House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

I Have Made Mr Toad Homeless :-(

Had a couple of wooden tubs by the front door, long overdue for re-planting, but they were old and beginning to fall to bits, so they had to go. Were just moving one to the back when it did fall apart, so we were extracting the plastic liner full of very dry compost when we saw something moving - a huge fat - almost spherical - toad who'd evidently been living there and hoovering up all the wigglies. Took him to a shady bit of the back garden, where I used to have a clay Toad Hole in a dark corner, but it's broken. I hope he's found another hidey hole. Also hope he likes slugs! Plenty of the little buggers around at the moment.

Must be 10 years ago now, but it's the 2nd time we've found a very fat toad in same circs.

You are lucky to find a toad. They seem quite rare. I could do with some in my garden.

You are lucky to find a toad. They seem quite rare. I could do with some in my garden.

You can have a word with the vivid copper-coloured little chap in my garage.

Yes, I am always very disappointed to find that I have disturbed them. There's something entirely inoffensive about them, like hedgehogs.

Yes, I am always very disappointed to find that I have disturbed them. There's something entirely inoffensive about them, like hedgehogs.

I want to see hedgehogs too. There is no wildlife around here.

I am now wondering how he managed to get into the tub in the first place! It was at least a foot tall. Can they climb? There is a lot of ivy on the wall right behind the tub, so I suppose that might have helped, but you don't somehow think of toads climbing, just scrambling over things.

Had a couple of wooden tubs by the front door, long overdue for re-planting, but they were old and beginning to fall to bits, so they had to go. Were just moving one to the back when it did fall apart, so we were extracting the plastic liner full of very dry compost when we saw something moving - a huge fat - almost spherical - toad who'd evidently been living there and hoovering up all the wigglies. Took him to a shady bit of the back garden, where I used to have a clay Toad Hole in a dark corner, but it's broken. I hope he's found another hidey hole. Also hope he likes slugs! Plenty of the little buggers around at the moment.

Must be 10 years ago now, but it's the 2nd time we've found a very fat toad in same circs.

A couple of years ago I found several toads in my back garden. Mostly it was when I was digging things up (like a garage) and moving accumulated garden rubbish. Haven't seen one in years now :( I'm purposely making more of a compost/rubbish heap behind the trees to try and attract critters who like moist dark holes.

A few weeks back I looked out and saw the rabbits (we have 2 dwarfs) looking nervously towards the trees so I went out to see if there was a cat lurking. Couldn't see anything but sat with them a little while. Something started to make a racket as it climbed down the small slope covered in dry beach leaves, it was a fat little hedgehog :) Such an adorable little thing, must have been after the slugs that go for the grass clippings I've started to deposit near there.

I didn't think toads hopped. They are too dignified (and large). Frogs hop.

My neighbour likes perfect lawn stripes and cuts his grass obsessively. No insects, butterflies or bees on his lawn.

I let mine grow and I have loads of the above using the daisies, buttercups and other wild flowers.

My neighbour likes perfect lawn stripes and cuts his grass obsessively. No insects, butterflies or bees on his lawn.

I let mine grow and I have loads of the above using the daisies, buttercups and other wild flowers.

We have one like that, obsessive - always doing something to it, though to be fair it does look like a perfect green carpet.

When our kids were young and into the Mr Men books they christened him Mr Fussy, and he's been Mr Fussy ever since.

Our back 'lawn' is full of so many daisies, buttercups, dandelions, violets, and masses of others I don't know the names of, that I don't call it a lawn any more. It is now a (very small) wildflower meadow. :-)

Front lawn is mostly moss, but at least it's usually green.

My 90 year old neighbours are trying to get the NHS or council to pay for their garden to be done as one of them is now sick.. The problem is that they`ve got hedges everywhere and they expect taxpayers money to cover !

They should have thought of this before.

My 90 year old neighbours are trying to get the NHS or council to pay for their garden to be done as one of them is now sick.. The problem is that they`ve got hedges everywhere and they expect taxpayers money to cover !

They can do my gardening. After four years of neglect, I need extreme gardening.

You can have a word with the vivid copper-coloured little chap in my garage.

Is it Ammonia Man?

Well Mr Pin...

I`ve got a strimmer which I bought from a car boot sale (dead mans kit) for £1.

Does the job...

Agent Orange for me! I applaud your thrift, worthy of HPC OT.

I never have seen toads, just frogs. :blink:

We have one like that, obsessive - always doing something to it, though to be fair it does look like a perfect green carpet.

When our kids were young and into the Mr Men books they christened him Mr Fussy, and he's been Mr Fussy ever since.

Our back 'lawn' is full of so many daisies, buttercups, dandelions, violets, and masses of others I don't know the names of, that I don't call it a lawn any more. It is now a (very small) wildflower meadow. :-)

Front lawn is mostly moss, but at least it's usually green.

Too much ladygarden info.

Don't they have a hedge fund?

I used to live next door to a policeman who every Sunday would spend hours washing and polishing his car. He even used to unscrew the number plates so he could clean behind.

did he ever complain about inconsiderates with shopping trolleys ?

Really. Where I live the first deluge of spring results in literally millions of them appearing hopping down the drive. You can't actually drive anywhere without slaughtering hundreds. And our back door appears to be on some primeval migration path whereby they attempt to go wherever they are going to via the entrance.

God only punishes the wicked with a plague of toads.