House Price Crash Forum

New $1Bn Cruise Liner, Sales Like A Floating Building Site

200p

HOLA441

e

I have a theory that most* people don't actually like holidays very much.

People go to places where they don't know anyone, where the food is challenging and where you're likely to have a whole new microflora introduced to your gut, where a decent proportion of the people around want to attack/rob/grope you, where the weather is continuously slightly uncomfortable and where you have to suffer hours stuffed into a cramped tube to get there.

However, everyone understands that they should enjoy being on holiday, so force themselves to believe that they're happy. Often this cognitive dissonance results in people being slightly edgy or stressed for the majority of the holiday.

Then they go back to work happy to be back in a familiar environment - and where they can bore their colleagues about how great their holiday was.

[* some people like holidays. I'd guess about 10% of the population, from analysis of the people around me when on holidays (which I didn't enjoy)]

Interesting thought.

HOLA442
Guest TheBlueCat

I love holidays. I shall be the exception that proves the rule.

Me too, although it needs to be a certain type. I can't stand the 'going somewhere to sit on a beach and get pissed' type but I really like going places I haven't been before and travelling around.

HOLA443

Me too, although it needs to be a certain type. I can't stand the 'going somewhere to sit on a beach and get pissed' type but I really like going places I haven't been before and travelling around.

Hull? Doncaster? Bridgwater?

HOLA444
Guest TheBlueCat

Hull? Doncaster? Bridgwater?

I have been to all three! Although clearly not for holiday purposes.

The best travelling about the place type holiday I've had in the last few years was a road trip through the southern US ending up in Memphis. Absolutely fascinating.

HOLA445

I would be worried about wanting to jump off a cruise ship.

Many years ago I was going on the Weymouth to St. Malo ferry on a gorgeous summer evening. It was moonlit. The sea calm and flat. It was warm even in the middle of the night. I recall looking over the side of the ship and getting this tremendous urge to jump into the water.

HOLA446

Many years ago I was going on the Weymouth to St. Malo ferry on a gorgeous summer evening. It was moonlit. The sea calm and flat. It was warm even in the middle of the night. I recall looking over the side of the ship and getting this tremendous urge to jump into the water.

You have sailed the exotic waters of Weymouth? Did you need a parrot, and a telescope? :huh:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Not for the first time I wonder if the human race is descended from lemmings..

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest TheBlueCat

Not for the first time I wonder if the human race is descended from lemmings..

The most appealing theory I've heard about the urge to jump is that it comes from our times living in trees when the ability and desire to leap across scary drops was a major survival advantage.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You definitely want to jump into the sea when it's warm and inviting; I thought everybody did.

The trick is not to do it.

I disagree my friend.

I have swam in the freezing-cold and very un-inviting North Sea since I was a child, and regard this as one of the reasons I have the constitution of an ox.

The beach of choice when I were a lad was where the entire sewage output of 1970s Hartlepool hit the water about 20 yards out from the low-tide mark.

Swimming among johnnies, turds and jam-rags fine-tuned my immune-system to such a degree that super-viruses are actually afraid of me.

For your body to be able to fight disease, you need to give it something to practice on.

Squirty-bottles full of Dettol Anti-bac and Cillit "Bang" are most certainly not the answer...

;)

XYY

HOLA4414

I went to an 'open day' on a cruise ship in Southampton once to see what the fuss was about. Not for me for several reasons:

- a surprising lack of outside, deck space. It really would feel like being locked in a hotel

- lots of talk about appropriate dress for different areas in the ship at different times. Far too much class consciousness for my taste

- Southampton docks were miles away from the town, and I imagine it's the same wherever you dock. Would spend far too much time and money on taxis getting to the sights

- interior rooms were just boxes with (obviously) no natural light. Depressing to spend any time in.

- full of boasting boomers. Would drive me mad!

And then there's the norovirus risk.

Moan, moan, moan. You'd be no fun if we were trapped in sea ice and had to decide which husky to eat.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived