House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Unaffordable ? What If They Built ‘Half Of A Good House’ Instead? - Nice Idea

...What if they built ‘Half of a Good House’ instead?...

Tiny Homes, Wiki Houses and Co-Living: The Future of Housing Isn’t More of the Same

https://medium.com/@PaulBromford/tiny-homes-wiki-houses-and-co-living-the-future-of-housing-isnt-more-of-the-same-268a67a604e7#.7ixrhkvc0

In 2003 a Chilean architecture company called Elemental were given an almost impossible housing challenge. Build properties for an available budget of $7,500 a home, including the cost of the land.

They all agreed that they could build a house for that budget — but it would be a very bad one. So rather than build poor housing and damage their reputation they came up with a unique alternative.

What if they built ‘Half of a Good House’ instead?

Build the difficult bits — giving basic plumbing and shelter — then allow the residents to complete the work themselves later. This would then unleash the residents creativity and give them a stake in their new home. They were building their own skills and playing a more active role in raising their standard of living.

In its first two years, the 100 families had made an average of $750 in improvements per home, doubling the size and raising their value by an estimated $20,000 each.....

1*611qP0rAf7hK3YPlJ-SwjA.jpeg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

haha good luck with that here " giving residents there own creativity!" the house opposite me was delayed in the build because they couldn't find the right color bricks, the local planning brought the who process to a halt. This was a typical red brick english semi in a non descript street. While I can understand this control in areas of natural beauty or historical significance there is a ludicrous amount of interference by council jobsworths on total nonsense. We have some of the most stringent planning laws in europe while we have a housing crisis so that a tiny handful can own and protect there land investments.

The technology exists now to make homes really cheaply that last and that positively contribute to the environment.

This country is stupid, sorry to rant but I drives me crazy.

haha good luck with that here " giving residents there own creativity!" the house opposite me was delayed in the build because they couldn't find the right color bricks, the local planning brought the who process to a halt. This was a typical red brick english semi in a non descript street. While I can understand this control in areas of natural beauty or historical significance there is a ludicrous amount of interference by council jobsworths on total nonsense. We have some of the most stringent planning laws in europe while we have a housing crisis so that a tiny handful can own and protect there land investments.

The technology exists now to make homes really cheaply that last and that positively contribute to the environment.

This country is stupid, sorry to rant but I drives me crazy.

We also - newbuilds at least - have some of the blandest, ugliest housing. I wonder if there is a causal link?

Walter segal proposed the same thing in Lewisham in London in the 1980s.

Basically the houses can be built extremely easily and expanded out as you need from standard size components as your family grows.

http://www.architecturefoundation.org.uk/programme/2015/walter’s-way-the-anarchist-housing-estate

Of course not there lived in by hipsters and go for hundreds of thousands of pounds rather than for the social market they were originally designed for. Boo.

We also - newbuilds at least - have some of the blandest, ugliest housing. I wonder if there is a causal link?

Yup greed and profit

You could build a group of houses, surround them with trees and build them into the eco system, use great design to make beautiful cheap and environmentally friendly houses which contributed more than they took out. The health and well being of the residents would be good as would the sense of community.

One slight problem though this doesnt have as much profit potential as packing in a load of shit redbrick houses with tiny rooms and pumping them out with massive debt. Make sure they dont have any garden to speak of either as any wasted space is space where you could squeeze more profit.

Then wonder when later in the life cycle it turns into a crime ridden housing scheme where noone cares outside there red box and it slides until it is the sort of community channel 4 makes a documentary about.

Have you been to France? They don't seem to have got past the Soviet towerblock stage.

Well, according to this page the average wage monthly is 1021 dollars a month so 12,252 a year.

They have no idea how lucky they are to have avoided financialization.

n its first two years, the 100 families had made an average of $750 in improvements per home, doubling the size and raising their value by an estimated $20,000 each.....

And I thought HUTH had fantasy figures for refurb costs and increases in values!!!

Have you been to France? They don't seem to have got past the Soviet towerblock stage.

this is a phenomenon of the last 20 years...French flair has gone. grey monoliths abound now. along with hundreds of new concrete marinas

I like the idea but in South East of England terms let's assume:

- cost of land = £200k

- cost to build a whole house in one go = £100k

- cost to build half the house = £70k

- cost to complete the remaining half = £30k

The problem is not finding that £30k to make the house full size, but the problem is finding £200k for the plot of land!

I'd buy one of those half-houses, move in TEMPORARILY to the already built half whilst I convert the unbuilt half to three or four exec studio apartments, then buy another half-house three doors down, just rent the old half-house and the studios out. Rinse and repeat for the whole street.

Always leaving a gap of TWO half-houses between my rentals so as not to pss off the other residents too much.

I'd probably own a shtload of houses full of people paying me rent within about a year, it'd certainly guarantee my retirement nest egg as savings rates are so low, innit.

A variation of this - what if you buy half a good existing house . For the money quite often you can buy a big old place that needs some doing up that can easily be split into two. Had investigated this with idea of potential purchase with friends, put money into pot to do basics - 2x electric, gas, water supplies plus necessary work to split house. Then go separate ways. Risky and not fo rthe faint hearted but a possibly solution to get far more than you would otherwise for the money. Would probably need enough money for cash purchase and for initial work. Once house split then mortgagng would be OK.

There may also be something lost in translation in those articles.

Let's say it costs (discounted) $7500 to build + $750 to improve and total (raised value) after improvements is $27,500 (if we are to believe $20,000 rise in the value from the article).

What would actually happen - developer will spend $7500 on construction and sell it close to $27500 - $750 = $26750.

Edited by Bear Hug

Not quite the same but I remember 30 years ago in Greece a popular way to build was to build the first floor of your home and move in, leaving the rebar pointing to the sky. Then, when the children come along and you've saved up a bit, build the next floor. Complete at your leisure.

However, IIRC this was more to do with taxation than simply spreading the build costs.

this is a phenomenon of the last 20 years...French flair has gone. grey monoliths abound now. along with hundreds of new concrete marinas

It's a huge shame for them too since I really rather like France, at least the older parts of it (but at least they're a bit better on their plumbing than they used to be, even if they're still not all the way there). Can't understand why they're so keen to make a mess of their country, but then I can't understand why we're so keen to make a mess of ours either. Must be human nature, chuck something attractive and worth having in the bin because some idiot has come up with a cheap and nasty alternative.