House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

3 1/2 Year Old Swearing Like A Trooper/navvy

So I know kids like to push boundaries, and challenge authority etc.

But what do you do with the following situation:

Two young boys learning to read/spell, so have been keen to answer questions, even silly ones on spelling etc.

3 1/2 year old - "Daddy how do you spell Poo"

Daddy - " That's a bit silly, but it's P.O.O"

3 1/2 year old- "How do you spell Bum Bum"

Daddy - "Very silly, but B.U.M and then B.U.M"

3 1/2 year old - "How do you spell Stupid F***king Old Idiot"

I nearly fell out of my chair (well side of his bed).

I know this isn't Mumnet, but any suggestions welcome. Our 5 year old wouldn't do this (too interested in geeky stuff and trains) , but our 3 1/2 is a bit sharp on language, and this was entirely deliberate. Fairly certain he picked this up from school.

So I know kids like to push boundaries, and challenge authority etc.

But what do you do with the following situation:

Two young boys learning to read/spell, so have been keen to answer questions, even silly ones on spelling etc.

3 1/2 year old - "Daddy how do you spell Poo"

Daddy - " That's a bit silly, but it's P.O.O"

3 1/2 year old- "How do you spell Bum Bum"

Daddy - "Very silly, but B.U.M and then B.U.M"

3 1/2 year old - "How do you spell Stupid F***king Old Idiot"

I nearly fell out of my chair (well side of his bed).

I know this isn't Mumnet, but any suggestions welcome. Our 5 year old wouldn't do this (too interested in geeky stuff and trains) , but our 3 1/2 is a bit sharp on language, and this was entirely deliberate. Fairly certain he picked this up from school.

Read my posts and you'll pick up the missing letters in no time.

Taking this a little more seriously I was of the opinion that I wanted my youngsters to learn to swear appropriately. You know the idea - daughter gets bullied as she was being and comes out with "B*llucks!" to the bully shocking them into inaction. It seemed entirely apt advice, coming from my rough comprehensive mining community background. Well this worked perfectly in rural Somerset too except that the other little darling who was physically intimidating my 7 year old then ran to Mum. We called her (Mum's) little clique "the plastics" in the playground and she was a little Barbie clone who had complained when my daughter joined the school that she was interfering in her daughter's friendships. A nice welcome to a new school I must say.

Any way my main point is to not tolerate swearing. It is habitual and will become engrained and difficult to break. You and I know it is not a desirable quality and you need to make this clear to your youngster who is clearly bright enough to understand that some language is inappropriate.

Taking this a little more seriously I was of the opinion that I wanted my youngsters to learn to swear appropriately. You know the idea - daughter gets bullied as she was being and comes out with "B*llucks!" to the bully shocking them into inaction. It seemed entirely apt advice, coming from my rough comprehensive mining community background. Well this worked perfectly in rural Somerset too except that the other little darling who was physically intimidating my 7 year old then ran to Mum. We called her (Mum's) little clique "the plastics" in the playground and she was a little Barbie clone who had complained when my daughter joined the school that she was interfering in her daughter's friendships. A nice welcome to a new school I must say.

Any way my main point is to not tolerate swearing. It is habitual and will become engrained and difficult to break. You and I know it is not a desirable quality and you need to make this clear to your youngster who is clearly bright enough to understand that some language is inappropriate.

Indeed after I picked myself up, I did tell him off and he then hid under his duvet in shame. It was quite deliberate on his part and well he knew it.

Indeed after I picked myself up, I did tell him off and he then hid under his duvet in shame. It was quite deliberate on his part and well he knew it.

We have never taken the "shame" route. They are astute enough to know and once explained that this habit will be very difficult to break no longer experiments.

Her mother is a better influence than I.

You've trained him well. Be proud. Be very proud. You old ******ing ****.

:)

Our elder came out with the F word at 4, in front of some very proper relations. It was acutely awkward. They were utterly shocked, mind you so were we - she had never said the word before and had not heard it at home.

She had been having a minor squabble with a cousin of around the same age, and when they were both mildly ticked off said, 'Anyway, X is a stupid f*cking boy.'

At the time we were living in the ME and she was going to school on a company bus with a lot of older children, inc. plenty of boys of 10 and 11.

Had to assume that this was where she'd heard it. No use explaining this to the very proper relations, though - our names were mud for ages.

Most of our friends and relations would have laughed about it later. Not this lot, alas.

Teach them foreign swear words.

Dritsekk?

My daughter has sworn like a matelot for as long as I can remember. However, she does it with great panache and style and I feel a tear of pride in my eye. Her friends (and teachers (oh, yes, classroom don't get exempt from her wit - but teachers seem to tolerate her)) joke that she's got Tourettes. She hasn't - she's just a bad girl.

Guest eight

Let him watch battlestar galactica they got around the swearing in that.

Freak you, melonfarmer!

I taught my daughter to swear whilst driving.

Yes. According to my son it was strange that there were never as many fecking eejits on the road when I was driving as there was when his dad was driving.

Isn't the trick to be totally non-plus about it

The fact that he started with words like p o o and w e e and then went into a sentence constructed to be as shocking as possible to you shows a certain high level of awareness and timing. I'm sure he studied your immediate reaction and that is now stored in his buttons-to-push memory bank.

Showing absolutely no reaction, perhaps spelling it out for him in the same manner as you did with the previous words will confound him and trick him that the taboo words which he very well knew should illicit a more extreme response did no such thing and hence the words are either meaningless or worthless for his intended purpose.

Even if he knows they get a strong response from the teachers at school, let them deal with the 'problem' - but the fact you don't react on a consistent basis will mean he'll look for another naughty/shocking thing

Kids are manipulative little sh!ts

p.s. I do not have, nor have ever had children, but I see how my four Godchildren (aged 5 to 16) behave