House Price Crash Forum

OK, which of you is Will Self in real life?

8:50 pm. An eloquent HPCer[1] given an uninterrupted ten-minute slot on Radio 4, to put a proposition that's only partially over-the-top and designed to provoke thought.

[1] Lots of themes we're very familiar with, and he expresses them better than is customary here.

OK, which of you is Will Self in real life?

8:50 pm. An eloquent HPCer[1] given an uninterrupted ten-minute slot on Radio 4, to put a proposition that's only partially over-the-top and designed to provoke thought.

[1] Lots of themes we're very familiar with, and he expresses them better than is customary here.

What show, I'd like to look it up on Iplayer

What show, I'd like to look it up on Iplayer

I think it's this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07c59lt

I Gave It All Away
Listen in pop-out player

Will Self argues that instead of holding onto money until old age, we should give children their inheritance when they're most in need of it.

"Forget the old right/left, rich/poor division" he says,"nowadays the greatest divergence lies between the old and the young".

And he asks how can we in conscience go on denying the young the opportunity to clear up the mess we've ? for the most part quite inadvertently ? created for them. "Give it all away!" is his plea.

Producer: Adele Armstrong.

(It was in the schedule for 8:50 on radio 4. Haven't listened yet.

It is HPC friendly if boomer parents downsize en masse.

I don't really understand the logic of that claim.

If parents living with children in a single property sell up and buy two properties then it will potentially increase the demand for homes in the market as it simply means more households. It would give some young people access to property but I don't see it tanking the housing market unless one or other parties involved in the split decides to emigrate. Instead, it would pitch downsizing homeowners against those buyers at the bottom end of the market who are not fortunate enough to have the proceeds of the sales of larger properties to fund them It also makes the rather large presumption that all older people have substantial inheritances to pass on when many do not. It is indicative of BBC mentality that they run this sort of program which presumably they think will be of interest to the middle class London and SE property owners with priced out kids who make up their listening audience.

Edited by stormymonday_2011