House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

National Fish And Chip Shop Day Today

A shame that fish has become a delicacy and not cheap like it once was, I love it too with chips and mushy peas of course.

There are alternative to cod for the skinteratti like hoki, pollock and hake.

I've been a vegetarian for most of my life but I must admit that someone was having cod and chips at the garden centre the other day and I did, for just one moment, look at it enviously. I only liked cod.

When I first went Up North (aged about 19) for work and found myself in the canteen at lunchtime, I did make the mistake of asking what the bright green substance was.

"That's moooshy peeees" came the slightly indignant and incredulous reply, loud enough for everyone within 200 metres to hear. "Do you want some?"

"Er, no."

I've been a vegetarian for most of my life but I must admit that someone was having cod and chips at the garden centre the other day and I did, for just one moment, look at it enviously. I only liked cod.

When I first went Up North (aged about 19) for work and found myself in the canteen at lunchtime, I did make the mistake of asking what the bright green substance was.

"That's moooshy peeees" came the slightly indignant and incredulous reply, loud enough for everyone within 200 metres to hear. "Do you want some?"

"Er, no."

I'm almost a veggie, but fish no problem and it tastes great.

vote out, so we can control our fisheries again.

Edinburgh Chippy Sauce is great. I do like mushy peas too.

Ketchup and Belgian-stylee mayo with mine;

and of course, a large gherkin - sadly almost impossible to find in some parts of the country (I'm talking about you Middlesbrough).

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Pwhoar!

Now you're talking.

Rarely have gherkins in as they just get eaten really quickly.

I went to wetherspoons last week for the first time in months.

The price had gone up to 675 from 625 but then again there were plenty more chips.

The owner Tim wosname is dead keen on Brexit....they should kick all lily livered cowherds out !

I'm vegetarian but also miss cod. Not bothered about any other fish at all. Haddock and skate are revolting.

Incidentally, anyone heard of a Jenny Haniver? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Haniver - wtf.

Jenny Hanley from Magpie yes, Haniver no. But they probably have both seen better days.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/11/590x/secondary/128807.jpg

and of course, a large gherkin - sadly almost impossible to find in some parts of the country (I'm talking about you Middlesbrough).

IDShot_540x540.jpg

You clearly have never been to a lidl - gherkins in three sizes.

Fish and chips round my way are pretty mediocre so I rarely bother, but I was recently in Plymouth on business and made a special trip to the Barbican in the evening for dinner.

Cod and chips, salt and vinegar, and nothing else bar a little wooden fork - the pureists choice ;)

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Waitrose do GREAT pickled gherkins, if you're near one. 1.99 for 360grammes (drained). ?

Waitrose do GREAT pickled gherkins, if you're near one. 1.99 for 360grammes (drained). ?

But that jar of Haywards is something like 69p in B&M.

£2 for gherkins? Saw you coming. I blanche at paying a whole English pound for cornichons.

It occurs to me that Fish and Chip shops are one of the very few businesses that have not suffered from globalisation. They always seem to be independently owned and operated. Where's Jamie's Fish Bar et al?

IDShot_540x540.jpg

It's a Wally. ;)

When I was very little I used to demand fish and chips from one specific shop in town (not the other one) - the fish and particularly the chips there were great. My brother used to mock me, saying they were all the same - but I was adamant that those chips were fantastic.

I had very fond memories of those chips - but nothing I had could come close to those chips.

Until a holiday about 5 years ago in the north west (not sure where exactly now) - I had those chips again. They were fantastic.

I realised then that the magic which was missing in modern chips was lard. I'll now forego fish and chips if they're cooked in veg. oil - they're just not good enough.

I realised then that the magic which was missing in modern chips was lard. I'll now forego fish and chips if they're cooked in veg. oil - they're just not good enough.

Yup. The more common fish and chips cooked in cheap veg oil has to be the most over-rated take away ever.

Used to work in a fish and chip shop, this is some of what we served:

Cod, haddock, plaice, skate both middle and wing, rock or huss, cod roe, chicken, saveloy, sausage in batter........all fish was fresh thick and flaky and batter made in house, plus all the condiments....chips as I recall were soaked in drywite to stop discoloration......you can't beat a good well cooked fish and chip. :)