House Price Crash Forum
opt_out

Dimbleby Seems To Think Lower House Prices Is A Good Thing !

Not watched Question Time for many years, I just rely on the reports on this site, but tonight I happened to spot that Brexit was represented by the **** Neil Hamilton and the Remains had the young cool Owen Jones on their side.

I thought I'd watch for a bit just to wind myself up, but then I fell off my chair when David Dimbleby said to the Tory housing person "but wouldn't lower house prices be a good thing"

Was this just Devil's advocate interview technique, or was this an indication of some kind of mainstream jump in understanding? The Tory (Elizabeth Truss MP) seemed to disagree with the statement.

I overheard someone on the bus once say Dimbleby was high high up in MI5. No idea how true that was but I read years ago that western intelligence agencies infiltrated all mainstream media as a standard protocal to control message. Makes sense I suppose.

How does this relate to this thread? FCK knows.

Hamilton is doing an OK job in my view (but then I agree with his views on Brexit). I still suspect he was put on the show to alienate people against Brexit, but fair play if he manages not to come over as a total **** and makes a good case.

Edited by opt_out

And Frank Field suggests that affordable house prices are irrelevant as an issue. I guess he doesn't spend 60% of his wages on rent. Sort that and I will then consider other issues.

And Frank Field suggests that affordable house prices are irrelevant as an issue. I guess he doesn't spend 60% of his wages on rent. Sort that and I will then consider other issues.

Part of Frank's plan to not think the unavoidably thinkable?

That is not what he said at all.

What he did say is that you should not base your vote on George Osbornes claim that post Brexit house prices will fall by exactly 18 per cent. Not the same thing at all.

It said a lot about the reman panel members that Neil Hamilton came over as far more impressive.

Edited by MARTINX9

Didn't see QT, but I do know Owen Jones is one of the worst people you would ever choose to represent any kind of view. He's such a cardboard cutout right-on spieler. Any suggestion of being against uncontrolled mass immigration and he will immediately take a condescending tone and suggest knuckle-draggery and racism is the reason why anyone might be against "immigration" (yes, he would drop the "uncontrolled mass" bit, because - well, let's keep it simple). I hope that w4nker scored a few more votes for Brexit.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

Why the hell wouldn't lower house prices be a good thing? Do people think the UK economy is going well? We've tried high house prices for the last 30 years, and very very high house prices for the last 15 years. How's that worked out? One financial crash (based on high house prices in the US and UK), followed by 7 years of ZIRP and a zombie economy that's propped up by £10bn a month net borrowing and mass immigration.

Just imagine - lower house prices = more disposable income to pollinate the wider economy. Overall it would make the population MORE mobile. People who bought at high prices and have tiny equity and can't afford to move because of negative equity will be a much smaller number of people than the millions of renters who suddenly in the future have an option to buy property. It will actually be a boost for the property market as a whole with transactions getting back to what a normal market price would give it.

Why the hell wouldn't lower house prices be a good thing? Do people think the UK economy is going well?

Because it's good that I've got more because my house has gone up! It means I've got more money! And if I buy some more and rent them out then sell them for even more I must be a good businessman and hence help the economy!

"High house prices == good for the economy" is typical can't-tell-the-difference-between-cause-and-effect stupidity. Prices tend to go up when the economy grows (still not really got my head around what economic growth is actually giving us that's worth having any more either), therefore that's good and presumably part of what's making it grow. Although to be fair it probably is that when the "growth" is really just piling on more debt without anything solid driving it.

I am really starting to wonder about all this supposed "cleaning up" we have done over the past few decades. It was mentioned yesterday for example about the myth of "cheap money" these days. But look what has happened in only my life time in the past few decades, I was able to buy a cracking home in a great community when interest rates were abound 7%, but I only needed to borrow a few £10,000's, mortgage rates might be low today, but people are having to borrow £100,000's now.

I remember when Neil Hamilton was collared for taking brown envelopes or when we had the MP's scandal, I was as outraged as anyone else. But now time has passed I am starting to think, so what! have we really stopped corruption in a way that it saves the country a lot of money and makes it a better place. At the end of the day MP's get paid crap money for taking endless stick and what really should be an important job, the few at the top will write books etc and do very nicely out of it, not your average backbencher though.

So we stop MP's claiming for a few million quid while we allow the banking system to screw us for £100's Billions while they have the government in their back pocket, and lets not forget the tax dodging. And for all my protesting about the dodgy MP's were we all whiter than white. When I was based in Germany in the forces I remember when the lads drove back to the UK for a little R&R, and claimed their travelling expenses, nearly the whole of the British Army headed for a small town called Wick in the far north of Scotland, basically the furthest point from the south coast where they ferried in.

We might think we are a cleaner society now, but when you scratch the surface.

Yup. Boiling frogs. But hey, at least we're in the age of the iPhone even if we can't afford a roof over our head :(

I don't really understand Owen Jones. Is he the love child of Billy Bragg and Citizen Smith?

However, he did bang on about worker's rights. Apart from the fact that a lot of these rights were not created by the the Union (maternity pay being the one they always muck up on), have they really been a good thing?

From what I can see, zero hours contracts are a direct result of more workers rights. The rights of part timers have been boosted so much that employers have needed to find a way around them, hence zero hours.

Are zero hours jobs common across the EU or is it something that we have done alone? If they are widespread, surely the EU should have tackled / banned them?

I know I would rather have some guaranteed hours than the rights to equal pay / paid holidays as a part timer.

The days where the working average man needed and got help and support are long gone, they are stuffed by the left and right.

Damn straight! I consider myself to be a lefty but I don't like this greenie vegetarian political correctness thing that is usually associated with the left. I just want a fair deal in life like everyone else.

I cannot think of much worse than listening to that naive nasal whiner Owen Jones. Apart from maybe being forced to pay to fund it via threat of imprisonment. Aside from Dimblebore, are the QT panel paid?

Conversely, MattW, I'm on the right but the 2 elements that I like about the left are veganism/vegetarianism (animal rights) and the green movement. Funny old world eh.

I overheard someone on the bus once say Dimbleby was high high up in MI5. No idea how true that was but I read years ago that western intelligence agencies infiltrated all mainstream media as a standard protocal to control message. Makes sense I suppose.

How does this relate to this thread? FCK knows.

Probably not as barmy as it sounds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1522875/Revealed-how-the-BBC-used-MI5-to-vet-thousands-of-staff.html

Didn't see QT, but I do know Owen Jones is one of the worst people you would ever choose to represent any kind of view. He's such a cardboard cutout right-on spieler. Any suggestion of being against uncontrolled mass immigration and he will immediately take a condescending tone and suggest knuckle-draggery and racism is the reason why anyone might be against "immigration" (yes, he would drop the "uncontrolled mass" bit, because - well, let's keep it simple). I hope that w4nker scored a few more votes for Brexit.

Owen Jones is the most irritating person on television, he comes across as a jumped up kid going through an adolescent phase and sees confrontation in every conversation. I guess he is a lot older than he looks and sounds.

Edited by crashmonitor

Confidential papers, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph, have revealed that the BBC allowed MI5 to investigate the backgrounds and political affiliations of -thousands of its employees, including newsreaders, reporters and continuity announcers.

and the rest. That was way back then.

Entire swathes of bbc programme anchor persons now seem to be unrelentingly and unswervingly on message that they never seem to slip up.

During the cold war Soviet newsreaders were implied by the bbc to be no different to Soviet agents so read into that what you will through the amazing global Alice In Wonderland Looking Glass.

Edited by billybong

The trouble with today's so called lefty activists is that only the unemployed, lazy and otherwise, ethnic parents with a dozen or more kids and no job or dis functional are in their remit. The days where the working average man needed and got help and support are long gone, they are stuffed by the left and right.

Not sure what an actual lefty is but that probably characterises me better than most political stereotypes. I am also an employee rep and spend a huge amount of time helping working average men (and women) in our company with redundancies, discplinaries, capability reviews, and whatever else HR regularly dream up to clobber them with. Haven't eaten any dead animals these last 40 years so guess that makes me a vegetarian too. Luckily all this plus too many pints hasn't addled me over the line and I can still plainly see the stupidity of the UK's housing market, its economy, and most of its politicians.

Hamilton is doing an OK job in my view (but then I agree with his views on Brexit). I still suspect he was put on the show to alienate people against Brexit, but fair play if he manages not to come over as a total **** and makes a good case.

Nothing with him being UKIP leader in Wales then... :rolleyes:

and the rest. That was way back then.

Entire swathes of bbc programme anchor persons now seem to be unrelentingly and unswervingly on message that they never seem to slip up.

During the cold war Soviet newsreaders were implied by the bbc to be no different to Soviet agents so read into that what you will through the amazing global Alice In Wonderland Looking Glass.

Probably more to do with Common Purpose. I doubt MI5 are interested in ingratiating Lenny Henry.

Probably more to do with Common Purpose. I doubt MI5 are interested in ingratiating Lenny Henry.

Common purpose is insidious. How can it be stopped?