House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Grand Design Crumbling And Abandoned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3603551/Grand-Designs-Lake-District-eco-lodge-crumbling-abandoned.html

Grand Decay: 'Awe-inspiring' Lake District eco-lodge is now crumbling and abandoned just six years after featuring on C4 show

The Dome House Boutique was built in 2010 for the Grand Design cameras in Bowness-in-Windermere, Cumbria
Holiday home has a sauna and swimming pool and was designed over two years at a cost of more than £1 milion
But the once-modern luxury apartment is now dilapidated and disintegrating, with its owner nowhere to be seen

Think this one they had money to do the left half but not the right half.

Typical Daily Fail. It's hardly "crumbling". I like the way the wood has aged personally; it just looks like it needs a little bit of maintenance.

Yeh, it's a bit wet in the Lake District isn't it?

That's why they have been building with stone walls & slate roofs for centuries up there.

Wooden houses in Scandinavia seem to work okay.

Edited by quine

Most of Sweden has a temperate climate, with four distinct seasons and mild temperatures throughout the year. On average, most of Sweden receives between 500 and 800 mm (20 and 31 in) of precipitation each year, making it considerably drier than the global average.

Less wet (and windy) there? and morefreezing cold instead.

Perhaps sufficient difference to merit the building differences. I would imagine stone and slate will be awful at retaining heat in winter?

Edited by anonguest

Most of Sweden has a temperate climate, with four distinct seasons and mild temperatures throughout the year. On average, most of Sweden receives between 500 and 800 mm (20 and 31 in) of precipitation each year, making it considerably drier than the global average.

Yep Swden is a lot more dry than the UK.

Or drizzle buggers stuff up.

Looks okay. The colour change is just what happens to that type of wood after a few years.

Their main problem seems to be with the heating - there seems to be some sort of biomass heating which takes some maintenance. For a luxury holiday let you should just get something reliable and price the costs into the rental fees.

Looks okay. The colour change is just what happens to that type of wood after a few years.

Their main problem seems to be with the heating - there seems to be some sort of biomass heating which takes some maintenance. For a luxury holiday let you should just get something reliable and price the costs into the rental fees.

Ahhh...but then it wouldn't be all 'eco' and trendy?

Edited by anonguest

My experience of biomass boilers (having been chair of Governors at a school that had one to meet building energy regulations) is no, never give me something that actually works.

Just about the only eco things I would trust are ground source heatpumps, a lot of insulation, turbines and solar panels.... And I doubt a lot of those are economically viable...

I would imagine stone and slate will be awful at retaining heat in winter?

The front door is the biggest source of heat loss in my stone and slate house (really not helped by the letterbox, straight into the living room). Other than that it wouldn't be too bad if I slung a bit more insulation up in the loft, but then I don't mind it getting a bit chilly and don't insist on the house being kept suitable for shorts and T shirt all winter.

Yes, I think it is Canadian red cedar, it is designed to be left untreated and turns that colour after a while.

I have watched a few Grand Designs. I do like some of the ideas presented but the attitude to finance appears to be quite reckless in about half of the episodes.

I do hope it's over-acted/edited a little to make for more exciting TV viewing. Otherwise, a lot of those people are going to be in serious financial trouble. Unless they built in London and at least 3 or more years ago.

DEBTjunkies gonna DEBTjunkie, I guess?

+1

It is crumbling because of too much debt as much as poor design if some of those quotes in the Mail article are correct. A metaphor for the UK economy as a whole really.

+1

It is crumbling because of too much debt as much as poor design if some of those quotes in the Mail article are correct. A metaphor for the UK economy as a whole really.

And that's in an environment of ZIRP. In the past there's been a few of his shows houses on here, the common theme is that they lose money. The show wouldn't have existed if not for lack lending. I wonder when the next series of programmes will air?

+1

But, but, won't somebody think of the DEBTors?

Our entire economy, and that of all 'developed' nations infact our entire control system now relies on people taking on shtloads of DEBT. In less than a generation the stigma of DEBT has vanished and you are now looked on by wider society as some sort of nutcase if you don't take on a truckload of the good stuff and flaunt it. It's all gone bass ackwards in less than thirty years.

Our rulers therefore reward those who play along with the slavery game - just look at this PPI helicopter money exercise, they're basically rewarding the DEBTslaves who played the game hard - subtly reinforcing the notion that you can't lose with DEBT. At the same time those who stand aside awaiting the inevitable collapse are demonised as scumbag renters with no aspiration to get ahead in life etc.

I suspect many people on the DEBTwheel have some sort of notion that renter scum are living off their backs somehow, given they don't have a plan for retirement "who is going to pay their rent when they retire? ME I expect."

DEBT has become associated in the minds of the masses with aspiration, hard work, doing the right thing, getting ahead in life. A real life example of mass scale brainwashing through our beloved mainstream media.

I have watched a few Grand Designs. I do like some of the ideas presented but the attitude to finance appears to be quite reckless in about half of the episodes.

I do hope it's over-acted/edited a little to make for more exciting TV viewing. Otherwise, a lot of those people are going to be in serious financial trouble. Unless they built in London and at least 3 or more years ago.

Never mind they can always re-use the house by having it on 'Can't Pay We'll Take it Away'.

'We have a high court writ from Mr Kevin McCloud for an outstanding payment of...'

'What mate? What? Dunno what you're talking about mate?

'You received a high court summons...'

'Never got no letter, mate!'

etc etc etc

Edited by Austin Allegro

i see these 'grand designs' houses posted all the time. They have nothing to do with the housing market. They're mostly expensive follies.

I wonder what happened to this one

Grand Designs houseboat neglected by couple washes up on beach

http://metro.co.uk/2011/02/01/grand-designs-houseboat-neglected-by-couple-washes-up-on-beach-635385/

prog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJs2FlgbfQg

Kev might be onto something as Kids may only be able to afford these if the house bubble keeps growing

Kevin McCloud sails fully sea-faring cardboard houseboat down Thames

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kevin-mccloud-sails-fully-sea-faring-cardboard-houseboat-down-thames-a7008471.html

Nothing new though .. .from comments ..

Hookham's Newspaper Sailboat

http://www.cupery.net/PBArtic/Hookham.html

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship