House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

What Do Eastern Europeans Think About Brexit?

I know there are a few people of E European descent or know a few Poles or whatever on this forum. I was wondering does anyone know or asked any of them what their feelings are on the EU Referendum? Are they bothered? Scared? What?

edit: specifically Eastern Europeans who live in the UK i.e. came over after A8 ascension or those who want to move to the UK

Had a Brexit chat with a polish guy I play football with. Been living here for 8 years, very anti islam. We agreed that Britain and Poland are culturally similar and the immigration issue is a serious problem. He would vote to leave.

I know two polish lads both have been here 10+ years settled with children they both said they would vote to leave ,they both said they feel bad about it as they would be denying others the same opportunity they had ,but as tradesmen they need to earn a wage capable of supporting a family in the UK they can basically see and are suffering from the wage suppression that everyone else is experiencing,

But the most interesting thing they said was if Poland had a referendum they would also vote to leave, immigration is a major issue for the poles and i did not get the impressions it`s born from a economic point of view when it came to Poland

The comments on youtube (brexit the movie) are a bit of an eye opener ,there`s loads from people from other EU countries saying get the feck out i wish i had a chance to vote to leave in my country

But the most interesting thing they said was if Poland had a referendum they would also vote to leave, immigration is a major issue for the poles and i did not get the impressions it`s born from a economic point of view when it came to Poland

The RT reported something very similar a couple of days ago.. They reckoned something like 40% want to leave but their government won't even entertain the idea of a Pexit referendum.

The foreign minister said the government would not move forward with a 'Polexig' and that no respectable political force would do that. The idea however is not that foreign. A resent opinion poll published in the Polish media said almost 40 percent “could consider” leaving the EU.

The East European countries were very keen to join up. I guess it looked better than being in the Soviet Union. :o

In my experience, most immigrants don't want other immigrants coming in - and often hold much far less tolerant views of other races etc than the average Brit. My missus, an immigrant herself, is the same. Is it hypocritical? Of course, it is - but most of us are on some level.

In my experience, most immigrants don't want other immigrants coming in - and often hold much far less tolerant views of other races etc than the average Brit. My missus, an immigrant herself, is the same. Is it hypocritical? Of course, it is - but most of us are on some level.

My experience has been similar, although I have found that French/Germans tend to have the BBC viewpoint.

It's common sense to protect what you see as good for you.

The most bizarre things I've heard from bremain people is "well we can have another vote if we change our minds in the future" and "we can negotiate to make it better"

It would have been interesting to do a straw poll at the car boot yesterday.

2nd generation immigrants are notorious for their anti immigration feelings.

As others have said - its simple self preservation.

I have had great benefits from being an immigrant = I don't want others spoiling it.

It seems to be immigrants who come here to work hard and earn money strongly object to other immigrants who come just to live off various benefits.

Which I fully understand and in which I see zero hypocrisy.

It seems to be immigrants who come here to work hard and earn money strongly object to other immigrants who come just to live off various benefits.

Nope - even those that work generally don't want more immigration imo.

For obvious reasons.

Nope - even those that work generally don't want more immigration imo.

For obvious reasons.

I won't argue the point as I don't see how it can be answered.

I think the reasons are mixed.

longtimelurking's earlier post also provides another answer i.e. some Eastern Europeans realise they are contributing to wage suppression and now that they are here and trying to raise a family they don't want more immigrants - hard working or not. That would be hypocrisy in my view.

I'd also suggest that racism comes into play i.e. they don't mind other immigrants of the same race/country of origin/religious belief but are suspicious of those who are not like themselves. This would also be hypocrisy.

Brexit is pretty unemotional.

Try asking an African immigrant what they think about Somalis.

I've seen placid Nigerians (Igbo) go into NF type rants. I actually agree - Somalis appear to take the worse attributes of the worst traits to extremes ,- unemployable, ungrateful, large families, pro Islam terrorist.

Brexit is pretty unemotional.

Try asking an African immigrant what they think about Somalis.

I've seen placid Nigerians (Igbo) go into NF type rants. I actually agree - Somalis appear to take the worse attributes of the worst traits to extremes ,- unemployable, ungrateful, large families, pro Islam terrorist.

It does seem to be cultural with Somalis; there is a huge and resolutely idle population of them in Bristol.

I don't recall immigrants from any other particular African country being singled out for criticism in this way.

It does seem to be cultural with Somalis; there is a huge and resolutely idle population of them in Bristol.

I don't recall immigrants from any other particular African country being singled out for criticism in this way.

Bristol's one liven up when they are murdering one another or a dosser in the park. I had to intervene once when a bunch of Somalis teens were minutes away from kicking a tramp to death. Yes they were Somali, you can tell.

Even hypocricy is understandable. On a much more minor note I don't like places I go on holiday being full of tourists. Arguably just as hypocratic, but probably common. IMO the test would be if someone would like to go and live in another country but that country won't let him - their reaction to that really indicates what they're like.

Not Eastern European but my wife is Iranian (by origin) and amazed at what we let in.

She would.

She'll see them as various hues of Brown and be aware of the load of scum that exists across North Africa/Med.

Mr Average UK just sees them all as Brown.

The thing is the last ones in generally are the ones who want to close the gate behind them....they have the most to lose from more immigration, more competition for them......the big corporates, rich people that want cheap builders, nannies, cleaners, carers do well from ever falling cheap ever willing supply of labour..... ;)