House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Wireless Ip Cctv Camera Me

So the IP camera I purchased from Amazon (Annke 1.0MP ProHD) died after 6 months. Amazon were very good and sent a courier to collect it (they unfortunately didn't see it on the doorstep and will have to come back again). I paid about £40 for the (w)Annke,so naturally I'm not impressed with its longevity but at least it's being refunded (another six months and I'd be out of pocket).

Now I need a new one. I leave it trained on the motorbike chained up on my drive but it's nice to have a sweep around the front room if I'm out. These items appear to be in the category of "read the reviews" and you'll end up buying nothing and wasting hours in the process.

So any good one's out there under £50 ?

You need to spend a bit more for good ones, for 40-50 quid you only get consumer garbage. I bought one on ebay directly from a Chinese seller for 100 Euros (resellers in Europe were selling it for 250 Euros at the time) which might seem expensive to you but it was actually a bargain as it's professional quality and is still working fine after more than 2 years of 24/7 use (it has coped with peak temperatures of 40C last summer here in Germany and winter temperatures of -15C).

You need to spend a bit more for good ones, for 40-50 quid you only get consumer garbage. I bought one on ebay directly from a Chinese seller for 100 Euros (resellers in Europe were selling it for 250 Euros at the time) which might seem expensive to you but it was actually a bargain as it's professional quality and is still working fine after more than 2 years of 24/7 use (it has coped with peak temperatures of 40C last summer here in Germany and winter temperatures of -15C).

Tend to agree, also suspect needs a full dome/cover to be at all reliable for more than a short time.

Panasonic make some nice kit but not sure anything even in slightly higher price range.

I've bought several of the cheaper systems - most are a derivative of Tenvis/Foscam units (or is it the other way around?) and seem to work okay, but they can be a nightmare to set up (or they might not - they seem to throw problems randomly which only seem to be resolvable using a factory-defaults reset - but when they do work they do tend to just keep going).

I've been impressed by the cheaper Panasonic cameras - they seem to just work.

I'd buy two or three static ones over a single pan/tilt unit- not only is there less to go wrong, it is much easier to set up motion sensitive video recording with a static camera. There probably wouldn't be much in the price.

[as an aside, I wouldn't allow any of the cameras through my firewall - I've had a hack at a few of the cheap ones and they don't seem that secure]

I got fly tipped today, a load of roofing rubble was dumped outside the rear of my garage. It's not the first time i have had stuff dumped there and i really want to catch whoever is doing it and get them prosecuted and a criminal record and in the Daily Mail.

What cheap fixed camera do i need? Im not sure what times the fly tipping is being done so may need a 24hr rolling recording to catch them, i suspect todays roof rubble dumping was done early morning.

(i have power sockets in the garage).

I can set mine (see above) to detect motion, take still shots, and email them to me.

That is the easiest way to do it... If you just want a record (rather than emergency notification, as it were), then get a gmail (or whatever) account just for the camera stills.

I got fly tipped today, a load of roofing rubble was dumped outside the rear of my garage. It's not the first time i have had stuff dumped there and i really want to catch whoever is doing it and get them prosecuted and a criminal record and in the Daily Mail.

What cheap fixed camera do i need? Im not sure what times the fly tipping is being done so may need a 24hr rolling recording to catch them, i suspect todays roof rubble dumping was done early morning.

(i have power sockets in the garage).

Nature camera might be an option - small, runs on batteries, takes photos when motion triggered. Might be better night time IR mode for which you would need a higher end security camera.

... Might be better night time IR mode for which you would need a higher end security camera.

Remember that you can get the infrared illuminator separately from the camera. This can actually help as 1) you can get a huge illuminator for not much £, 2) you can place the illuminator a little distance from the camera which can give shadows on faces which can help with recognition etc, and if you do this 3) a felon wouldn't be able to locate the camera using their mobile phone camera, only the illuminator.

On the subject of illuminators, there is a theory that would be criminals use their phones to identify property with an infra-red illuminator. Whether they then regard the property as high-value or not worth the risk is open to debate - but presumably if you want to pretend you've got a camera you should use a cheap illuminator, not one of those £5 pretend cameras (which are immediately obvious as fake, not least because no real cameras have the little red flashing lights).

I'm thinking about using an old laptop as a PVR and wiring a cam of some sort to a TP link.

This one is open source. Any suggestions a cheap cam please ?

https://www.ispyconnect.com/download.aspx

If you wire it you could use a cheap USB webcam. Obviously limitations with wire length etc, but this would be an ultra-cheap solution...

How does the locating the camera/illuminator work with a mobile phone ?

Most phone cameras have (at least residual) sensitivity in the infra-red, so if you wander around in the night with the camera on and see an illuminated area on the phone, but no illumination when looking with your eyes, then you've found an illuminator. Usually the illuminator and camera are co-located, so you've probably found a camera as well.

Point your phone camera at the IR nubbin on your tv remote and press a button.

Cool.

Well you learn something new every day. Now I can become a back street cat burgler !