House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Employer On-Line Test's, Anecdotal.

My wife has been offered a new job and has technically already started it although it will be based in Amsterdam (Finland atm Monday - Thursday) anyway as it's a promotion she has to redo the on-line test's that she took before joining the company over two years ago, actually I did them on her behalf as she wasn't going to do them and the job offer would have lapsed. I tested in the top 21% and ranked as a 'Financial Controller'. I offered to do them again for her this evening but she was in a strop and declined. One more assessment and she is below average in all taken so far. She has 16 letters after her name (keeps reminding me) and I'm feeling quite smug now with my 11 g.c.s.e's

Caveat emptor.

Do you ever stop bragging?

Do you ever stop bragging?

I'm not bragging - just saying I'm good at doing on-line assessments and she isn't. It's a strength that I have and I have many weaknesses. I've just got a sms from her to say she's failed and that's a relief as I love our green and pleasant land and don't wish to be uprooted or our children taken overseas of which I'd have no say otherwise.

Wonder why they gave her the same set of tests again when she's reached senior management level?

When you've got that far you've already demonstrated that you have valuable transferable skills beyond the basic numeracy, literacy and psychology that entry level exams look for. Odd that they only test her after giving her the job too.

Something not right with this story :)

Wonder why they gave her the same set of tests again when she's reached senior management level?

When you've got that far you've already demonstrated that you have valuable transferable skills beyond the basic numeracy, literacy and psychology that entry level exams look for. Odd that they only test her after giving her the job too.

That something being the insane HR procedures that supplant proper candidate selection in badly run companies.

As I have mentioned before at one company when all the managers were subject to these tests the sales guys' scores were off the scale useless. So what, they were great at what they did meaning that the failure was in the tests.

That something being the insane HR procedures that supplant proper candidate selection in badly run companies.

As I have mentioned before at one company when all the managers were subject to these tests the sales guys' scores were off the scale useless. So what, they were great at what they did meaning that the failure was in the tests.

Company HR departments love to get staff to spend hours completing personal profiles, listing engagements and updating skills database. They then proceed to completely ignore this information when filling posts. I have lost count of the times I have seen contractors hired in at great cost to fill roles when the business already had people with the required skill set in place. It is a kind of institutionalized stupidity.

Company HR departments love to get staff to spend hours completing personal profiles, listing engagements and updating skills database. They then proceed to completely ignore this information when filling posts. I have lost count of the times I have seen contractors hired in at great cost to fill roles when the business already had people with the required skill set in place. It is a kind of institutionalized stupidity.

Though it does make you wonder if you made a mistake in not going for a job in HR; the only department where thoroughgoing incompetence and general uselessness are no bar to advancement.

I have worked with the occasional excellent HR person and they are like a breath of fresh air.

I'm not bragging - just saying I'm good at doing on-line assessments and she isn't. It's a strength that I have and I have many weaknesses. I've just got a sms from her to say she's failed and that's a relief as I love our green and pleasant land and don't wish to be uprooted or our children taken overseas of which I'd have no say otherwise.

Might be big concrete base demand there though, you never know.

No doubt. But what is in the OPs story is different to this. Even the most stupid HR departments don't get internal director level appointees to take entry level tests again.

What exactly is the OP getting at here? Is he saying is wife is no good at her job, because it is in fact him who is the brains of the operation? (that is what the caveat emptor line suggests). That has already been shown to be absurd as his wife has proven herself to have the neccesary skills.

Is it that HR tests are pointless? Could be, but then why the 'caveat emptor' (if they don't prove anything why the apparent pride in passing?).

Then apparently she's failed the tests, which means no promotion after all? (I.e. Kids won't be uprooted and no move to Amsterdam). So she's been removed from a director level post she already started because she failed an online entry level test? Are HR going to re-recruit? Now that's a ballache at that level.

I'll stick with my initial assessment, something odd about the whole story.

Company HR departments love to get staff to spend hours completing personal profiles, listing engagements and updating skills database.

Sometimes they do it themselves.

Once upon a long time ago, I was employed by a less-than-honest company supplying systems and software consultancy and outsourcing (so techie bums-on-seats like me were the product). They sent me for interview with a prospective client, who started to ask about something I had never encountered in my life. Turned out my boss (or some minion) had doctored my CV to match the job spec, turning it into something I didn't recognise!

After an embarrassing moment, Client and I had a bit of a laugh about it.

I am sure there are many that can pass the test but can't do the job

Indeed. It's more than a century since competitive examination was more than a small part/preliminary screen in any recruitment process in this country, and that was the Civil Service (which then had an empire to run).

and visa[sic] versa. ;)

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Testing serves a useful purpose to weed out the totally unsuitable.

Indeed. It's more than a century since competitive examination was more than a small part/preliminary screen in any recruitment process in this country, and that was the Civil Service (which then had an empire to run).

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Testing serves a useful purpose to weed out the totally unsuitable.

It's very telling that the CEOs of the banks that went so spectacularly bust in the credit crunch had never taken standard banking tests by the cib. There is indeed good reason for objective testing.

Oh no, NHS demand passing the same simple tests on transfers around different areas....on my test were all current medical staff, rejoiners and movers. Box ticking for the irresponsible ass coverers.

It's very telling that the CEOs of the banks that went so SD spectacularly bust in the credit crunch had never taken standard banking tests by the cib. There is indeed good reason for objective testing.

Not in my opinion.

The best MD I ever worked for would probably have failed any written test you care to name but knew the industry, knew people, and knew when to get involved and when not to interfere. It was profitable every year when he was there. He succeeded a clever but ineffectual MD who let people get away with murder, the losses were so big that the company had to be recapitalised.

For technical positions that require specific knowledge and general problem solving intelligence (finance & IT basically) such tests weed out the people who can't do the job (as opposed to telling you who can do it well) but in most other areas, and I include CEOs, they tell you diddly squat about how well the person will do the job and should not form part of the selection process because they will bias the selection against some ideal candidates.

I mentioned my old company's salesforce before; who were excellent in bringing in work and growing the business but spectacularly useless at these tests. Make these part of your sleection procedure and you will find your sales force manned by people like me who can pass any test but couldn't sell ice creams in the Sahara.