House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stuckin2up2down

In The End The Tenants Are Going To Suffer

Sorry if this is old news, but landlords meeting in a 5 star hotel saying how wrong the government is. One guy says he's doing an essential service that people like nurses and teachers rely on and has 7 of them in one house.

Another saying tenants want to just go out and have fun and not own.

Then the last saying tenants will be the ones to suffer.

It did only have 25 views but i've watched it three times. Can't believe it is real. Its almost hunger games like.#

Share the video on facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/Life-out-of-balance-248070332226378/

Edit: updated to a version with captions

Edited by stuckin2up2down

Sorry if this is old news, but landlords meeting in a 5 star hotel saying how wrong the government is. One guy says he's doing an essential service that people like nurses and teachers rely on and has 7 of them in one house.

That's a great find. The cretins are beyond parody really. Leveraging into the HMO game, then dressing up for a black tie dinner and being filmed explaining how they reckon they can stick the tax changes on their tenants. Outstanding work from the leveraged landlords. :rolleyes:

That's a great find. The cretins are beyond parody really. Leveraging into the HMO game, then dressing up for a black tie dinner and being filmed explaining how they reckon they can stick the tax changes on their tenants. Outstanding work from the leveraged landlords. :rolleyes:

Yes, and it seems the filming is done after the dinner, I'd say. I really think seeing someone in a bow tie saying how they have 7 primary teachers in one house is going to make a connection as a humble service provider.

It did only have 25 views but i've watched it three times. Can't believe it is real. Its almost hunger games like.

what a bloody stupid question.

OF COURSE they understand the needs of tennants.

in fact, they want as many tennants as possible., they just want a few people owning everything, while everybody else has to rent.

just like the old days of feudal dukedom/serfdom.

One guy says he's doing an essential service that people like nurses and teachers rely on and has 7 of them in one house.

Jesus what a bunch of utter A-holes, 7 full time professional workers sardined into one house and it's fine, because they don't need any space, they just want to have fun and make friends. What's quite amusing is the lady hasn't joined the dots together, it's not owning houses that stops people from making friends and having a social Iife. It's a deporable attitude towards other people that isn't very endearing!

George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language," 1946

...Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness.

...The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims.

Consider for instance some comfortable English professor defending Russian totalitarianism. He cannot say outright, "I believe in killing off your opponents when you can get good results by doing so."

Probably, therefore, he will say something like this:

"While freely conceding that the Soviet regime exhibits certain features which the humanitarian may be inclined to deplore, we must, I think, agree that a certain curtailment of the right to political opposition is an unavoidable concomitant of transitional periods, and that the rigors which the Russian people have been called upon to undergo have been amply justified in the sphere of concrete achievement."

When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms ...... . In our age there is no such thing as "keeping out of politics." All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. When the general atmosphere is bad, language must suffer.

But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.

Protecting tenants from suffering.

They're simply trying to twist it to protect their own BTL positions.

No chance of, "Don't change tax-relief on all my multiple claims via BTL on loads of homes, because it puts at risk my greedy debt-fuelled high risk strategy, and could mean I need to sell - and who to with BTLers scared off from S.24 and SDLT hike on BTLers - to renters at lower prices who would become homeowners."

'Generation Rent. Helping young people who otherwise can't afford mortgages, and where will they go if landlords sell? ' Twist twist twist.

Edited by Venger

Deserves to go viral - for all of the wrong reasons. A bunch of landlords expressing concern for, and claiming they know the motivations of tenants - while squeezing 7 teachers into a house (and claiming to operate at the top end of the market). All while chowing down at some s*****y dinner.

Beyond parody.

They are right in one sense though. The Govt. has no idea about the needs of tenants or rather it likely does - but successive ones have chosen to ignore them as they are on the side of the landlords.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Hahaha, really made me laugh, +1

Yes - me too. :)

The tenants will just pass the extra costs onto their employers.

Someone could use that on Twitter (and give a h/t to billybong if enough space) - in reply vs whoever is running the #TenantTax misinformation/scare campaign on there.

Seems to me it's been one of their main positions - and similar for all the BTLers on forums... even one major BTL who gives press interviews and holds the same position. (Landlords' higher costs get past onto tenants) Of course they only have best interests of in mind. :rolleyes:

MQ9GujnL.jpg

-click to expand-

The language.... landlords persecuted. Trying to defend their claims on rental property, and get their tax relief advantages back, which otherwise may see some BTLers in a difficult financial situation and sell to whoever is left in the market to buy the homes.

what a bloody stupid question.

OF COURSE they understand the needs of tennants.

in fact, they want as many tennants as possible., they just want a few people owning everything, while everybody else has to rent.

just like the old days of feudal dukedom/serfdom.

They don't sound like Dukes, cannon fodder more like.

They don't sound like Dukes, cannon fodder more like.

Dukes?

Bunch of tw@ts.

LL are price takers not makers.

Greedy landlords capitalising on high immigration....packing people in......fewer and fewer people will ever be able to buy independently they will be slaves to those that can and will exploit the situation, and at the same time removing stock from the market to buy for everyone else.

Akabusi will learn the hard way.

He doesn't realise it's not about competing with his own mind as it was when he was a top athlete.

Edited by Killer Bunny

Some senior professionals in sharing a BTLers house.

And BTLers with multiple homes, including family homes rented out, and in many instances have their own high value homes, in part because of the MEW higher price, MEW buy at higher price, tax relief, IO party party core-voterness.

I could link to a couple of those BTLers own homes Rightmove (although one is SoldSTC at something over £700K from a BTLer who fears future of market), of some early stage BTLers trying to exit market - but not going to on this thread.

Landlordism: The real problem is the society we have created that normalises, excuses and even celebrates this particular brand of antisocial behaviour. Its likely they've never been called out for the harm they are causing, and would be shocked if they were.

Then the sooner they get hurt the better, although whether they'll learn anything or not is another question. Whilst I agree that there's been a massive failure to educate the solution to that isn't to shield people from the consequences of their actions, it's to either remove them from society altogether or let them learn the hard way, and if enough do the message might sink through to the rest.

No, this isn't how landlording works at all. Landlords don't provide a service, they don't provide anything.

Landlords threaten eviction and then charge money to stop.

If the landlord vanished the land would remain. The rent would not.

In reply to a BTLer who came to HPC, who has loads of properties... although been fretting about CGT last year, and apparently gone into tax-exile abroad.

You are the UK housing crisis.

The main reason people can't afford homes, is the extra demand from 5 million landlords who occupy something like 1 in 5 houses.

Demand for rental accommodation is created by landlords when they outbid owner occupiers, because every time a landlord buys a house they create a tenant.

You can possibly think that a shortage of housing is what forces people to rent houses, can you!?!

Landlords don't provide a supply to meet a demand, they transform homeowners into renters so they can extract a tax.

A completely false comparison.

Every time a landlord buys a house, they outbid a prospective owner occupier. Every time they outbid a prospective owner occupier they create a prospective tenant.

For the most part, landlords are creating the demand they pretend to service. They provide nothing to the tenant that the tenant would not have had without them.

Yes, there probably is a residual, natural demand, but it would almost certainly be tiny. Holiday lets and student accommodation would probably still exist in a free-market.

Most people who rent do so because they can't afford to buy, not because they don't want to, and they can't afford to buy because landlords are hogging all the houses.

It is utterly specious to try and compare the rent-seeking activities of landlords with the productive service sector industries - entertainment, transport and so on.

The ONLY reasons they are priced IN and tenants priced OUT is the tax advantage these guys have in making their purchases and that regulations on their borrowings have been allowed to be much more lax than the competing OOs.

unfair lending practice is the problem...as always.

The tax advantage is being removed, the mortgages are soon to be better regulated.

The LL arbitrage is soon to disappear.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Really good work stuckin2up2down - hehe. Great stuff.

'In a 5 Star London Hotel Landlords Dress-up Meet - to discuss how unfair their life is'

+ all the rest.

The background music seems a bit trippy-mind-bending stuff with it - to go along with their landlord-think.

'Mr Osborne and the rest of the gang'. It's funny how so many BTLers/Landlords taking first interest in politics. Seen it so frequently on the BTL forums.

Elsewhere, not on forum, I've pointed out how there has been a run of posts from different BTLers on the BTL forums, with them irate about the changes, and so many of these types of posts appearing on their different threads... "I was never interested in politics before C.24." often continuing in this way... 'but now I'm going to do everything possible to try and thwart Osborne becoming PM in future - there's millions of landlords and we can stop him.'

I think where I've posted on it previously it was probably to outline the fundamental hubris: not only in the belief that they can significantly affect politics now, having no grounding in it, but in the misplaced notion that they could ignore it in the first place.

They've been messing around with the fundamental living conditions and quality of life of an entire generation, and doing so via interest-only lending that has recently contributed to the biggest financial crisis in living memory, and yet they've apparently assumed that they could be so relaxed about the political risk that they needn't even cultivate an interest?

Pure ego. They advertise their arrogance and conceit as if it is some kind of defense for their actions, rather than that which is rendering them foolhardy and obtuse.