House Price Crash Forum

Do You Like Fruit?

Byron

HOLA441

I developed a real passion for mangoes in the couple of years I lived in Oz. Difficult to get them quite the same here as the ripeness is harder to find when they've been flown across the world.

Mangoes also make a great addition to a curry.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I like all green vegetables, tomatoes, olives.

But I just don't like fruit.

I don't know why.

Also, I am not that keen on chocolate and will generally avoid it.

Bizarre, but I just wondered if I am alone.

....lots of people like that, they have a savory tooth not a sweet tooth......give them a cheese straw over a fruit cake any day. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest eight

....lots of people like that, they have a savory tooth not a sweet tooth......give them a cheese straw over a fruit cake any day. :)

Not that I don't like fruit - apples or bananas, for preference - but I could eat cheesy snacks until they... well, I've never actually had sufficient cheesy snacks available to find out. Probably just as well.

HOLA447

Not that I don't like fruit - apples or bananas, for preference - but I could eat cheesy snacks until they... well, I've never actually had sufficient cheesy snacks available to find out. Probably just as well.

Snap. Along with mint chocolate bicuits I avoid this by not buyng cheesy snacks in the first place!

HOLA448

Anyone ever tried a durian? The descriptions of how awful they smell has really left me curious about them.

Yep, they're ubiquitous in Singapore. Have got a delicious mango-like sweetness, which is sadly almost completely obscured by a rotten, putrid, sour aroma which envelops the senses and kicks seven shades of s*** out of them.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have to admit that after a lifetime of trying, I have never got to like raw fruit.

Apple pie etc. is fine, but raw fruit, no thank you.

My son also dislikes fruit.

Grapes in liquid form with the sugar turned to alcohol are often delicious

HOLA4411

Yep, they're ubiquitous in Singapore. Have got a delicious mango-like sweetness, which is sadly almost completely obscured by a rotten, putrid, sour aroma which envelops the senses and kicks seven shades of s*** out of them.

Yeah, Singapore's where I've encountered them.

Mango's another fruit that's a pale shadow of what it should be when it's made the long journey to Blighty.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Anyone ever tried a durian? The descriptions of how awful they smell has really left me curious about them.

Yes - meh. Apparently you shouldn't drink alcohol with durian (could never find out why).

Best description: it's like eating onion flavoured custard whilst sitting in a sewer

HOLA4416

Human 'seed' tastes rather unpleasant - so I've been told - probably so it's not wasted being consumed and goes to the correct target area instead.

Whereas with plants and trees - its the opposite - so animals consume it and deposit elsewhere as nature intended.

Very simple but rather amazing at the same time.

HOLA4417

Snap. Along with mint chocolate bicuits I avoid this by not buyng cheesy snacks in the first place!

I've gone wheat free but, before that, I had to stoop to skulking into B&M Bargains to get my Viscount fix as unable to locate them elsewhere. I think, well I'II just have one, when I get back to the car then by the time I get home the passenger seat's a sea of scrunched up bits of green tin foil.

HOLA4418
Guest eight

I've gone wheat free but, before that, I had to stoop to skulking into B&M Bargains to get my Viscount fix as unable to locate them elsewhere. I think, well I'II just have one, when I get back to the car then by the time I get home the passenger seat's a sea of scrunched up bits of green tin foil.

Surprised you haven't got the in on the wholesale route.

Mmmmm, a container load of Viscounts....

HOLA4419

I like fruits from temperate regions such as raspberries but loath those from the tropics. Things like mangoes set my teeth on edge. I find a lot of the fruits that are not native to the UK crushingly unsubtle in their taste like many other supposedly exotic foreign imports. The fact that something is very sweet or very hot to the taste buds does not necessarily make it great food in my book but I suspect I am in a minority in modern Britain. I am sure that someone in the UK will soon claim that lychees covered in peri peri sauce is the next culinary sensation.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

And presumably you ask yourself the same question:

"Did I eat all of those?"

HOLA4422

I like fruits from temperate regions such as raspberries but loath those from the tropics. Things like mangoes set my teeth on edge. I find a lot of the fruits that are not native to the UK crushingly unsubtle in their taste like many other supposedly exotic foreign imports. The fact that something is very sweet or very hot to the taste buds does not necessarily make it great food in my book but I suspect I am in a minority in modern Britain. I am sure that someone in the UK will soon claim that lychees covered in peri peri sauce is the next culinary sensation.

Come on even jocklands national dish has a spicy kick to it :)

HOLA4423

I was suffering from persistent pain in the lower right abdomen and back and had almost convinced myself that I had developed bowel cancer when I realised that I had had the same pain when overwintering in Spain a couple of years ago.

What was the common factor?

Oranges!

They have been very cheap here lately so I had been eating as many as three a day.Checked with Dr.Google and there I find advice to not eat a lot of oranges because they cause pain "around the waist in older people".

Stopped eating oranges and the pain has gone.

HOLA4424

I was suffering from persistent pain in the lower right abdomen and back and had almost convinced myself that I had developed bowel cancer when I realised that I had had the same pain when overwintering in Spain a couple of years ago.

What was the common factor?

Oranges!

They have been very cheap here lately so I had been eating as many as three a day.Checked with Dr.Google and there I find advice to not eat a lot of oranges because they cause pain "around the waist in older people".

Stopped eating oranges and the pain has gone.

Always worth remembering, when the Daily Mail is doing one of its bits of 'eating loads of this is really healthy' journalism, that 5 a day, despite now being a key plank of NHS doctrine, was originated by the marketing department of the California fruit growers association.

HOLA4425

Archived