House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stormymonday_2011

Italian Man Suffers Brain Damage And Now Eats, Reads And Speaks French

An Italian man suffered a brain injury and now speaks "movie-like" French and poses as a "caricature of a French man".

Despite having never expressed an interest in French culture, the 50-year-old now has a penchant for French films, books and food.

In a recent study paper from the University of Edinburgh, the man anonymised and known as JC had briefly dated a French woman in his 20s but had never "manifested a particular attachment to French culture or French cuisine".

The report's authors added: "He uses French to communicate with everybody who is prepared to listen; he speaks French with his bewildered Italian relatives, with the consultants; he spoke French even in front of the befuddled committee deciding on his pension scheme.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-man-suffers-brain-damage-and-now-speaks-french-and-france-compulsive-foreign-language-a7061001.html

A sad affliction which seems also to to prevalent amongst people in the UK media and politics

I misread it as "eats rats"! :blink:

Have a read of 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat'

People's brains are weird.

That's a great book. Every chapter dealing with a different weirdness of the brain. I liked the chapter about the ex heavy drug user that for 6 months had a canine like sense of smell.

That's a great book. Every chapter dealing with a different weirdness of the brain. I liked the chapter about the ex heavy drug user that for 6 months had a canine like sense of smell.

If I have remember correctly, I read somewhere that it was in fact the author after he'd gone on an recreational drugs binge!

Living like a dog for 6 months sounds great!

I liked the case of the woman who lost her language ability after a stroke. She couldn't speak or understand other people. She even lost her internal monologue. She described it as a deeply peaceful state of being and was sad when she recovered and the voices returned!

Living like a dog for 6 months sounds great!

I liked the case of the woman who lost her language ability after a stroke. She couldn't speak or understand other people. She even lost her internal monologue. She described it as a deeply peaceful state of being and was sad when she recovered and the voices returned!

The canine guy had a party trick where he went outside while one person briefly visited his bedroom. He'd come back and sniff out who it was.

The Presidents Speech was good too. He never said which prez but I'm guessing Nixon. A room of people with the aural equivalent of dyslexia watching TV. Not deaf but spoken words have no meaning to them. They were reading his body language and found his lies hilarious.

Have to buy that book again.