House Price Crash Forum

In-Ear Device That Translates Foreign Languages In Real Time

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Presumably if it's "real" and not just a kickstarter type scam, it's just a bluetooth earpiece and your phone/cloud service has to do the heavy lifting of the translation work.

It would make sense to make use of existing hardware for that if it's up to the job. I'm guessing that phone speech recognition is done by the phone rather than in some big server somewhere?

Incidentally, it would be something new that I like the sound of (well, other than needing a phone).

HOLA445
HOLA446

When I was in school the people who were good at Latin, French, German or some other foreign language were considered at the pinnacle. It sounds bizarre now but there was more kudos in passing languages than the sciences and the then infancy computer stuff.

Loads of Unis had language qualifications at or near the top for entrance and many jobs, such as the civil service, was full of people who only wanted to hire others who had one or more languages other than English.

I suppose it was a legacy of the Empire.

I am delighted that the internet is making these people less and less wanted and I welcome the introduction of this technology.

Only yesterday I was reading how Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese in Portugal are now so different that most Brazilians find it easier to understand someone who speaks Spanish rather than someone from Portugal.

But then I often cannot understand many black Americans who seem to speak a dialect and an English all of their ow.

HOLA447

As if Brits need any more excuses not to learn foreign languages.

Can't learn the language of everywhere you might visit, and it'll always be easier if you can speak it. Handy for holidays but it'll still be a good idea to learn the language if you're moving abroad.

HOLA448

Can't learn the language of everywhere you might visit, and it'll always be easier if you can speak it. Handy for holidays but it'll still be a good idea to learn the language if you're moving abroad.

your target human will need one too.

HOLA449

It would make sense to make use of existing hardware for that if it's up to the job. I'm guessing that phone speech recognition is done by the phone rather than in some big server somewhere?

Incidentally, it would be something new that I like the sound of (well, other than needing a phone).

I think most voice recognition and translation is kicked back to dedicated servers.

It'll allow you to extend it to dozens of languages and and use iterative learning to constantly improve the service.

It'll minimize load on the relatively precious memory and processing power (and maybe battery) of the phone.

It'll allow you to more effectively move to a pricey subscription model, once you have an established user base.

It'll allow the NSA to eavesdrop on so much more. :ph34r:

HOLA4410

"bonjour Frank"

<morning ******> "Eh Whats up? go frack yourself"

<que, jai un erection, aller la dans ton derriere>

Tu es un cochon...Je Marche

<you are a pig..im off>

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This is a remain campaign planted story. Now that we can understand Johnny Foreigner there is nothing to be scared of anymore. We are all one happy nation. :)

Should massively reduce the opportunities for interpreters in Strasbourg / Brussels though.

HOLA4416

When I was in school the people who were good at Latin, French, German or some other foreign language were considered at the pinnacle. It sounds bizarre now but there was more kudos in passing languages than the sciences and the then infancy computer stuff.

Loads of Unis had language qualifications at or near the top for entrance and many jobs, such as the civil service, was full of people who only wanted to hire others who had one or more languages other than English.

I am delighted that the internet is making these people less and less wanted and I welcome the introduction of this technology.

Only yesterday I was reading how Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese in Portugal are now so different that most Brazilians find it easier to understand someone who speaks Spanish rather than someone from Portugal.

But then I often cannot understand many black Americans who seem to speak a dialect and an English all of their ow.

depends on the job you do.

having a basic grasp of a foreign language does help.

I'm fairly competent at literary(not conversational speed) german..can get by with ordering stuff from restaurants etc, but I work with a few guys who are completely fluent,both for speaking and grammar , at 4 or 5 languages.

it's a bit embarrassing really.

HOLA4417

This is a remain campaign planted story. Now that we can understand Johnny Foreigner there is nothing to be scared of anymore. We are all one happy nation. :)

Should massively reduce the opportunities for interpreters in Strasbourg / Brussels though.

I assume they must have tested this technology on the Eurovision song contest because it seemed to my ear that a lot of those foreign artists sounded as though they were singing in English.

BTW as Douglas Adams pointed out about the Babel Fish removing barriers to all communications between different cultures and races will probably cause more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

HOLA4418

Snap.

A foreign language qualification was a requirement so I did it but didn't see the point. Unless you are going to spend extensive time in a particular country you will never use it.

I thought it was like despite knowing the decimal system you were expected to also become entirely fluent in binary even though you would not actually use it and just steadily forget it.

Archived