House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Used Xbox One Madness ?

I'm a bit of console hoarder. I've got most of major units from over last couple of decades. I tend to wait for them to get a few revisions but always buy new,with the exception of the Xbox 360 and the Game cube. I have a PS4 but it's packed away due to a dusty environment. I've been looking at the Xbox One for some time. I think the 1tb matt black unit is about £260 new from Amazon (from Amazon) yet used 500gb unit on eBay Gumtree etc still sell for just under £200.

These units are often scratched (how ?) and invariably have no warranty. I've even seen sellers on eBay selling sealed new Xbox's with a no returns condition. They've sold 100's at just bellow or retail price.

Often auctions end at over retail but include a few games that could be purchased for about £30 used on Amazon in new condition.

The high street appears to be equally insane. But at least CEX et al give you a warranty and you can see it.

I'll probably wait until the new version comes out and the old new stock should come down.

Xbox One 1TB Console - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KL3WBBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RvYtxbMJAZWF8

A couple of points.

Firstly, you can regularly get Xbox One deals on hotukdeals for about £225 for the 1TB model. Often they come with the latest game. People flog the game straight away to one of the game stores, such as CEX, for about £25 - £30 which means they get the console for under £200. I recall one guy selling his game to CEX for £40 the day his console arrived.

Occasionally, Amazon Germany or Amazon France will have the console under £200 for the console and one of the latest games. Heck of a deal. However, MS has now started charging Brits a 'fee' if a German or French bought Xbox is returned to them under warranty in the UK. How the feck they can get away with this just beggars disbelief - aren't we all supposed to be one happy bunch of Europeans - but others, such as LG, allegedly operate similar policies.

Secondly, the Xbox One is pencilled in for a refresh - looks like it will come sometime in the Autumn. Probably in time for the US November Black Friday sales. If this happens then the current Xbox One will fall in price again nearer that date.

Thirdly... There is probably a thirdly.

Xbox one v2 (thin/slim) to be announced 13th June (E3).

Xbox one v2.1 (super powerful version, Scorpio) to be announced autumn.

Prices in the US have just been cut by $50 - and they've not even announced the new one properly yet. I'd wait until the new one is actually announced and see what happens to prices.

[i don't actually know this, but have a 11yr old son who is keeping me informed on the off-chance that it will go below my pain threshold]

Xbox one v2 (thin/slim) to be announced 13th June (E3).

Xbox one v2.1 (super powerful version, Scorpio) to be announced autumn.

Prices in the US have just been cut by $50 - and they've not even announced the new one properly yet. I'd wait until the new one is actually announced and see what happens to prices.

[i don't actually know this, but have a 11yr old son who is keeping me informed on the off-chance that it will go below my pain threshold]

Good stuff. I want to buy one. The current version will do me but I want it at a cheaper price.

Apparently the current one has lost a load of sales to PS4 due to the graphics not being as powerful - they had to use some of the graphics for that kinect sensor thing that flopped but never upped the graphics after they stopped bundling the sensor.

This used sex box madness is all filth! :wacko:

Xbox is OK. But I have PS4 fever.

Last of us = better than a sex box.

Horses for courses, personally prefer the Xbox and Windows ecosystem. Graphics better on the PS4, but like HD or 4K TV after 5 10 minutes you don't really notice and it should really be about the gameplay. But I've always found the PvP stuff on Xbox to be more seemless (going back generations, not necessarily this generation).

The xbox was designed to be a media hub as much as a console and if you use it as such that's where it shines, doesn't go quite far enough in the UK but it's replaced loads of devices.

Yeah don't understand either, same with mobile phones, phones that were the latest and greatest 3 or 4 years ago (such as galaxy s4 or Nexus 5) are still on sale on eBay about £100.

Why would anyone buy them? You can get a similar spec phone brand new for just over £100

Thirdly... There is probably a thirdly.

Thirdly, don't buy an Xbox one.

Playstation 4 is better in almost every respect. Uncharted 4 alone makes the PS4 worth buying.

People are very price sensitive, and don't judge value easily.

If I sold 1Kg of peanuts for £3 KP make

and 1Kg of peanuts for £2.50 unknown make

what would you take?