House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Damaged Suitcase

Advice, please. I've discovered that my suitcase has a 6" gash in it after an Emirates flight from Australia yesterday. I was in a wheelchair when the man picked it up for me and it was put in the car by my son. So I didn't notice it till this morning. Am I still able to claim?

DId somebody steal your "Columbian marching powder"?

If you arrive in the baggage hall to find your luggage has been damaged, go to the relevant luggage handling counter at the airport and fill in a Property Irregularity Report (PIR).

The airline will then contact you to discuss the extent of the damage and their recourse - which could take the form of a new suitcase.

It's not a legal requirement to have a PIR, but it does speed up the claims process.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-airline-has-lost-or-damaged-my-bag-what-can-i-do

From the Emirates website:

If your baggage arrives damaged, we’ll help you at the airport’s baggage services office. They will ask you to fill in a report.

If you leave the airport without making a claim and find your baggage is damaged when you arrive at your destination, report it to us at your nearest Emirates office. If you’re in Dubai, you can call +971 4 214 4433.

https://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/essential_information/baggages/delayed-damaged-baggage.aspx

They have baggage numbers at the link for Gatwick or Heathrow dependent on which one you came through.

So you need to telephone the Emirates baggage number at your airport of arrival, get a PIR number, make your claim, get confirmation and make sure that the claim goes through. You need to do this tomorrow morning.

Before you ring them have an idea of the replacement cost for your suitcase - find the most expensive price available for it online.

Advice, please. I've discovered that my suitcase has a 6" gash in it after an Emirates flight from Australia yesterday. I was in a wheelchair when the man picked it up for me and it was put in the car by my son. So I didn't notice it till this morning. Am I still able to claim?

It might be simpler to sue your son.