House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

New Top Gear, Any Good?

Since I can't watch it at a decent resolution here in the colonies until it hits iTunes, what does HPC think of it? My guess is that the beeb has made it all PC and feeble thereby alienating most of it's old fans but still has cars in it thereby not attracting any of the people who always did and always will hate it regardless of who is presenting. Am I right?

Two minutes and thirty seconds.

What a colossal t wat that man is.

I will now watch something that does not endanger my monitor.

A cliched Top Gun skit

An obnoxious oaf as "Star in a...whatever", was Gordon just there to make Chris look less objectionable?

A pointless challenge wrapped in some faux-patriotism.

...but I thought Matt LeBlanc's bit in the desert was watchable. He at least was putting some effort in.

I thought they did OK but I did find Chris Evans' voice irritating. Sometimes he was like Murray Walker on Helium.

Matt LeBlanc was less out of place than I expected. Beginnings of a bit of rapport between the tow of them. Not a great episode but I did watch it all through.

I found Gordon "look at the size of my Ferrari" Ramsey most in need of a bullet.

The vignettes were beautifully shot, and the musical soundtrack was superb. Unfortunately everything else was dire. The studio section was done as TFI Friday with cars thrown in, but the script (and challenge drama) was so laboured it was painful. I doubt I'll watch it again.

I enjoyed the Sabine ripping about in the Corvette and the Reliant trip, Leblanc has some good comic timing, but if it is just the two of them i expect a lot of punters will become bored of Chris Evans TFI Friday style pretty quick.

I was hoping the crowd would give Gordons LaFerrari the fingers, pity.

Watched on iplayer, there wasnt the content for 60mins, turned off after 30.

I lasted 5 mins. Can't stand Chris Evans at the best of times and even the credits consisted of him doing a poor Clarkson impersonation.

Son watched a bit of it, came down to tell us it was crap and that Matt was ok, but CE was shite.

Son watched a bit of it, came down to tell us it was crap and that Matt was ok, but CE was shite.

That was also the consensus of the comments in the Mail piece.

Drivel. Evans needs to go.

Totally pointless really. Everyone is just waiting for the 'proper' Top Gear with Clarkson etc.

I think the problem with this show is that although they have changed a bunch of things around, it's still fundamentally the same - same crew, writers concepts etc, so CE is trying to play at being Clarkson and failing miserably.

I do think CE is capable of hosting a motoring show well, but this isn't it - he would need to start with a completely blank slate and be more himself.

That was also the consensus of the comments in the Mail piece.

Actually, if you check that article now the comments have been manipulated by, I assume, a leftie with a few proxies and bots. The top comments are now in favour of it.

I found a website tracking these suspicious voting patterns if anyone is interested: http://www.fakegreenarrows.com/article/15 . Wish the DM would do something about it.

As for TG, didn't bother watching it after reading the reviews. Cannot stand Chris Evans and never could.

Actually, if you check that article now the comments have been manipulated by, I assume, a leftie with a few proxies and bots. The top comments are now in favour of it.

I found a website tracking these suspicious voting patterns if anyone is interested: http://www.fakegreenarrows.com/article/15 . Wish the DM would do something about it.

As for TG, didn't bother watching it after reading the reviews. Cannot stand Chris Evans and never could.

I also noticed that but it's only the top two comments.

Chris Evans actually annoys me when he's on, far beyond Graham Norton at his most annoying (most of the time I like Graham Norton, or Father Noel Furlong as I always think of him, but sometimes he goes well over the top).

Chris Evans is like the kid at school that nobody ever wanted to sit next to because you know he will steal your stuff and deliberately wind you up all day because he is just a horrible human being.

I did wonder if he would tone it down for this one and become just about tolerable but: no. I may try to watch it again in a few weeks when the memory has faded somewhat; but I expect nothing different.

He must have something on BBC bosses for him to be in perpetual employment, and to secure Terry Wogan's old job on the most listened to radio slot in the UK. Bizarrelly, his listening audience has apparently increased since Wogan left.

One of life's mysteries is why millions tune in to that shouty, childish idiot at 7AM. Can't think of much worse.

He must have something on BBC bosses for him to be in perpetual employment, and to secure Terry Wogan's old job on the most listened to radio slot in the UK. Bizarrelly, his listening audience has apparently increased since Wogan left.

One of life's mysteries is why millions tune in to that shouty, childish idiot at 7AM. Can't think of much worse.

They're probably all those elusive Bradford postal voters.

The sample size is incredibly small AFAIK. I participated in some BARB research several years ago so I know it happens, just with a small sample size.

Radio 2 has the musical middle ground all to itself as Radio 1 became unlistenable years ago. For many people it's the least worst option when driving to work if you don't like classical music.

Will not watch it as that d*ckhead Chris Evans is in it. Loathe the pr*ck.

I like Matt Le Blanc as I think he is a good actor with very good comic timing. Would love to see some of his stuff but I refuse to watch anything with Chris Evans in it.

I watched it for the schadenfreude, haven't seen an episode since the 90s as not a fan of BBC in general. I was a bit surprised there was no serious section where they reviewed new cars, which is what I remembered from the past - surely there is a demand for that? The whole thing just seemed to be banter. As others have said Chris Evans was an irritating try hard but Le Blank was better than I expected with his deadpan manner and zero effort false enthusiasm.

As it is basically a heavily scripted show (which sometimes pretends not to be) Matt LeBlanc, being a very good actor, is comfortable with this and as TMT says has very good comic timing.

Chris is from the DJ background, one of those guys who can talk all the time and fill in the gaps on radio. I'm not sure if working from a script is something he is comfortable with.

Having said that the three ex presenters were not actors but just were themselves, maybe they put a lot of their own ad lib bits in.