor value for money for a distance course.

My understanding was that level 1 courses count towards the point total but only the grades of the level 2 and 3 courses are taken into account when determining the degree classification but it's been ages since I've looked into the OU so I’m not really sure.

By now I would have lost any transitional protection so if I was to restart (something I'm tempted to do but the cost if putting me off) I would be paying the full whack. So in my case it would end costing ~£16k, which strikes me as very poor value for money for a distance course.

They do all count to 360 points, but the classification of degree you're allocated, is dependent on how well you did at levels 2 & 3. L2 point are times by 2, and L3, times by 3. There is a website here to work it all out..

http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29

Would I do it again? Yes, I would. I'm probably going to move on to the masters, but its the money-side that does give me a few doubts. The OU method is unrelenting...Much harder than when I did my HND nearly twenty years ago, which was a doss in comparison.

The other alternative would be University of London. http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/ I think you can do certain distance learning degrees for £4k.

One-to-one, face to face, with real people or local businesses - I agree. Dealing with the ******ed up network of the state, I disagree. Work the system. Or get ******ed by it.

I look forward to the next thread moaning about some minority group de jour the off topic hive complain about.

They do all count to 360 points, but the classification of degree you're allocated, is dependent on how well you did at levels 2 & 3. L2 point are times by 2, and L3, times by 3. There is a website here to work it all out..

http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29

Would I do it again? Yes, I would. I'm probably going to move on to the masters, but its the money-side that does give me a few doubts. The OU method is unrelenting...Much harder than when I did my HND nearly twenty years ago, which was a doss in comparison.

The other alternative would be University of London. http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/ I think you can do certain distance learning degrees for £4k.

Thanks for the link, the Uni of London looks interesting and a possible alternative.

Obviously yes I'd do it in something I like, just not something as taxing as my first degree was. I often envied the art people and their 1'000 word "essays" they had to do once a year.

The 2k on interest seems insanely low. To the person that said its immoral, they are loaning the money with the condition to paying back when you earn over X. If you never earn over X then it's never repaid. Isn;t really the same as blowing it all and going bankrupt.

Would they stop giving finance if you racked up a few degrees?

Obviously yes I'd do it in something I like, just not something as taxing as my first degree was. I often envied the art people and their 1'000 word "essays" they had to do once a year.

The 2k on interest seems insanely low. To the person that said its immoral, they are loaning the money with the condition to paying back when you earn over X. If you never earn over X then it's never repaid. Isn;t really the same as blowing it all and going bankrupt.

Would they stop giving finance if you racked up a few degrees?

I thought it was first degree and subsequent research degrees only so you'd have to lie on the form.

As ?libspero said on the other thread they are unlikely to have central records though and aren't going to investigate unless they have reason to be suspicious. Though you'd have to keep quiet about your first degree while at the new college in case it was reported and you had to pay it all back.

If anybody wants a free education without the scamming money aspect then try edX.

There are many courses on there from some of the top universities in the world. Entirely free (you can make a payment if you want a certificate at the end of the course).