House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Feeling Lavatorial

Not having been in a position where we have needed/wanted to change our toilet facilities, for as long as we have had our home, it is possible that some changes in toilet standards have passed me by.....

Lately, having visited various people in new homes and/or had new 'facilities' installed, I cannot fail to have noticed that the flush of modern toilets, of all shapes and sizes, often seem incapable of disposing in one flush of ones errrrr....solid business.

Nothing more embarrassing than having to make the sound of repeated flushes for ones hosts to hear (also much easier to do these days given the appalling sound insulation of new builds).

Is this my imagination or have I developed some condition that results in me producing much bigger dumps than I used to?

By comparison the toliets I see at most business sites are literally industrial in strength, and seem to discharge half a resevoir of water to do their job - and very effectively too.

I think it's bad manners to sh*t in someone else's home. You should save it up until you get home.

Actually I sort of agree with you on that, but.......sometimes you just gotta go - regardless of where you may be.

I think it's bad manners to sh*t in someone else's home. You should save it up until you get home.

LOL

Yes.

Please take your poop home with you.

It is environmentally friendly to use less water to flush which won't help. Driven by metering and building regs on water use.

Next time you should chop it up with your fingers before flushing.

i) Style over function - close coupled, low head of water. Also not designed to flush cleanly, just look good.

ii) Water saving - dual flush and smaller cisterns generally with/wihtout dual flush- this will have followed the general shrinkage in house sizes too - the most popular models being those that will fit the tighest of spaces.

Always check inside the cistern to check if they've put a housebrick or something in there to save water, or be 'green'.

Reduced water volume = weak flush = persistent floater...

Always check inside the cistern to check if they've put a housebrick or something in there to save water, or be 'green'.

Reduced water volume = weak flush = persistent floater...

And then pass on the advice after your visit to their toilet?

Depends if they unwittingly invite you round at a time of day when there's a scheduling conflict.

I often get an inexplicable urge to go when visiting new places, I think it's some sort of atavistic territory marking thing going on.

Dual flush?

Yes I am aware of these. My point is that the full flush is inadequate to dispose of a 'hearty load'.

The half flush also sometimes seems to me to be barely adequate to dispose of ripe and richly coloured sizeable bladder dump too.

I'm inclined to agree with one of the other repliers that the designs do not use the new eco-friendly reduced water loads as effficiently as possible. OR, similar to the stupid EU regs on limiting power of vaccum cleaners, it's a false economy as users will in effect end up making multiple flushes so often as to end up using more water than they would have with older style larger cistern loos.

Is a high level chain pull still available? All change is not progress. There should really be a "sh1t" sub forum. :huh:

This is similar to those water saving gromit thingies that are put in shower heads - you spend twice as long showering as the pressure is pish.

So end up using the same/more as a normal shower head.

Don't get me started on electric showers...