House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How Safe Is Your Data From Scammers?

Had one of the wife's mates round yesterday and she was nearly the unfortunate victim of a banking scam. It appears that someone had acquired all her details with regards to her TV/phone package rang them up talked to them over the phone, then sent a message to their phone asking for an approval to be made for a Western Union transfer and it seems that it was impossible to decline as no meant yes. Fortunately for the wife's mate said she had insufficient funds so the transfer was declined but if it had gone through recovering the money would have been difficult according to the bank. The individual had all of their details so gave a very convincing performance on the phone that it was all genuine up until the point of trying to transfer nearly £1k from their account, even telling them that their internet was affected by a virus etc.....

However it appears that the tv/phone company operates its call centre they think from India and this is the 2nd time in under 12 months they've been targeted by scammers. I'm just wondering how much useful data is actually leaking out of farmed off cheapo call centres operating out of India?

It appears that someone had acquired all her details with regards to her TV/phone package

Meaning?

If we didn't have idiots responding to cold-callers, I expect they'd go away in due course.

Hang on! If a person on the phone as for you money, what is it for?

It is all the fault of the banks. They're still working as if we're in the 17th century.

I mean - firstly, I can't open a bank account without every form of ID under the sun, yet these monies seem to just disappear... Could banks offer a facility where any transaction into an account outside of the normal UK bank account (personal and business) is put to one side for verification? It seems not - they're perfectly happy to have the money disappear off into offshore accounts, and I can't seem to stop them.

And how come I just can't spend money without the banks wanting checks and double checks - from pin codes to pop-up windows asking for all sorts of verification information - but these scammers seem to be able to move vast sums with just a phone call..!

And not really related, but how come they can't seem to create a system with check digits for (legitimate) bank transfers? They want me to use electronic transfer of funds, but if I transcribe the numbers wrongly or have a fat finger the money disappears and I can't get it back... And they even have this system that they use for some transfers - IBAN numbers include things like check digits - but they insist on sticking with sort+account number for normal transfers.

They're living in the olden days and they aren't interested in building/adopting a better system.