House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cool4Cats

Hertfordshire - What Will Luton Airport Expansion Do?

Have just heard that Luton Airport has a large planning application in place (see Stop Luton Airport).

Partly glad that a house I was trying to buy recently in this area fell through and I'm not left under the flightpath - but am certain that if this application went through house prices in some areas would have to plummet.

Question is what would they do to the areas on the edge? For example Harpenden which would end up within a mile of an airport the size of Heathrow and is currently very expensive.

Question is what would they do to the areas on the edge? For example Harpenden which would end up within a mile of an airport the size of Heathrow and is currently very expensive.

I think you and I know the answer to this, I rent in harpenden at the moment and am not looking to buy until there is a signifigant drop in prices and I certainly wouldn't buy there before a final decision has been made on the airport expansion.

I must admit that I haven't paid too much attension to the airport expansion but I believe there is a huge amount of pressure for it not to go ahead. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by laughing_goat

Have just heard that Luton Airport has a large planning application in place (see Stop Luton Airport).

Partly glad that a house I was trying to buy recently in this area fell through and I'm not left under the flightpath - but am certain that if this application went through house prices in some areas would have to plummet.

I haven't heard much about the expansion plans - do you have a link with details? I'd imagine having flight routes over Harpenden would have a major effect on the area.

Was luton not voted one of the worst places to live in the UK ?.

And where the london terrorists left their car (at the station) ?

Probably most of the illegal immigrants live their also

Airport should help further to get the silly prices down

I haven't heard much about the expansion plans - do you have a link with details? I'd imagine having flight routes over Harpenden would have a major effect on the area.

You can try www.stoplutonairport.org and the links at www.stoplutonairport.org/html/links.html.

Are rents in H as silly as HPs?

Strangely enough no. Harpenden rents, whether for flats or houses are, if anything, cheaper than the area around. The rents appear to be less than St Albans, and pretty much on a par with Hertford. I have been looking for a new rental place and noted that properties in Harpenden seemed to remain on Rightmove longer than those in St Albans - opportunities for a discount?

You can try www.stoplutonairport.org and the links at www.stoplutonairport.org/html/links.html.

Interesting links. I hadn't heard about the expansion plans before. I guess the effect on property prices might be mixed. A lot of jobs would be created - if anything like Stanstead at good rates of pay. If public transport is improved, especially train links to London, this could provide additional upward pressure on prices.

The downwards pressure would be in the areas of Hertfordshire which attract top earning commuters who may find that the attractions of Harpenden etc are reduced by the increase in noise.

Strangely enough no. Harpenden rents, whether for flats or houses are, if anything, cheaper than the area around. The rents appear to be less than St Albans

Amazing

and pretty much on a par with Hertford.

Wow!!! :huh::huh::huh:

Amazing

Wow!!! :huh::huh::huh:

Worth a look if you are renting. Smallish three bed houses seem particularly good value. I wandered into a couple of estate agents to look at particulars. Wihout any prompting they indicated that prices were open to negotiation. Nice town too.

Nice town too.

Understatement of the century.

If we hadn't just (4 weeks ago) taken a 2 yr rental in Herts /Essex border we'd be looking there.

Useful info.

Some sales figures from rightmove for the AL1 - AL5 postcodes, St. Albans Herts. These are volumes not prices paid :-

Total Sales-

2002 - 3688

2003 - 2905

2004 - 3171

2005 - 2177 ( Down 1511 from peak )

Flats -

2002 - 853

2003 - 589

2004 - 665

2005 - 488 ( Down 365 from peak )

Terraced -

2002 - 1064

2003 - 871

2004 - 920

2005 - 611 (Down 453 from peak )

Detached -

2002 - 807

2003 - 675

2004 - 676

2005 - 514 (Down 293 from peak )

Note that volumes actually peaked in this area, in 2002 in all cases.

Many of the "actual sold prices" have also peaked and dropped back slightly as well now, will post details when I have the time.