House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

#dontgoturkey‬: Young Kurds And Turks Urge Europeans To Stop Funding Ankara

A group consisting of Turks and Kurds has launched a campaign in Britain to boycott one of Turkey’s main sources of income – tourism. They claim that money spent on holiday is then turned into “missiles, tear gas and sniper [ammo]” used against the Kurds.

The newly-launched campaign dubbed “Don’t Go Turkey” is aimed at fighting “against Turkey for its atrocities committed towards humanity,” as the campaign’s Twitter account puts it. Its organizers call on Europeans, and Brits in particular, “not to spend any of [their] hard earned decent money on Turkish products, Tourism, Airlines or any other investment, as it all goes directly into financing war against the Kurds and supporting IS terrorism.”

Travel and tourism generated some $96 billion of the country’s GDP in 2014, making its direct contribution to the budget greater than that of any other sector, with the exception of retail and agriculture, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) report.

https://www.rt.com/news/345249-dont-go-turkey-campaign-kurds/

5750b6f1c4618895308b456b.jpg

57507b11c461882e088b45a3.jpg

Seems like common Turks and Kurds are far more intelligent than the dictator running their country.

Hmm. As much as Erdogan is ghastly, I'm not sure that depriving your average Turkish waiter or hotel room cleaner of a living is going to help much. I think that the Israelis shouldn't be settling their occupied territories but that doesn't mean I support the BDS movement.

Hmm. As much as Erdogan is ghastly, I'm not sure that depriving your average Turkish waiter or hotel room cleaner of a living is going to help much.

Of course it will help. It will deprive the Turkish regime of tax income and it will turn the population against the regime.

I think that the Israelis shouldn't be settling their occupied territories but that doesn't mean I support the BDS movement.

That's incoherent. I would never buy anything made in Israel for the exact reasons you mention.

So long as that nut Merkel keeps giving European money to Erdogan to hold migrants, i doubt Erdogan will be too bothered. with millionds of Turks flooding into europe too, remittances will begin to take off.

Sanctions have done jack all to Putin, truth is they never really did much in south Africa either.

So long as that nut Merkel keeps giving European money to Erdogan to hold migrants, i doubt Erdogan will be too bothered. with millionds of Turks flooding into europe too, remittances will begin to take off.

Sanctions have done jack all to Putin, truth is they never really did much in south Africa either.

Erdogan's recalled his ambassador from Berlin because the Germans have said the Turks committe genocide against the Armenians. Germany isn't naive about Turkey.

That's incoherent. I would never buy anything made in Israel for the exact reasons you mention.

I admire a man who still buys computers with AMD processors, overclocking them (and even hacking Durons into multiprocessor) was great fun when I was a computer nerd. But I gave up when Intel regained crushing performance superiority thanks to their Israeli lab.

I still overclock on principle BTW.

So long as that nut Merkel keeps giving European money to Erdogan to hold migrants, i doubt Erdogan will be too bothered.

Actually Erdogan recently complained that he hasn't seen a single penny of those promised 3 billion Euros, so nothing has been given to him yet, and if he continues with his recent policies I doubt he will ever see that money.

The Turkish policy of letting hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants flood into neighboring Greece has totally screwed the Greek tourist industry. I'll not go on holiday to Turkey for the foreseeable future while they have an ego-maniacal Islamist in power.

I'm still wondering why the BBC had a love-in with the Turkish tourist industry a couple of week ago. Toby Foster on BBC Radio Sheffield was a gnats whisker away from accusing people who don't go on holiday to places like Turkey bigots.

These Turkish kids probably realise that they're just another couple of turns of the ratchet away from living in a full blown theocracy...

Of course it will help. It will deprive the Turkish regime of tax income and it will turn the population against the regime.

Unless they're barely tolerant of the regime to begin with it's more likely to breed resentment of the more direct cause - those encouraging people to stay away and those staying away. Impose sanctions and you stand a good chance of just turning people against those imposing them. The ones in power are the last to suffer., and the more autocratic the regime is the more that's true.

Turkish police have launched a murder inquiry after an Irishman was found dead in an apartment in Bodrum.

It is understood the man in his 60s, had suffered a stab wound.

He was found at about 14:00 local time on Friday at the holiday apartment.

The Irish department of foreign affairs is providing consular assistance to his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36451412