House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Eat Lard...obesity Forum

Been a main runner on the BBC today. As a carb fanatic I actually disagree and have never had a weight problem, but then I do move a lot and may be carbs aren't right for the sedentary.

Also Uk Health did point out that heart disease has collapsed 70% during the transition from cows to oil seed rape, far more than can be explained from smoking alone.

Basically when I was a lad it was pure carnage, school teachers used to drop dead in front of you, blokes didn't generally make 70 and by my family history I should already be dead. (ie grandparents' generation...lard, butter and bacon)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36345768

In my lifetime, Ive witnessed two major transitions in health/life style:

1) Large drop off in smokers.

My granparents were of the 'Smoking is good for you!' generation.

Maternal GP stopped dead after a lung infection saw he coughing up tar. He lived til late 80s.

Paternal's carried on, dying in their mid 60s, with very poor health for the last 10 years.

2) Drop in the everyday use of Lard (Im Northern)

Eve n til the mid 80s our chips and food was fried in lard.

On a everyday,, greasy breakfast + tea basis.

And most meals involved using the chip pan for something - including salad (almost),

Other than 'posh' fish + chips out, nothigns fried in animal fats.

Sadly, we dont have a chip pan anymore - oven chips rule!

The inconvenient truth is that sugar consumption is collapsing. Certainly if I am anything to go by........

Just take my breakfast

Crashmonitor 1976

Frosties, full fat milk...toast with lurpak and marmalade...tea with sugar

Crashmonitor 2016

Porridge (no sugar, water and skimmed milk)

Toast and margarine

Tea no sugar.

We just stopped moving.

http://www.czarnikow.com/sites/default/files/uk_per_capita_online_0.jpg

Bar sugar - which is an issue - other life style changes are pretty minor.

I suppose I'd agree with that - but it is very complex.

I'm not at all convinced that saturated fat is correlated with blood cholesterol. And while there is a correlation between cholesterol and heart disease, I'm not convinced that it is causal (ie, people with heart disease have high cholesterol, but high cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean you'll die of heart disease).

On the other hand, I am absolutely convinced that over consumption of easily digestible carbohydrates is responsible for the increase in obesity and diabetes.

The really complicating thing is to do with satiation and dietary discipline - fats (and proteins) are more likely to make you feel as though you've had enough food. Beyond this, I've started to think that perhaps some people find carbohydrates addictive, and the only practicable way to sort out their diet is to remove the readily digestible carbohydrates completely. This isn't a particularly healthy approach but it is more healthy than obesity/diabetes.

In my lifetime, Ive witnessed two major transitions in health/life style:

1) Large drop off in smokers.

My granparents were of the 'Smoking is good for you!' generation.

Maternal GP stopped dead after a lung infection saw he coughing up tar. He lived til late 80s.

Paternal's carried on, dying in their mid 60s, with very poor health for the last 10 years.

2) Drop in the everyday use of Lard (Im Northern)

Eve n til the mid 80s our chips and food was fried in lard.

On a everyday,, greasy breakfast + tea basis.

And most meals involved using the chip pan for something - including salad (almost),

Other than 'posh' fish + chips out, nothigns fried in animal fats.

Sadly, we dont have a chip pan anymore - oven chips rule!

What about lack of movement in day to day life ? That's been a huge change over even the past 20 years.

Look at kids getting driven to school as a perfect example.

Carbs are not the enemy. I eat three big bowls of carbs every day and I weigh feck all. Buy my carbs of choice are oats, brown rice, and sweet potato.

Calorie dense processed foods, and their high concentrations of sugar, salt and fat are the enemy. Plus you miss out on all the micronutrients that you get in plants.

The inconvenient truth is that sugar consumption is collapsing. Certainly if I am anything to go by........

Nope. That's just your age. It's normal and healthy for children to have a much sweeter tooth than their elders. We all need sugar, and the young need proportionally more than older folks (though, across the age range, not as much as some get).

Also Uk Health did point out that heart disease has collapsed 70% during the transition from cows to oil seed rape, far more than can be explained from smoking alone.

Do they just mean fatalities from heart disease? Heart disease is a lot more treatable now than it was 50 years ago, a condition that can be remedied by a stent now would have killed you then.

I'm not at all convinced that saturated fat is correlated with blood cholesterol. And while there is a correlation between cholesterol and heart disease, I'm not convinced that it is causal (ie, people with heart disease have high cholesterol, but high cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean you'll die of heart disease).

On the other hand, I am absolutely convinced that over consumption of easily digestible carbohydrates is responsible for the increase in obesity and diabetes.

The really complicating thing is to do with satiation and dietary discipline - fats (and proteins) are more likely to make you feel as though you've had enough food. Beyond this, I've started to think that perhaps some people find carbohydrates addictive, and the only practicable way to sort out their diet is to remove the readily digestible carbohydrates completely. This isn't a particularly healthy approach but it is more healthy than obesity/diabetes.

I agree about the addictive nature of carbohydrates, not for everyone but it is certainly the case for me. I went cold turkey for 9 months and lost a good amount of weight and feel much better. Every aspect of my health and wellbeing is better on a high fat diet.

I have now introduced a little resistive starch into my diet and that has been fine. Just a few potatoes or white rice left to go cold and reheated. It gives me more strength for weight lifting and keeps me regular. If you go very low carb for a long time you can start to feel cold and a little lackluster.

IMO the high carb low fat advice of the last few decades has been disastrous and positively dangerous when applies to diabetics. The trouble is science advances one funeral at a time. The advice won't change until the old guard is swept away.

Just take my breakfast

Crashmonitor 1976

Crashmonitor 2016

Toast and margarine

Tea no sugar.

We just stopped moving.

You find its not evenly distributed.

Im a veggie, so don eat pies + sausage rolls.

However my abstinence is more than made by the lardy family off to Greggs.

Its probably down to processed carbs and sugar.

The mased potatos and bread (I dont think anyone in the UK ate rice til 1974) of old have been taken over by pizzas and kebabs.

Nope. That's just your age. It's normal and healthy for children to have a much sweeter tooth than their elders...

It comes back with old age. Not a single morsel enters my mymother's mouth, without being drenched with various sauces and chutneys she is addicted. Literally, not a single forkfull.

Also makes sense of course. Old people need whateevr calories they can get to stay alive.

Nothing wrong with lard, dripping or butter......food and fatness is all about quantity and quality.......quality = eat regular meals where you know and can identify all the ingredients that went into making it, quantity = size/amount of portions matters.....cut out picking in between meals, drink water......cut out on trans-fats found mainly in processed foods and refined sugar. cut down on salt.....all common sense. ;)

It comes back with old age. Not a single morsel enters my mymother's mouth, without being drenched with various sauces and chutneys she is addicted. Literally, not a single forkfull.

Also makes sense of course. Old people need whateevr calories they can get to stay alive.

A guy at work used to put hot chilli sauce on all his food.....went out for a works carvery meal once, out came the hot chilli from pocket, splashed it all over.....all ingredients must of tasted the same.....salt is the same, the more you are used to the more you need to flavour stuff. ;)

Yeah, I agree, the high cholesterol comes as a response to something bad...

Carbs are instantly available in the blood for use for movement, whereas fats are not...thus, if you eat a load of carbs, then whatever you dont use fom the blood is going to be stored...raised insulin and slow insulin resistance.

Fats cant be eaten normally in huge quantities...I mean, who eats a 250g tub of lard in one sitting?..a box of biscuits however...

Just take my breakfast

Crashmonitor 1976

Crashmonitor 2016

Toast and margarine

Tea no sugar.

We just stopped moving.

true.

the good old full english is a sunday morning treat now.

weekdays it's cereal/toast/muesli with yoghurt/fruit salad+ fresh filter coffee or juice

(actually feel less stodgy inside for it too)

porridge with strawberry jam is nice.

so is cumberland sausage+scrambled egg, but I't get's rather more-ish!!

weekdays it's cereal/toast/muesli with yoghurt/fruit salad+ fresh filter coffee or juice

(actually feel less stodgy inside for it too)

Carbs are instantly available in the blood for use for movement, whereas fats are not...thus, if you eat a load of carbs, then whatever you dont use fom the blood is going to be stored...raised insulin and slow insulin resistance.

My typical brekkie this morning - a greasy treat consisting of 2 rashers and an egg fried in butter, a bit of German sausage, chedder slices, cherry toms, a raw carrot,

and that's a clove of crushed raw garlic hiding behind the egg. All washed down with a glass of raw unpasteurized milk I source locally.

Besides munching on some almonds, that holds me until my evening meal which is meat + steamed veg - no sugar, starches or fruit whatsoever.

I'm losing weight on it steadily, have become very regular in my motions, and experience minimal flatulence or bloating.

Bit short of energy for exercise and had some "Atkins Flu" at the start, but feeling great now.

IMG_20160522_104437.jpg

I'd stop on that raw milk. In men it can set up an infection where you end up having a testicle removed. It wasn't uncommon, Frank Muir had it from drinking raw milk during his RAF service. The infection is brucellosis.

Yeah, I agree, the high cholesterol comes as a response to something bad...

Fats cant be eaten normally in huge quantities...I mean, who eats a 250g tub of lard in one sitting?..a box of biscuits however...

Have you stood outside Greggs?

Or the Nurse station at a hospital?

Our outside the localcouncil offices?

This whole topic is a complete minefield.

Almost all sides agree about the dangers of added sugar to food.

The disagreement is about the role of carbohydrates in the diet.

One fact the LCHF diet proponents fail to mention is that the actual amount of carbohydrate the average individual eats in the UK has declined over the same period as the average weight of the UK population has increased. In particular people eat far less bread and potatoes than they did 50 years ago. The DEFRA Family food tables clearly show this trend. In fact we eat both less saturated fat and less carbohydrate than in the past and our overall calorie intake has dropped yet we are still getting bigger.

Looking at the trends the one thing that does seem to be increasing in line with weight gain is the amount of added sugar manufacturers like putting in food and the decline in the amount of physical activity taken by many people particularly walking.

This whole topic is a complete minefield.

Almost all sides agree about the dangers of added sugar to food.

The disagreement is about the role of carbohydrates in the diet.

One fact the LCHF diet proponents fail to mention is that the actual amount of carbohydrate the average individual eats in the UK has declined over the same period as the average weight of the UK population has increased. In particular people eat far less bread and potatoes than they did 50 years ago. The DEFRA Family food tables clearly show this trend. In fact we eat both less saturated fat and less carbohydrate than in the past and our overall calorie intake has dropped yet we are still getting bigger.

Looking at the trends the one thing that does seem to be increasing in line with weight gain is the amount of added sugar manufacturers like putting in food and the decline in the amount of physical activity taken by many people particularly walking.

its the hidden stuff that people forget they are eating.

People may have cut out sugar from their diets, yet eat diet meals, tins of beans and an icecream for afters.

Biscuits and cakes of course contain no sugars.

Excess consumption of sugar turns into carbohydrates........you only have to make jams and chutney, to make cakes and biscuits, to make home brew or wine to see the huge quantities of sugar required to make only small amounts......hidden refined sugar heaps on the stored pounds.;)