House Price Crash Forum

Where Would You Escape To?

southmartin

HOLA441
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Well the last time we got threads like this was 2007 - so is this a sign the next big KABOOM is on its way ?

I think the UK is a hugely different place compared to back then in many respects apart from the huge elephant in the room about the UK's economy pushing house price inflation.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I would be very reluctant to spend serious time in countries where I couldn't pass on first sight for a native. If things kick off you're instantly visible as somebody who doesn't belong.

My plan would be (and is) to stay where I am. Largely because of the issue of unity. I've a large extended family who my son can look to for support if anything happens to me.

Edit to add: I told a friend a few years ago that I was eating healthy and working out because the world economy was in the shitter, and there would be social issues down the line, and I wanted to be fit and healthy so that I could look after my family. He reminded me of this the other day and said that it was looking like a good call.

a Brit would pass as a Native at first glance in Ireland.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I was asked if I was a Kashmir girl.

I've been mistaken for Spanish, Norwegian, German, and Indian. I guess there's a bit of Zelig about me. :blink:

HOLA448
HOLA449

St. Kitts.

Based on the book "Emergency" and the amount of research in the meeting of survivalists, ex military, ex government and loaded people.

Easier said than done and I'm lacking a pilot, a private jet and a serious amount of capital. And connections.

So probably my loft.

HOLA4410

Ah, I have misunderstood this thread.

Iceland will do OK most likely if you like a fish diet.

I think the problem will come to lots of bloodshed first though. I am no doomster but I can see what has happened in Syria happening in Europe and the UK within 50 years. There are two large separate groups now. In any collapse it would be best to ignore places like London, Luton, Bradford, Brum, etc.

It is going to be hard for indigenous British people to unite as well I suspect as opposed to those who are more recent arrivals.

I used to live in the Islamic state of tower hamlets so I've had a little taste of this already. I felt like a refugee in my own country.

I now live on a blue water yacht in central London, in a self sufficient community of boaters. Its like living in the 1950's and only having to visit the 21st century for work or partying with dry land friends. When the shit hits the fan and the roads are blocked my friends and I will be sailing down the Thames ready to offer our services to the rebel alliance, wherever it may be.

My friends and neighbours have a huge range of practical skills which would make us self sufficient until we found a safe haven. My only contribution is the ability to teach the ukulele, but I have a feeling that come the apocalypse people will need their ukuleles more than ever. Fingers crossed.

HOLA4411

Where would you put it?

:lol:

I love all those yanks who have one of these underground bunkers built in their back garden. They have massive building works, cranes and stuff all going on in their neighbourhood. Or they then have photo shoots in mags about their bunker or videos on youtube.

There is that place in, IIRC, Czech Republic or Germany or somewhere - you can google it - which is an old silo that has been converted for rich people to survive some awful event. Well, that would be a good place to go for food and stuff.

Bunkers are only of value if no one knows where they are. Otherwise, like castles, they become static objects that are difficult to defend against in the medium to longterm.

HOLA4412

I think NZ will just be swamped with Chinese one day. The Chinese would not have to do any shooting. They could just send loads of cruise liners and swamp the country with 50 million Chinese and the Kiwis could do nothing to stop them.

The Kiwi military is virtually non-existent. Understandable perhaps because they couldn't do much anyhow as they do not have the economic power to buy the kit. An Aussie navy ship pulled up in some Kiwi bay recently and no one noticed until some bloke rang the local media to complain that it was scaring away the fish.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I can't imaging how poncy Brighton is now. I was a student there, and lived on there for a few years. :huh:

It's bad. I grew up there. Have managed to avoid it for the last few years. You can't move for trendy beards. And that's just the women!

HOLA4419

:lol:

I love all those yanks who have one of these underground bunkers built in their back garden. They have massive building works, cranes and stuff all going on in their neighbourhood. Or they then have photo shoots in mags about their bunker or videos on youtube.

There is that place in, IIRC, Czech Republic or Germany or somewhere - you can google it - which is an old silo that has been converted for rich people to survive some awful event. Well, that would be a good place to go for food and stuff.

Bunkers are only of value if no one knows where they are. Otherwise, like castles, they become static objects that are difficult to defend against in the medium to longterm.

By the time your average post apocalyptic HPCer would have made it to the bunker, the lack of vaccinations, antibiotics, special dietary requirements and other special snowflake stuff would render them barely able to kick in the door of a wendy house. My moneys on the bunker.

And the ones strong enough to make it like ccc would have gone mad through lack of booze.

HOLA4420

By the time your average post apocalyptic HPCer would have made it to the bunker, the lack of vaccinations, antibiotics, special dietary requirements and other special snowflake stuff would render them barely able to kick in the door of a wendy house. My moneys on the bunker.

And the ones strong enough to make it like ccc would have gone mad through lack of booze.

There probably is a fortune to be made with some sort of bunker finder smartphone app. Not that a smartphone will do you much good when the world is ending - apart from being able to twitter it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

There probably is a fortune to be made with some sort of bunker finder smartphone app. Not that a smartphone will do you much good when the world is ending - apart from being able to twitter it.

There's a rubbish TV series on at the moment called 'Stupid Man, Smart Phone' where stand-up comic Russell Kane (he'd fit right in on the Backpfeifengesicht thread) demonstrates what a useless numpty he is, stumbling around with an app for every eventuality he encounters, tweeting other numpties for advice. He is clearly hamming up his stupidity for the camera, but it does make me think that this is probably what most people would be like in a SHTF situation. And then the signal would go down. Oh dear.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived