House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

New $1Bn Cruise Liner, Sales Like A Floating Building Site

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14521075.Overflowing_urinals_and_shattered_glass__Harmony_of_the_Seas__like_a_construction_site_/?ref=ar

THE world's biggest cruise ship is "like a construction site" and poses numerous safety risks, according to some of its first paying customers.

Overflowing urinals and shattered glass are among the complaints lodged by angry passengers on Harmony of the Seas.

Operator Royal Caribbean said "finishing touches" were being made to the $1bn (£784m) ship, which first left Southampton last week.

Other complaints included broken toilets, late-night construction work and a lack of baby food despite charging £140 a night for a nine-month-old.

Lol

A boat worth missing then

"sails like" - although maybe its a Freudian slip. A parallel to land new build flats hey ho

Cruises sound terrible things. That norovirus on a cruise seems like Russian roulette then so many storied of cruises where the ships are a wreck.

But a friend of mine has been going on cruises for years with his wife and has never had a problem. They love them.

Cruises sound terrible things. That norovirus on a cruise seems like Russian roulette then so many storied of cruises where the ships are a wreck.

But a friend of mine has been going on cruises for years with his wife and has never had a problem. They love them.

Surely all you will end up doing is eating and drinking. I wwould end up +20lbs

A ship with no cannons is not worth sailing on. :huh: Especially when dealing with the French/Spanish/Dutch/Portuguese/Norwegians and anyone else not flying the Union Flag.

e

I have a theory that most* people don't actually like holidays very much.

People go to places where they don't know anyone, where the food is challenging and where you're likely to have a whole new microflora introduced to your gut, where a decent proportion of the people around want to attack/rob/grope you, where the weather is continuously slightly uncomfortable and where you have to suffer hours stuffed into a cramped tube to get there.

However, everyone understands that they should enjoy being on holiday, so force themselves to believe that they're happy. Often this cognitive dissonance results in people being slightly edgy or stressed for the majority of the holiday.

Then they go back to work happy to be back in a familiar environment - and where they can bore their colleagues about how great their holiday was.

[* some people like holidays. I'd guess about 10% of the population, from analysis of the people around me when on holidays (which I didn't enjoy)]

It is a two-stroke? :blink:

I watched it as it went past my house after leaving Southampton. It was very smokey compared to other vessels but I put that down to being new and burning all the wd40 off the new exhausts. I smelt lovely.

I watched it as it went past my house after leaving Southampton. It was very smokey compared to other vessels but I put that down to being new and burning all the wd40 off the new exhausts. I smelt lovely.

It's always a pleasure to be covered in soot!

e

People go to places where they don't know anyone, where the food is challenging and where you're likely to have a whole new microflora introduced to your gut, where a decent proportion of the people around want to attack/rob/grope you, where the weather is continuously slightly uncomfortable and where you have to suffer hours stuffed into a cramped tube to get there.

However, everyone understands that they should enjoy being on holiday, so force themselves to believe that they're happy. Often this cognitive dissonance results in people being slightly edgy or stressed for the majority of the holiday.

Then they go back to work happy to be back in a familiar environment - and where they can bore their colleagues about how great their holiday was.

[* some people like holidays. I'd guess about 10% of the population, from analysis of the people around me when on holidays (which I didn't enjoy)]

I think that's pretty accurate, and also explains why people buy holiday homes and go back to them every year rather than going to different places each time. I'm in the 10% myself, but only for a certain type of holiday and certainly not cruises the thought of which fills me with existential dread.

I never go on holiday! I just have cheese sandwiches and beer just here. Holidays are a waste of money.

You'd think so, but apparently they're all 4-stroke.

On the contrary, it's almost certainly a direct injection poppet valve two stroke. They're very different to a petrol two stroke motorbike engine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_diesel_engine

Edit: I am wrong in fact, they're Wartsila 16V46 medium speed engines rather than the huge low speed engines they use in container ships.

e

I think there's a lot of truth in this, but the 'colleagues' point is an important one. People don't like holidays, but they do like telling people about where they've been and what they did. They think it makes them interesting and conveys status due to the fact they can afford to go to those places and do those things. And in these days of social media being seen to be living a life of wealth and excitement even when you aren't is, for some, absolutely crucial.

It's why one of the things that is almost ubiquitous on girls' dating profiles is 'travelling'. "I like travelling", "I always have my bags packed!", "This is me in Iceland/Morocco/Egypt/Australia etc etc etc".

The same could be true of mens' profiles too, I wonder? I don't spend a lot of time looking at those.

I love holidays. I shall be the exception that proves the rule.

I have the view that foreign holidays / travelling are good for me. If all I want to do is relax then there's nowhere better than at home in the summer, but if I want to experience something new and build some memories to look back on then a trip away it is.

This year, the first time for many years, I'm holidaying at home as all I want to do is walk and relax.

I liked the one cruise I've been on, like a travelling Butlins with excursions and I loved being out at sea.

How much for taking a baby? It's insane as is anyone who pays that much.

it's a good deal if you can send the baby on the cruise, and the parents can thus get away on a quiet camping holiday without the sprog.

e

People should find something they like doing in their spare time. The need for a holiday evaporates when you can spend several hours a week doing something that brings you great pleasure.

People should find something they like doing in their spare time. The need for a holiday evaporates when you can spend several hours a week doing something that brings you great pleasure.

It can get sore after a few days.

It can get sore after a few days.

Try investing in some shaving oil in addition to the soap and remember to regularly change the blade as a blunt one can drag and irritate, causing this soreness.

Never been tempted by a cruise, although that may be my aversion to spending cash. Also, wouldn't everyone get seasick if the boat travelled through a storm?

Never been tempted by a cruise, although that may be my aversion to spending cash. Also, wouldn't everyone get seasick if the boat travelled through a storm?

So many people that I knew loved going on them that I thought i had to give a try. I'm not a total convert but I enjoyed it and will go again sometime; though two weeks would be my limit.

I went to an 'open day' on a cruise ship in Southampton once to see what the fuss was about. Not for me for several reasons:

- a surprising lack of outside, deck space. It really would feel like being locked in a hotel

- lots of talk about appropriate dress for different areas in the ship at different times. Far too much class consciousness for my taste

- Southampton docks were miles away from the town, and I imagine it's the same wherever you dock. Would spend far too much time and money on taxis getting to the sights

- interior rooms were just boxes with (obviously) no natural light. Depressing to spend any time in.

- full of boasting boomers. Would drive me mad!

And then there's the norovirus risk.