House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Rent A House From The National Trust

I've looked at a couple of NT properties. One of them I wish I'd rented, but I missed out on it.

A common theme: you take on a chunk of what are usually thought of as landlord's responsibilities. And another: these are not modern properties. If you rely on heating (central or otherwise) to get you through the winter, you're going to suffer horribly in an NT place.

So I wonder if the poor guy who donated his placed to the NT realised they were gonnba rent it innit? Its a new model, BTL, bequeath to let, they must have somr hpi scumbag property 118 as their CEO. I'm sure that renting wasn't what the bequeathed intended!!

How did a charityh get its hands on so much residential property?

Donated.

So I wonder if the poor guy who donated his placed to the NT realised they were gonnba rent it innit? Its a new model, BTL, bequeath to let, they must have somr hpi scumbag property 118 as their CEO. I'm sure that renting wasn't what the bequeathed intended!!

These are all properties on large estates, they will be the game keeper's cottage, farm worker's cottage etc that are no longer used. The main property won't be let unless the original owner is there. I don't have a problem with these properties being let.

That said, I loathe the organisation that is National Trust and its operation, which is to both preserve the countryside in aspic and apply intimidatory charges for access to every bit of it they have come to monopolise by the luck of donation, especially the coastline; access that was previously free for anyone to enjoy without coercion for, or extraction of, money. Pay to visit our own countryside and beaches; we really are mugs.

Edited by LiveinHope

It seems strange to me that grand country houses were taken away from the landed gentry that lorded it of the working class, and then handed over to a landed charity that sneers at the working class. They charge ridiculous amounts for admission and for food and drink, to boot.

On the odd occasion I have gone around a property, it is full of signs saying don't touch, keep quiet, keep of the grass. They might as well ask whether you would mind only using the back staircase like the servants used to.

i have also read in Private Eye that they are also active in thwarting any development, and treat their tenanted farmers very poorly...it's a business really.

If old people keep leaving them large legacies, one day the entire country will be owned by this body, and we'll all be stuck living in the eighteenth century.

It seems strange to me that grand country houses were taken away from the landed gentry that lorded it of the working class, and then handed over to a landed charity that sneers at the working class. They charge ridiculous amounts for admission and for food and drink, to boot.

On the odd occasion I have gone around a property, it is full of signs saying don't touch, keep quiet, keep of the grass. They might as well ask whether you would mind only using the back staircase like the servants used to.

i have also read in Private Eye that they are also active in thwarting any development, and treat their tenanted farmers very poorly...it's a business really.

If old people keep leaving them large legacies, one day the entire country will be owned by this body, and we'll all be stuck living in the eighteenth century.

The annual membership is actually good value (for a year, come back to that in a sec) you get free admission & free parking. Saved a fortune doing all the NT places in my area. Also when travelling on holiday to the UK we came back via half a dozen which we visited for free. Went back to the places in our local area many times but... after a year or two we'd been there & done it & didn't renew the membership. Deffo worth it for a year or two though.

edit: might do English Heritage next for a year or two for the same reasons as above.

Edited by pl1

That said, I loathe the organisation that is National Trust and its operation, which is to both preserve the countryside in aspic and apply intimidatory charges for access to every bit of it they have come to monopolise by the luck of donation, especially the coastline; access that was previously free for anyone to enjoy without coercion for, or extraction of, money. Pay to visit our own countryside and beaches; we really are mugs.

There seems to be an automatic assumption by most people that an organisation setup as a charity by definition has to be "for the public good" (or at least beneficial).

The truth is that it absolutely doesn't and often actively harms the public good - by restricting/extracting rents for access to resources that were previously "free" (as you point out) or by creating unfair competition for resources/business opportunities through their favourable tax status and monopolistic position. And that's before we even get started on their usually un-transparent, "jobs for the boys" governance structures with the top positions in the larger charities easily pulling in a couple hundred k each (with gold plated pensions and other perks on top)

It seems to be a growing problem too. It started with the National Trust and Landmark Trust but has now expanded to cover pretty much every major museum/gallery, land/property portfolio (under the control of housing associations) and the latest wheeze - councils spinning up "local heritage" trusts which they transfer previously publically owned heritage assets to (installing a highly paid "governance team" in the process)

There seems to be an automatic assumption by most people that an organisation setup as a charity by definition has to be "for the public good" (or at least beneficial).

charity

ˈtʃarɪti/Submit

noun

an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need.

"the charity provides practical help for homeless people"

synonyms: non-profit-making organization, non-profit organization, not-for-profit organization, voluntary organization, charitable institution; More

Top tip : if you are a higher rate tax payer, don't do the gift aid and claim the tax back as a charitable contribution instead.

The gift aid and claiming your own tax back are part of the same package. Like pension contributions.

I speed-read this topic as "Rent a house from the National Front", seemed like a very strange thing to do.

charity

ˈtʃarɪti/Submit

noun

an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need.

"the charity provides practical help for homeless people"

synonyms: non-profit-making organization, non-profit organization, not-for-profit organization, voluntary organization, charitable institution; More

Exactly - it's a completely understandable assumption, but my point was its not necessarily a safe assumption (particularly when it comes to charities that help needy assets rather than people or wildlife etc)