House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Uber And Airbnb Do Not Need Regulating

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eu-warns-on-over-regulation-of-companies-such-as-airbnb-uber-1464861605

The guidelines published by the European Commission, the bloc’s executive arm, provide the EU’s interpretation to existing law and how it should be applied to the so-called “sharing economy.” It issued the guidelines because member states have responded in different ways to the rapidly growing market, the EU says.

The EU wants to encourage the growth of the sharing economy, which it sees as promoting entrepreneurship and startups at a time when the bloc is still suffering from a relatively weak jobs market.

Is it entrepreneurship for people to sign up to Uber and become taxi drivers?

Is regulation of existing taxi businesses too strong? Why do proper B&Bs need fire regs etc applying if AirB&B don't?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/616669/Uber-taxi-driver-rape-Delhi-life-sentence-female-passenger-Shiv-Kumar-Yadav

Following the horrific incident the Delhi government banned Uber, as well as several other web-based taxi companies, for failing to adequately carry out driver checks.

Regulation: government interference for the purpose of taxation and price manipulation.

And a competition reductions strategy sought by incumbent players. You can bet that calls for regulation come from old school hoteliers and taxi companies - not from The People; who are, of course, free to choose whichever service they want. Unless govt intervenes and prohibits their choice.

And a competition reductions strategy sought by incumbent players. You can bet that calls for regulation come from old school hoteliers and taxi companies - not from The People; who are, of course, free to choose whichever service they want. Unless govt intervenes and prohibits their choice.

I want to avoid paying Uber their 20% plus fee.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to drive my car around prime city streets and tout for business. I'd put a taxi sign on the car roof just to avoid confusion.

Can see Uber and it's backers lobbying hard against that...

I use Uber mainly because they find my house with this gps (postcode no worky) aaaaaaandroid I can pay with this crazy concept of credit card.

I can pay with cards in all Swedish taxis I know of, but nowhere in the UK (at least not in the car, or order yes, if their website /app even works).

Viva Uber.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to drive my car around prime city streets and tout for business. I'd put a taxi sign on the car roof just to avoid confusion.

I think Uber would be right behind you. In some jurisdictions, you don't need a private hire licence to take fares or to work as an uber driver. That's the legislative environment they prefer.

Because you may be a fracking menace on the road, uninsured, unmaintained vehicle, just generally doing a China on the free market.

Taxi firms have to prove all the above...so should the Uber driver. As does the PSV driver, the HGV driver and so on.

I use Uber mainly because they find my house with this gps (postcode no worky) aaaaaaandroid I can pay with this crazy concept of credit card.

I can pay with cards in all Swedish taxis I know of, but nowhere in the UK (at least not in the car, or order yes, if their website /app even works).

Viva Uber.

There is no doubt technology shake up is in order.

Because you may be a fracking menace on the road, uninsured, unmaintained vehicle, just generally doing a China on the free market.

Taxi firms have to prove all the above...so should the Uber driver. As does the PSV driver, the HGV driver and so on.

https://www.gov.uk/taxi-driver-licence/outside-london

Eligibility

To apply you must:

be able to work legally in the UK

have held a full GB or Northern Ireland driving licence - or a full EU driving licence - for at least 12 months

You must also be a ‘fit and proper person’ - which means your background and character will be checked. Your council may carry out an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

You may also need:

a medical examination

a ‘knowledge’ test

to take a DVSA taxi driving test

Only a few reasons why you shouldn't uber.