House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Essay Writing Industry 'booms' As Students Demand Tailor-Made Coursework

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/29/essay-writing-industry-booms-as-students-demand-tailor-made-cour/

For most people, essay writing becomes a thing of the past as soon as they step out of university and prepare themselves for the world of work.

But for others, the dissertation is just the beginning. That is because it has become increasingly easy to make money out of the very thing students spend three or four years paying to do at university: coursework.

The essay writing industry - where a third party writes tailor-made pieces of work for paying students - is thriving. And as the briefest of online searches will show, there are now swathes of companies offering to help struggling undergraduates with their work in return for cash.

Ethically, there have long been doubts over the practice. But financially, there are fewer concerns than ever.

I wonder how much this is driven by students gaining access to large scale debt? If you are paying thousands of pounds to be successful you will want to ensure success?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/29/essay-writing-industry-booms-as-students-demand-tailor-made-cour/

I wonder how much this is driven by students gaining access to large scale debt? If you are paying thousands of pounds to be successful you will want to ensure success?

...success in a guaranteed outcome is hardly success.. ...when paid for it's corruption..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

As a side I've always wondered which universities produce the lowest I.Q. graduates.

The figures would be a handy ranking benchmark to use in order to assess their relative value as a piece of paper.

There seems to be a problem with foreign students. Now this might just be expectations (it might be that this sort of behaviour is more common overseas) - but I wonder if this is a problem with asymmetric risk - if a British student were found to have cheated they might have thrown away any chance of getting a degree - but an overseas student found cheating might just be able to return home without repercussions... they're not taking the same risks as a home student.

The joke is that it probably won't be too long before this kind of service becomes avialible via some automated AI driven app- at which point it will be impossible to control and you have the scenario faced by people in the world of sports- do you stay clean and lose?- or use artificial 'enhancements' and at least stand a chance of winning?

It is an interesting effect of the global nature of the internet.

Only a few years ago there would have been the same desire to cheat (notwithstanding the foreign student effect) but it was just too difficult to get in contact with the necessary expertise to create the essay. I suppose there might have been the odd older student, or maybe something sort-of organised local to the university, but all very low scale.

Then, with the internet, comes the ability to search for these providers, read reviews, compare prices - and with the knowledge that they're remote enough from the university that you'd be very unlucky to be found-out.

I'm not sure that there is much can be done.

I can well imagine that we'll see more formal examinations in the future, with perhaps more vivas where there is suspicion.

The main practical effect of government targets to increase the number of school leavers going to university has been a lowering of standards & an increase in the demand for "cheating" is symptomatic of that.

I have a relative studying engineering at a russell group uni where ~ 60% are foreign students. Apparently cheating is rife among the foreign students with the university turning a blind eye. He has witnessed PHD students doing project work, and even witnessed a foreign student get caught during an in class test with a copy of the exam paper already filled in with answers.

Money obviously comes above ethics.

They could introduce new loans to pay for course work. Good pieces should command a premium - £50,000.

This is the new economy.

Why is this still on the main forum ? what has this got to do with house`s or the economy ?

Anything to do with the most important vote in most people's lives is shipped of to a sub forum within minutes yet drvile like this thread stays ..i don't take a genius to work it out

Edited by long time lurking

Reminds me of the old joke:

A student comes to a young professor's office hours. She glances down the hall, closes his door, kneels pleadingly.

"I would do anything to pass this exam." She leans closer to him, flips back her hair, gazes meaningfully into his eyes. "I mean..." she whispers, "...I would do...anything."

He returns her gaze. "Anything?"

"Anything."

His voice softens. "Anything??"

"Absolutely anything."

His voice turns to a whisper. "Would you...study?

Why is this still on the main forum ? what has this got to do with house`s or the economy ?

Anything to do with the most important vote in most people's lives is shipped of to a sub forum within minutes yet drvile like this thread stays ..i don't take a genius to work it out

Tackle this and student numbers fall?? Do students not live in houses?

Easiest way to deal with this (and what most decent universities do) is have the majority of any degree based on examination papers. In these the internet won't save you and if you haven't done the work you won't get the grade.

Easiest way to deal with this (and what most decent universities do) is have the majority of any degree based on examination papers. In these the internet won't save you and if you haven't done the work you won't get the grade.

May I refer you to the post below... Yes its a WTF post but really WTF....

I have a relative studying engineering at a russell group uni where ~ 60% are foreign students. Apparently cheating is rife among the foreign students with the university turning a blind eye. He has witnessed PHD students doing project work, and even witnessed a foreign student get caught during an in class test with a copy of the exam paper already filled in with answers.

Money obviously comes above ethics.

Money obviously comes above ethics

The epitaph of our times. The delusional idea that all values are fungible with monetary values will be viewed by future generations as the defining fetish of the era- a freakish notion that has corrupted virtualy everything it touches.

Tackle this and student numbers fall?? Do students not live in houses?

Yet tackling an immigration crisis don`t seem that important to warrant a place on the main forum ...i take it they must all live in fields or something

The epitaph of our times. The delusional idea that all values are fungible with monetary values will be viewed by future generations as the defining fetish of the era- a freakish notion that has corrupted virtualy everything it touches.

I'd love to be that optimistic but there's no sign that it'll do anything other than get worse.